It is currently September 25th, 2021, 8:27 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Stove Questions
PostPosted: March 29th, 2021, 7:43 pm 

My 15 year old single burner Coleman 442 campstove is not burning efficiently anymore (orange flame rather than a blue flame). I tried mixing in a little carburetor cleaner in the fuel but it hasn't improved any.

1) Does anyone have any other suggestions for a repair?

2) I was looking online for a potential replacement and there don't appear to be many liquid stoves out. Canister stoves seem to be more popular. Are there any liquid fuel stoves out there that have a simmer function anymore?

A proud participant of the Wabakimi Project in Aug 2008 and August 2010! (http://www.wabakimi.org)

Post subject: Re: Stove Questions
PostPosted: March 29th, 2021, 9:01 pm 

I replaced my feather 400 just a few years ago and was surprised at first to find out how much canister stoves are the preferred choice. Eventually I realized that in fact a canister stove would suit my needs perfectly well, but I still wanted a refillable liquid stove and took what i could get. the Coleman 533 is bigger and heavier, and has only two heat levels compared to three in the 400, and the transitions between cold to heating to off for 15 mins and try to get it started again are kind of wack. Still it does work, and one heat level below maximum is better than nothing.

PostPosted: March 29th, 2021, 9:13 pm 

If you don't get enough replies here try this board.......

https://colemancollectorsforum.com/

There would be people on that board who would claim that no old Coleman cannot be brought back to life no matter what the problem is.

There are tons of used liquid fuel stoves out there, some are only good for parts but if you hunt around older model New In Box stoves are also available (eBay, facebook Marketplace, Kijiji etc.), not sure about pricing on some of these, rare ones can sometimes be priced rather high.

PostPosted: March 30th, 2021, 12:13 pm 

My first thought would be to pick up a repair kit. It looks like they include a new pump cup and generator. The orange flame is generally caused by either an air leak which causes the fuel to move too quickly through the generator and therefore not atomize properly, or by gunk in the generator that chokes off the air supply. A new generator could easily solve that.

You could also try just taking out the generator, soaking it in solvent, and putting everything pack together with PTFE sealant.

I would also try cleaning the nozzle, if you can find something small enough to fit in that hole. MSR makes repair kits with such a tool, although I think a stiff but thin wire could work as well, maybe a very small sewing needle.

This may also prove helpful:
https://classiccampstoves.com/threads/c ... led.13299/

PostPosted: March 30th, 2021, 1:16 pm 

Sounds like it needs a cleaning - check the manual on what is required for that but I know other liquid fuel stoves you have to pull the metal weave out of the tube (is that called the generator?) to clean it.

I've switched to one of the canister stoves that work with upside down canisters so it works fine in very cold temperatures like a liquid fuel stove.

PostPosted: March 30th, 2021, 2:53 pm 

Those are tough and repairable stoves. If you like it then try to get it working well again.
PacketFiend gave you good ideas.
The easiest fix is usually to replace the generator.

PostPosted: March 30th, 2021, 3:49 pm 

Take the whole top of the stove apart (burner assembly), and blow through and clean everything. Re-assmeble. I that doesn't work, then get a new generator (as said above). These last forevery.

PostPosted: April 5th, 2021, 12:50 pm 

send it back to coleman for a rebuild.

PostPosted: April 6th, 2021, 8:32 pm 

MSR Whisper Lite International if you like Naptha.
Burns gas, diesel, AV gas or kerosene too in a pinch.

PostPosted: April 7th, 2021, 9:11 am 

Let us know what you decide. There is lots of help out there on the net. My 13-year-old was taking Coleman's apart when he was in Scouts and Vents, and he was not mechanically inclined. Save a lot of 2 burners, lanterns, one burner, of models going back more than 40 years to the present. They have not complicated items, you just need a bit of patience.

PostPosted: April 7th, 2021, 7:40 pm 

Thanks for all the advice. After reviewing some of the suggested websites (who knew there was an entire forum for Coleman Collectors?) I was inspired to disassemble the stove and clean the generator. So far it is working much better!

I was leery of taking the stove apart. In case anyone else is interested in how to assemble/disassemble a Coleman one burner stove, I found these YouTube videos extremely helpful.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjhRDRRBKiU[/youtube]

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OCdVKBZdRVc[/youtube]

A proud participant of the Wabakimi Project in Aug 2008 and August 2010! (http://www.wabakimi.org)

PostPosted: April 7th, 2021, 8:55 pm 

Good job!

PostPosted: April 7th, 2021, 9:46 pm 

Wait, what? My advice was useful?

That's unpossible!

Honestly I've disassembled a Coleman exactly twice - my 425 I think, the classic two burner. It's a trooper that (almost) never fails. Last year I dismantled my MSR Expedition, I suppose the same principles apply.

Good job!

PostPosted: April 8th, 2021, 4:41 pm 

Great news.