It is currently September 16th, 2021, 4:04 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: May 20th, 2021, 11:17 am 

Hey Everyone!

We are planning a canoe trip up North end of June, which requires a short vehicle shuttle (40km) from Points North and a floatplane back from Black Lake to Points North. The latest I heard from Points North is they aren't sure if they are going to provide a vehicle shuttle service this year.

If they don't provide one, does anyone know of another group or organization in that area that could do vehicle shuttles or even a personal connection that would drive a truck 40km one way and 40km back to Points North... It could be a long shot, but thought I'd check with some of the people here!

PostPosted: May 20th, 2021, 12:19 pm 

Where are you putting in? When is your trip?

I was expecting a shuttle from Points North to Cigar Lake Mine put in on Waterbury in July, maybe the 21st or 22nd.

PostPosted: May 20th, 2021, 1:12 pm 

Which shuttle is it? - might make a difference.

Only other "operation" I am aware of in the area is the fishing lodge "Wollaston Lake Lodge", just past the turnoff to Points North. Sounds like a pretty deluxe place from their web site, but maybe one of their staff would like to make a few quick bucks.

Plan B could be a really cheap mountain bike.

-jmc

PostPosted: May 20th, 2021, 5:12 pm 

We were putting in on Forsyth Lake, planning on doing the Hawkrock to Fond du Lac, June 26th. May need to look at delaying it I guess if they open up things later...

Thanks JMC for the suggestion on Wollaston Lake Lodge, may be worth giving them a call, haha or as you said be ready for a long bike ride.

PostPosted: May 21st, 2021, 8:15 am 

There's a small cafe/gas station (above ground tank with a hose)/house maybe maybe 20-30 miles south of Wollaston. No idea what the name of the place is or if anyone would be interested but it's a thought.

Alan

PostPosted: May 21st, 2021, 8:26 am 

I haven't even spoken with Points North about a flight yet. I'm hoping it'll be easier to coordinate once cases start to drop and our group has our second doses scheduled. No guarantees though! We might end up having to stick to Manitoba.

I also had the thought of driving to the put-in, unloading the group, then driving back solo to get a shuttle driver. Some areas recommend only carpooling with two people, in opposite corners of the vehicle, windows down.

Fingers crossed that things improve soon.

PostPosted: June 11th, 2021, 10:17 pm 

I contacted Wollaston Lake Lodge a few years ago to find out if any of their staff would be driving up from Saskatoon and could take me up with a boat and gear in early/mid June. They seemed particularly unfriendly to paddlers even though I had offered to "pay well".

Probably not this year but I'm always on the lookout for anyone travelling to Wollaston Lake from the Winnipeg area that could get me there (one way) and had space for one boat, one paddler and gear. Willing to pay a reasonable amount!

From Saskatoon would also work but the Peg would be better as I would be returning there.

PostPosted: June 12th, 2021, 7:29 pm 

Neil, I sent you a PM regarding Waterbury.

PostPosted: June 22nd, 2021, 10:18 am 

Points North told me they are doing vehicle shuttles this year.

PostPosted: July 14th, 2021, 3:48 pm 

I shuttle a group from black lake to points north last week,i can gladly be of service but i need aleast two weeks notice as am going canoeing on August 02nd to 10th, am from black lake sask.you can text me on my cell 306 439 7991

PostPosted: July 16th, 2021, 11:37 am 

joseph Throassie wrote:
I shuttle a group from black lake to points north last week,i can gladly be of service but i need aleast two weeks notice as am going canoeing on August 02nd to 10th, am from black lake sask.you can text me on my cell 306 439 7991

Thanks Joseph! This is good information. We cancelled our trip this year because of the fires. Next year, I hope we can take you up on your shuttle service.