It is currently September 25th, 2021, 7:08 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: April 18th, 2021, 3:46 pm 

Would you say the above canoe is suitable for river tripping? Anyone know how it would compare to their expedition kevlar?

PostPosted: April 18th, 2021, 3:54 pm 

Osprey is a fine river boat. Efficient range was listed at 160-260 pounds IIRC and in my experience the boat can take a little more but it's not suitable for 300+ pound loads. I'm not familiar with the gold fusion but I think all of their lay-ups are meant to be used even if they aren't quite as bulletproof as their latest expedition Kevlar. You could call or email Swift and ask about the lay-up.

PostPosted: April 18th, 2021, 4:10 pm 

justpaddlin wrote:
Osprey is a fine river boat. Efficient range was listed at 160-260 pounds IIRC and in my experience the boat can take a little more but it's not suitable for 300+ pound loads. I'm not familiar with the gold fusion but I think all of their lay-ups are meant to be used even if they aren't quite as bulletproof as their latest expedition Kevlar. You could call or email Swift and ask about the lay-up.

The Gold Fusion had a lot of fiberglass with the Kevlar. I have a Swift from the 90's in that layup It is a fine layup for rivers.

https://imgur.com/holri2a

PostPosted: April 18th, 2021, 5:17 pm 

I put several thousand kilometers on my first cedar strip Osprey, and I'm sure the Swift layup is tougher than that. It was a good all around tripper, ran lots of rivers, big lakes, etc.

PostPosted: April 18th, 2021, 6:39 pm 

It's a 2002 Osprey. I emailed swift asking about suitability for wilderness river tripping and they responded, "I would avoid rapids. It's still a composite boat."

PostPosted: April 19th, 2021, 5:40 am 

Tom-o, what kind of river tripping are you talking about? If you are going to be running C3's or higher, or making big eddy moves to impress the ladies on shore, I would say it wouldn't be the best canoe. But for wilderness tripping, running up to C2's, it will be fine. Not sure if you are familiar with the Steel River, but my first Osprey ran that around 10 or 11 times. C1's, occasional C2, lots of fast water, sometimes a fair amount of dragging. I also ran many rapids on the Namewaminikan, the Kapikotongwa, the Kowkash, the Drowning, a variety of wilderness rivers, where anything over C2 was generally ported. Keep in mind that this was simply finding the best line and shooting through it, the asymmetrical nature of the Osprey doesn't lend itself to fancy whitewater moves, such as backferries, must make eddies, stuff like that.

I guess the fear with composite boats is that the person paddling them has no skills or judgement. For many years around here, cedar canvas canoes were routinely run down rapids, and if they looked iffy, they were ported. With the advent of royalex and poly, it seems like everyone wants to run everything, and practice bumper cars with boulders.

The only question I would have about the Osprey for you is if it is big enough to do the job. If you overload it, response in white water will be sluggish. And you are looking for a dedicated white water canoe, the Osprey is not it. If you are looking for a wilderness tripper that can handle a variety of conditions, it is a good choice.

PostPosted: April 19th, 2021, 4:20 pm 

Wilderness tripping. Wabakimi, Kopka, Albany, etc. Lakes and rivers. Loaded for a week or two. Finding the best line, backpaddling and working my way slowly (was wondering how the skegged stern would be backferrying). I'm relatively new to thinking about composite canoes as suitable river trippers, as most of my tripping has been done in Royales. But I have an gold fusion Osprey, and want to paddle rivers at the moment, so I think I'm going with it (would consider picking up a royalite Raven, if I could get the green light from my wife).

PostPosted: April 20th, 2021, 7:16 am 

Wow, where could you get a royalite Raven? I thought they only made those in the heavy layup. As an aside, my cedar strip Raven saw just as much action as my osprey, and it is still going strong, I traded it to a young fella who is probably beating it up pretty good.

Just take some gorilla tape with you, it is standard in my emergency kit, I have used it a couple of times.

PostPosted: April 20th, 2021, 8:03 am 

Royalite was a Mohawk layup.. Entirely different from Royalex. I never heard of Swift using it.

PostPosted: April 24th, 2021, 12:00 pm 

My bad. I thought Swift made a couple versions of the Raven, with variable weights. Not sure on that though...what does a Royalex Raven weigh?

PostPosted: April 24th, 2021, 12:19 pm 

tom-o wrote:
My bad. I thought Swift made a couple versions of the Raven, with variable weights. Not sure on that though...what does a Royalex Raven weigh?

65 lb.

PostPosted: April 24th, 2021, 1:37 pm 

littleredcanoe wrote:
Royalite was a Mohawk layup.. Entirely different from Royalex. I never heard of Swift using it.

I’m having a brain fart; at one time Mohawk canoe molded Royalex (or R-84) hulls for some Canadian manufacturer. Anyone remember which company that was? Nova Craft maybe?

IIRC Mohawk’s R-84 had an acrylic or PVC skin on the outside of the hull to reduce weight, I think (?) it was still vinyl skin on the inside. Which seemed bass-akwards to me.

https://www.mohawkcanoes.com/pages/flat ... anoe-specs

The outer skin was less abrasion durable than vinyl, but purportedly more UV resistant. Some other manufacturers offered “Royalex Lite” or “R-light” or etc named material. Those were the usual ABS with vinyl skin inside and out, just made with thinner sheets of Royalex to save weight.

Dagger used the term “R-light”, Mad River used “Royalex Lite” or “RL” designations, Nova Craft used “RLite”. With the various sound the same names it got confusing, and I don’t remember who all used which term, but I think all of those were vinyl sandwiched.

PostPosted: April 24th, 2021, 1:48 pm 

I own a Swift Royalite, or Royalex light, whatever they called it, Raven.

When I bought it, it was listed at 52 lb. Last time it was weighed, it was 58 - whether the initial weight was above 52 or the epoxy/glass patches are just heavier than the missing plastic, I don't know. I think the royalex Raven listed at 6o lb.

-jmc

PostPosted: April 25th, 2021, 6:20 am 

jmc wrote:
I own a Swift Royalite, or Royalex light, whatever they called it, Raven.

When I bought it, it was listed at 52 lb. Last time it was weighed, it was 58 - whether the initial weight was above 52 or the epoxy/glass patches are just heavier than the missing plastic, I don't know. I think the royalex Raven listed at 6o lb.

Jmc, out of curiosity, what year is the HIN on your Royalite Raven?

That light Royalex (not R-84) Raven may have had a short production life. I could only find it listed for 2000, speced at 52lbs in RL.

PostPosted: April 25th, 2021, 10:20 am 

Mike -

2000 is about right for timing. I will look for the number, although it may have to wait until some garden stuff comes out of the garage. I also seem to recall, from looking at Swift's site before purchasing, that the Raven was also listed in some expedition composite layup, although I have never seen such a boat. Can your old records confirm or disprove this?

-jmc