It is currently July 23rd, 2021, 2:12 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Maine's Dead River
PostPosted: February 18th, 2021, 1:34 am 

Anyone have experience on Maine's Dead River? Thinking about a trip from up near Coburn Gore on the North Branch, down thru Flagstaff Lake, and then the main stem of the Dead to the Forks, and down to Caratunk on the Kennebec. Eight days?? Late June/early July. Not hoping for big flows on the main stem. Do-able? Worthwhile?

Alternate is Webster Stream - Lake Matagamon - E Br Penobscot to Medway.

Other ideas?

Any thoughts appreciated.

Thanks,
Christian

Post subject: Re: Maine's Dead River
PostPosted: February 20th, 2021, 11:21 am 

Be careful on the dead. It has one of the longest continuous rapids in the Northeast. They can range from class II to class IV, based on flows. Two dams, and mother nature can combine to make a most challenging, if not close to impossible in an open canoe with gear, run. A lot of whitewater rafters like this run.
Catch it at the right itme, and it is great.

PostPosted: February 20th, 2021, 11:28 am 

Be careful on the dead. It has one of the longest continuous rapids in the Northeast. They can range from class II to class IV, based on flows. Two dams, and mother nature can combine to make a most challenging, if not close to impossible in an open canoe with gear, run. A lot of whitewater rafters like this run.
Catch it at the right time, and it is great.

PostPosted: February 26th, 2021, 11:08 pm 

Thanks, RedSoxFan - I'm aware of the long set below Spencer Stream. Most appealing day of the trip, if we can catch it at a medium flow. Wondering about the upstream sections - what are those carries like? what is the section from the border to the lake like? remote? campsites? I've got the gazetteer and the AMC ME Rivers book. Just looking for some first-person reflections.

Was also thinking about that trip from Webster Stream to E Br Penebscot. Mostly wondering what the carry around the dam is like at Matagamon, and how the two trips might compare if anyone's done them.

Would rather head to QC but border crossings not looking likely.

Thanks,
Christian

PostPosted: March 17th, 2021, 8:40 am 

It's been a while, and apparently, I have been conflating my memory of some of the sites with that of other trips.
My main recollections remain accurate, but any details I have may or may not be associsted with that trip.
I have pulled some old photos, and am now questioning everything.