It is currently July 27th, 2021, 7:41 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: May 3rd, 2021, 9:27 am 

Thinking of selling a couple of older canoes but am at a loss as to what is a fair asking price.
Any thoughts?

Mad River Freedom 16, Royalex. Kevlar skid plates. Some battle scars but repaired and still paddles good.

Esquif Vertige X, Royalex. Kevlar skid plates. Set up with solo seat, air bags, thigh straps. Scratches but no splits.

PostPosted: May 3rd, 2021, 10:14 am 

I would say that under normal conditions you could get about $1500 for either boat (maybe a bit less for the Freedom as it is an older design). However, under today's crazy market you probably can get a lot more. Some local (Ottawa) posted on FB that a Langford ultralite was sold one day on Kijiji for $1800 and then flipped the next with a $3200 asking price. Old boats used to go for about 50% of a new hull if in good condition, but now I suspect that 75% of new isn't out of line.

PostPosted: May 3rd, 2021, 10:45 am 

Hey I've got a langford nahanni ultralight that i am in the process of putting in new bootlace seats. Its older and a bit beat-up but hull is stiff and watertight. What could it sell for?

PostPosted: May 3rd, 2021, 10:47 am 

Here's what I do.

Try selling those boats for some price that YOU feel is fair.
What would you pay for these boats right now?
It's beautiful when a transaction makes both parties feel like they've gotten a good deal.

What did you pay for them?
Have you thought about giving them to someone deserving? (if you can)

Just because everybody's doing it doesn't mean you have to.
Karma is a thing.

PostPosted: May 3rd, 2021, 11:22 am 

Ted
I loaned out the nahanni last year to a fellow board member. Upon return one of the seat supports had broken ,so i decided to replace all the seat dowels,hardware and seats.
This yr i loaned out my bob special UL to the same woman. And in the process must have earned enough karma to choke a horse.
I did contact someone about a month ago through kijiji who offered $1100 for the langford and that was without new seats.
You never know if you sell cheap ,that the canoe will be flipped on kijiji a week later .

PostPosted: May 3rd, 2021, 1:39 pm 

I'd be interested in the Vert X - PM me once you've set your price.

PostPosted: May 3rd, 2021, 6:02 pm 

canoetripper wrote:
Hey I've got a langford nahanni ultralight that i am in the process of putting in new bootlace seats. Its older and a bit beat-up but hull is stiff and watertight. What could it sell for?

canoetripper wrote:
Ted
I loaned out the nahanni last year to a fellow board member. Upon return one of the seat supports had broken ,so i decided to replace all the seat dowels,hardware and seats.
This yr i loaned out my bob special UL to the same woman. And in the process must have earned enough karma to choke a horse.
I did contact someone about a month ago through kijiji who offered $1100 for the langford and that was without new seats.
You never know if you sell cheap ,that the canoe will be flipped on kijiji a week later .

With respect, canoetripper, I would consider this a thread hijack.
I posted to get some ideas for pricing of the canoes I listed.
If you want thoughts on your canoe, I would suggest you start your own thread.
Regards.
Paul

PostPosted: May 3rd, 2021, 6:47 pm 

Guess i can see your point. Maybe hard up for the money

PostPosted: May 4th, 2021, 8:10 am 

I had an extended discussion with someone selling a 2006 Swift Osprey. They were asking $2,400 and publicly dropped their price to $2,200 before it sold. My reference point was my Swift Temagami bought new around the same age for $1,800. Based on that example the going rate for a 15 year old canoe could be as much as 20% more than the cost when it was new.

PostPosted: May 4th, 2021, 9:29 am 

On the other hand, I bought a Bell Magic solo for $600 and an 18' Sawyer for $500 this spring. There is no "right answer" in the used market. The right buyers and the right sellers just need to find each other.

When trying to figure out a fair price to sell at, I do factor in what I paid for it, and what a likely re-sale price will be in the long-term. I don't look at what are the craziest prices on Kijiji are at the moment (where there is now a junker aluminum cottager canoe asking $1,600).

FWIW, I'd look at the Freedom for around $800. For the Vertige X, maybe $1,500 if it was outfitted tandem, but being outfitted solo it will be a different/smaller market.

P.

PostPosted: May 4th, 2021, 3:20 pm 

I did have a ball park idea of what these boats could/would sell for and sort of finalized the plan.
I realize the cost of used is going crazy but I would rather reach a deal where everyone thinks they did ok.

Mad River Freedom $1,000 or so.
Esquif Vertige X $1,200

Will advertise here when ready to sell in a week or so. Need some pictures!.

Thank you to all that contributed their thoughts.

PostPosted: May 14th, 2021, 12:16 pm 

Talk about flipping on Kijiji . . .

Sold the Esquif yesterday only to see it advertised later that afternoon for substantially more than what I was asking.

I was pleased with what I received so I guess I cannot complain.

PostPosted: May 14th, 2021, 4:41 pm 

Hooligan,
Just noticed your location. I'm a former Sudburian too. Too bad you got taken . Kijiji is full of hustlers

PostPosted: May 14th, 2021, 4:50 pm 

canoetripper wrote:
Hooligan,
Just noticed your location. I'm a former Sudburian too. Too bad you got taken . Kijiji is full of hustlers

I don't think I was "taken". I got what I wanted, couldn't expect more than that.

PostPosted: May 14th, 2021, 5:18 pm 

If someone wants to speculate on canoes, so be it.

Last year, I drove 2hrs(each way) to pick up a royalex tandem canoe. They were selling 5 or 6 canoes, mostly Fiberglass no-namers. I asked the seller if they had any other canoes out back at which point they asked if I were a seller too and were reluctant to sell me anything. Of course, I denied any involvement and pled w/ them to take the money, considering I had driven so far.

Anyways, back to the Vertige, and solo Royalex boats in general. They're a much smaller market, of very specialized paddlers. I doubt solo royalex boats have seen the price inflation tandems have.

I'd be happy to have sold that Vertige for >1200$. I'd be nervous to think it could be flipped for much more,,