It is currently September 16th, 2021, 5:47 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: February 4th, 2021, 9:40 am 

Hello every one, Just wondering if anyone knows two-three night loops on the Georgian bay side of the Massasauga provincial park? Thank you in advance.

PostPosted: February 6th, 2021, 8:48 am 

Hi there,

It looks like I have some GPS tracks saved from a two night trip a few years back.

We launched at "Pete's Place" and paddled to Site 308 for the first night, the next night we spent on a great site on Wreck Island, and on the third day paddled back to the launch.

From Site 308 (and probably some others in that same location) we were able to get on to the 'Moon Island Trail" to go out wandering for a few hours.

GPS data shows this was about a 30km loop.

It was a nice little trip :)

PostPosted: February 7th, 2021, 4:30 pm 

That's a good loop - we like the sites in Sheldrick Bay as well. Just make sure to book Wreck Island early - it fills up as it's a desirable site.

PostPosted: February 7th, 2021, 5:41 pm 

Never been out via Pete's Place. Could you give a quick rundown on parking, sense of motorboats or cottages in the way, that sort of vibe? Thanks for any little thoughts rosseau or anyone...thanks Steve

PostPosted: February 7th, 2021, 5:53 pm 

Lots of parking, lots of cottages and motor boats in the summer. Still a nice area to go close to Toronto. If you go to anglefire site that describes the campsites you can plan a route with some privacy at your site. That said we prefer to make this an early or late season destination.
Ilya you will have to make your own loop by looking at the park map and try to reserve campsites based on how far you want to paddle each day.

Listen to advice and accept instruction, and in the end you will be wise. Prov. 19:20

PostPosted: February 7th, 2021, 8:13 pm 

steve.of.london wrote:
Never been out via Pete's Place. Could you give a quick rundown on parking, sense of motorboats or cottages in the way, that sort of vibe? Thanks for any little thoughts rosseau or anyone...thanks Steve

Definitely lots of cottages and motorboats. Particularly least fun on Wood's Bay, where there's a marina. In heavy wind, crossing the bay with the motorboats can make it a bit hairy for novice paddlers.

That being said, the further out you go (e.g. wreck island, Sheldrick Bay, etc.) you can feel more isolated and get a taste of Georgian Bay.

I would avoid the sites between Wood's Bay and Georgian Bay as they're close together, a lot of boat traffic, and frequently have large groups using motorized transport for all of their beer coolers.

Lots of parking at Pete's Place, and canoe rentals to boot if you need them.

PostPosted: February 8th, 2021, 11:04 am 

Thanks for the sense of the place. We have gone in the north side to Spider and thereabouts but not the south, so thanks for the intel. It's pretty much red like a Christmas tree on the bookings and not to gripe but can't say I love the pricing if your off for a solo trip anymore :(

PostPosted: February 8th, 2021, 7:33 pm 

One of the things that fee is paying for is the rollout of the wooden tent platforms. Another is the rollout of the e-permit so you can register your trip the night before, print it out and drive straight to the put-in at first light of dawn. And in the bayside area which I only visited myself for the first time recently, animal-proof box on the sites. Sooooo convenient, no more hanging food. Those benefits weren't quite enough for me though, so I elected to treat myself to more-better campfires than I used to.

PostPosted: February 9th, 2021, 9:50 am 

Thank you every one for the info. Please do not stop:) Lets keep the info coming. I am planning to be there on the first weekend of June. I read on the net on the boat traffic and decided to avoid going in the peak season. Satchmo mentioned heavy winds while crossing the Woods bay. I was wondering if there is a wind pattern and if there is which direction the winds will be coming in June?