It is currently March 28th, 2024, 3:28 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: June 20th, 2020, 9:53 am 

Our family boat had some sort of varnish put on it prior to being sold to us and it's starting to flake off.

I'm currently planning on sanding off the flaking spots, but I figured I'd put it to the knowledgeable folks at this forum before I went ahead and did anything as I've never been in charge of taking care of a canoe before.

I'm planning on using finer grade sand paper (around 1000 - 2000)
I'm also wondering if I am going to need to put some sort of protective coating on it after the season is over?

Any tips on keeping this thing in good shape would be greatly appreciated!

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: June 20th, 2020, 12:16 pm 

I have to say that this looks pretty bad to me, with the cloth fibres loose from the epoxy. Sanding may not work very well and may expose more loose threads of fibre than it eliminates.
I had a similar problem with a composite boat that I suspect hadn't been properly vacuum bagged when it was built. I had the same exposure of the cloth on the bottom of the hull. I painted the hull with a thin layer of West System epoxy and it has been good for two seasons.
Can't claim to be an expert, but this worked for me.

PostPosted: June 20th, 2020, 12:28 pm 

That looks very similar to the hull exterior of my dirt-magnet Malecite, exposed fabric weave and all. The solution to that was labor intensive, but the results were very satisfactory.

Scrubbed the jebeepers out of it.
Rolled & tipped a coat of epoxy
Wet sanded the epoxy coat after it set up
Rolled & tipped a coat of EZ-Poxy paint
Lightly wet sanded again
Rolled & tipped a second coat of EZ-Poxy paint
Lightly wet sanded again
Rolled & tipped a third coat of EZ-Poxy paint

Went from this

ImageP9211228 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

To this

ImagePA311313 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

Full write up
https://www.canoetripping.net/forums/fo ... uestion-ii

PostPosted: June 20th, 2020, 6:33 pm 

Out of curiosity, where did you buy it? They may warrant work like this, if I recall correctly you bought it at the end of the season in 2018 and you've only had it out for one season so far?

And if they don't warrant it, I'd still like to know - it would negatively impact my purchasing choice if I find myself in the market for one of these.

PostPosted: June 20th, 2020, 8:07 pm 

Mike McCrea wrote:
That looks very similar to the hull exterior of my dirt-magnet Malecite, exposed fabric weave and all. The solution to that was labor intensive, but the results were very satisfactory.

Scrubbed the jebeepers out of it.
Rolled & tipped a coat of epoxy
Wet sanded the epoxy coat after it set up
Rolled & tipped a coat of EZ-Poxy paint
Lightly wet sanded again
Rolled & tipped a second coat of EZ-Poxy paint
Lightly wet sanded again
Rolled & tipped a third coat of EZ-Poxy paint

Went from this

ImageP9211228 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

To this

ImagePA311313 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

Full write up
https://www.canoetripping.net/forums/fo ... uestion-ii

Thanks for this. I'm thinking that the issue was the "varnish" that was applied to it prior to my buying it. It didn't hold up very well in the sun and seems to be taking the epoxy or whatever with it.

I really wanted to store it out of the sun over the winter. That didn't happen and now I'm regretting it.

PostPosted: June 20th, 2020, 8:11 pm 

PacketFiend wrote:
Out of curiosity, where did you buy it? They may warrant work like this, if I recall correctly you bought it at the end of the season in 2018 and you've only had it out for one season so far?

And if they don't warrant it, I'd still like to know - it would negatively impact my purchasing choice if I find myself in the market for one of these.

It was an outfitter boat from Killarney Kanoes. I'm probably not going to deal with them. If I need help, I'll email Souris River and see what they have to say about restoring it.
In all honesty, I'd still recommend buying from Killarney Kanoes even if this boat didn't work out that well. They told me that it would do best if it was stored out of the sun and it's currently stored in a place where the sun is beating down on it for 340 days of the year (or there abouts).

PostPosted: June 21st, 2020, 9:58 am 

joshmanicus wrote:
I'm thinking that the issue was the "varnish" that was applied to it prior to my buying it. It didn't hold up very well in the sun and seems to be taking the epoxy or whatever with it.

Josh, the “varnish” peeling and delaminating adds another wrinkle to the repair methodology.

I would not want to spend the time, effort and money taping the gunwales and rolling and tipping and wet sanding a coat of epoxy that was adhered to an already suspect layer of “varnish” or spar urethane or etc.

Maybe use a random orbital sander, with a foam interface pad to better accommodate the curves of the hull, and some 220 or finer grit disks and (carefully) sand off the suspect layer before the epoxy application.

Please keep us posted; too often we never hear the rest of the story.

PostPosted: June 21st, 2020, 2:01 pm 

I’d try to find out what if anything was done to the hull finish. Contact Killarney Kanoes.
Once you know the history/background your repair/restoration will go better, faster, cheaper, and be more successful. Contacting Souris River canoes is also a good idea especially if you the facts.

PostPosted: June 24th, 2020, 4:34 am 

The folks at Souris River are really good people to talk to ...

Here’s a link to their advice on refinishing their canoes.

https://www.sourisriver.com/refinishing

PostPosted: June 24th, 2020, 6:16 pm 

Thanks everyone,

I have an email out to Wayne at Souris River, so I'll see what he comes up with.

PostPosted: July 19th, 2020, 10:56 am 

So I've done a bit of digging based on the feedback that I was getting from this forum and various other web based resources.

I guess I'll start off by saying that the boat does not appear to be in as bad of shape as was originally feared. After learning more about how Souris River makes their boats and consulting Joe Balitch's youtube channel, I was able to figure out that there is no exposed kevlar fabric anywhere on the boat and there is no issues with original construction.

A lot of the imperfections featured in the original pictures were the result of multiple coats of varnish that had oxidized in the sun on account of my not storing it out of the sun / applying UV protector. The black dots appear to be dust that had been caught under the varnish. I looked for evidence of structural weakness and there really isn't any that I can see.

So overall, it looks a lot worse than it actually is.

I'm hoping that sanding it down, washing it and then applying a coat of epoxy will freshen it up. Knowing what I know now, I might have opted for varnish, but the epoxy is already ordered, so I'm gonna use it anyway.

Having said all that, I'm gonna try and document the process and report back as I go along.

Just as an FYI for others who may come looking for information on this in the future, I'm going to post some resources I've found below.

How to Refinish a Souris River Kevlar Canoe

Joe Baltich's

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: July 21st, 2020, 6:46 am 

After applying epoxy, you will need to UV protect it as well. A good quality varnish, three coats minimum will provide some protection, but painting it will seal the deal. I actually redid a SR Quetico, just sanded it with 150 with an orbital sander and then rolled on two coats of green tremclad. Looks great, and now more UV worries.

PostPosted: July 21st, 2020, 2:40 pm 

RHaslam wrote:
After applying epoxy, you will need to UV protect it as well. A good quality varnish, three coats minimum will provide some protection, but painting it will seal the deal. I actually redid a SR Quetico, just sanded it with 150 with an orbital sander and then rolled on two coats of green tremclad. Looks great, and now more UV worries.

Yeah, we're going to apply some varnish after the epoxy and then UV protect it.

I'm going to set a goal for myself to apply UV protectant after each season from here on out.

PostPosted: July 21st, 2020, 4:10 pm 

A good quality varnish is your UV protector, it is built in. However, paint is the ultimate.

PostPosted: July 21st, 2020, 10:29 pm 

Curious as to what it weighs after all the coats of epoxy and spar varnish.