It is currently September 16th, 2021, 4:10 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: April 30th, 2021, 3:53 pm 

Good afternoon,

Doug here from Mississauga, ON. Recently joined the forum, although I've read many posts over the years. My Google searches have always pointed me towards the CCR forum website.

Although I've done a fair bit of paddling over the years, I never got around to purchasing my own canoe. Always had friends to borrow from.

This seems to be the year where I've decided to get one of our own and it has been a wild experience wading through some of the offerings on Kijiji.

Canoes are overpriced, gone within minutes of posting, messages not returned, some really in terrible condition (they say it needs a bit of TLC; a 12" hole is a little more than TLC for me!), and so on.

My situation:
    need a canoe to take my 15-year-old son on his first canoe trip
    want to buy used so we can test the waters and see how much he likes it
    maybe some portages; most likely paddle to base camp

I am going to look at an older canoe this coming week. 16' fibreglass made by Fibre Kraft Enterprises. I looked them up and it's a now-defunct company from Peterborough. Looks to be in good shape with no damage and/or repairs.

Does anyone know of this company, any experience good/bad, things to watch for, etc.

Lastly, what would be a reasonable price to offer this fellow for this older canoe that seems to be in pretty good condition?

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

I look forward to participating and sharing my upcoming paddling experiences with you all.

Take care - Doug

PostPosted: April 30th, 2021, 4:28 pm 

Depends,,,

-Location, used canoes in Ottawa or GTA are more costly than in Cape Breton or Flin Flon.
-Seats, webbed seats are preferable to wooden slats.
-Keels, number of keels is inversely proportional to price.

Back in the day, any used no-name fiberglass would cost well under 500$. Nowadays, not the case.

I’d guess that boat would last:
-2 hours at 200$
-2 days at 500$
-2 weeks at 650$

PostPosted: April 30th, 2021, 4:49 pm 

I like the connection between the price and the time! (And the keels and the price!)

My response would be: max $400.

But, that's me. And that's without knowing the market, or having seen the boat. So, when I say "take my advice 'for what it's worth'", remember it's really not worth much! Depends on the quality of the canoe and how badly you need it (and how likely you are to be to re-sell it easily).

I know what you mean about adventures on Kijiji, I've seen the same canoe here have listings for $800 and $1,600, and crap boats listed for more than good ones, so keep up the research!

Good luck, Pat.

PostPosted: April 30th, 2021, 8:32 pm 

Nice post Airbag. :clap:

So true.

PostPosted: May 1st, 2021, 7:07 am 

Owning a canoe is large investment if you make it to be. For instance if you purchase one for $600 and actually go on a weekend trip once! That’s $300/day trying to get your money back is an investment. Also the market is way too hot right now. My tactic would be to rent from an outfitter this season-i know it’s not as fun as buying. But!!! I feel once things get lifted this year there will be a bunch of canoes that are for sale the end of the season.
There is a fantastic article on traversing.ca about purchasing a used canoe in this pandemic. Jon knows his stuff and is a straight shooter. Good luck

PostPosted: May 1st, 2021, 2:44 pm 

I would personally forget the used market right now. If you’re into it, plan on purchasing a new canoe in the next year or two, and do some research and test paddling to find the right canoe for you. In the meantime, rent or borrow.

The used market is out of control. A friend of mine sold a Swift kevlar canoe this spring. He bought it in 2004 for $2300. He just sold it in about 2 days on Kijiji for $3000, and could have gotten more for it if he’d waited a week or two. For the marginal difference in price between a good quality used boat in great shape, and a new canoe of your choosing, I’d opt for the new boat. As mentioned above, in the next few years there will likely be a flood of good used canoes for sale, and possibly at more realistic prices.

www.mikemonaghan.ca

PostPosted: May 2nd, 2021, 7:54 am 

No-name 16" fiberglass canoes have been selling in my area (MTL) for $50-$800, not necessarily depending on condition. Last season I checked Kijiji a couple of times a day, was too late on a bunch of them as they were (and are) selling as quick as they're posted. I ended up getting an OK one for $240 because I got a bit lucky and also the seller probably didn't realize he could have gotten triple that. Long story short, there are still deals out there as not everyone who sells a used canoe is aware what the market is willing to pay right now. If the canoe seems like a ripoff, you could still get lucky with a bit of patience.

The value estimates above seem pretty accurate to me. One note about renting: if you were to rent until, say, the end of this season/beginning of next, when more canoes will possibly get dumped on the market at better prices, how much would you have spent on rentals over the summer? Add up your expected canoe days, multiply by $50/day for rentals, and you may find that even paying a premium for a used canoe in a hot market still saves you money.

PostPosted: May 2nd, 2021, 11:50 am 

I was also looking to get a new canoe but the market is crazy as everybody can see. I see people sending EMT for canoes that are unseen by the buyer and that's too risky for me.

I was doing some calculations and I travel 3 times a year roughly, 2 or 3 four day trips and 1 seven day trip. When I rent a canoe, it comes to about $220 for the four night trips $350 for the seven day trips. The cost of a fancy new Kevlar canoe appears to be around $5000. I can go for the next 8 years for the same cost as buying. I figured I will just stay renting. I don't have as much freedom of going whenever and wherever but that's ok. It's less worrisome and it keeps some outfitters in business.

Goodluck in your search for a canoe. Check the outfitters at the end of ths season as they usually sell and buy new canoes. It will probably be a bidding war however.

PostPosted: May 2nd, 2021, 11:54 am 

Thanks to everyone for all the info and comments so far!