It is currently August 14th, 2022, 11:54 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Winter Camping Moosonee
PostPosted: November 22nd, 2021, 9:17 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: October 16th, 2008, 9:20 am
Posts: 1478
Location: Warkworth
I was thinking of taking the train to Moosonee and travelling to James Bay this winter by snowshoe or ski.
Has anybody done this on here? If so, or even if not, any suggestions, tips or advice?

Thank you,

Sam

_________________
"It's healthy to be dirty" - Lars Monsen


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: November 22nd, 2021, 9:35 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: July 12th, 2016, 3:01 pm
Posts: 255
Sounds ambitious! Are you planning on hot-tenting or cold camping?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: November 22nd, 2021, 11:55 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: October 16th, 2008, 9:20 am
Posts: 1478
Location: Warkworth
I just love the area up there and would like to experience it in the winter. I would be cold tenting it.

_________________
"It's healthy to be dirty" - Lars Monsen


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: November 24th, 2021, 2:46 pm 
Offline

Joined: October 19th, 2013, 6:30 am
Posts: 148
Snowshoed from moose river crossing to Moosene 20 some years ago and it was an easy straightforward pull. Expect the rest of the route would also be straightforward as locals would be running snowmobiles packing things nicely.But no idea if the tidal surge is a factor. It wasn’t when we did it.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: November 25th, 2021, 10:43 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: October 16th, 2008, 9:20 am
Posts: 1478
Location: Warkworth
D.B Cooper wrote:
Snowshoed from moose river crossing to Moosene 20 some years ago and it was an easy straightforward pull. Expect the rest of the route would also be straightforward as locals would be running snowmobiles packing things nicely.But no idea if the tidal surge is a factor. It wasn’t when we did it.


How many days did that take you?

_________________
"It's healthy to be dirty" - Lars Monsen


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: November 25th, 2021, 12:58 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: July 17th, 2002, 7:00 pm
Posts: 1674
Location: Toronto, Ontario Canada
Any polar bear issues?

_________________
When a new source of taxation is found it never means, in practice, that the old source is abandoned. It merely means that the politicians have two ways of milking the taxpayer where they had one before.
Mencken
You can never have too much education-me


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: November 25th, 2021, 3:57 pm 
Offline

Joined: October 19th, 2013, 6:30 am
Posts: 148
No polar bears that far South. Memory is that is 90km from trestle to Moosenee. Four days. There was no new snow and the river is wide and windswept packing the snow for easy walking. About the last 20km snowmobiles travel up river to hidden cabins, allowing you to walk in mucklucks and pull tobbaggan effortlessly


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: November 25th, 2021, 4:37 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: July 17th, 2002, 7:00 pm
Posts: 1674
Location: Toronto, Ontario Canada
Oh, yeah??
Check this at 12:00 and onward to about 26:00
They called for extraction because they had no gun!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWJqJFYFjnM


_________________
When a new source of taxation is found it never means, in practice, that the old source is abandoned. It merely means that the politicians have two ways of milking the taxpayer where they had one before.
Mencken
You can never have too much education-me


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: November 25th, 2021, 6:31 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: June 20th, 2001, 7:00 pm
Posts: 3802
Location: Toronto, Ontario Canada
I'm not an expert but I have been (somewhat) up close and personal with polar bears.

Those don't strike me as polar bear tracks, in fact I'm not sure they are even bear tracks.

_________________
"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: August 8th, 2022, 1:42 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: April 3rd, 2003, 5:35 am
Posts: 1538
Location: NORTHERN ONTARIO
So did you go?

I lived there for a couple of years, and extensively paddled, snowshoed, snowmobiled, and even biked the area. And to be honest, while not trying to sound negative, it's not a trek I'd recommend doing in terms of "adventure". Especially in the winter, as its pretty straight forward, with flat monotonous topography.

And as for that video, (my two cents) not likely (though not impossible) that it was a Polar Bear. They typically do not ventured that far south. I do remember that once one did, and it was a pretty big deal that attracted a lot of the locals as sight seers (because it was so rare). Now if the number of sightings have increased since moving away some 20 years ago (wow, time flies) then "maybe"?

In my opinion, the area is far more interesting as a paddling adventure, than a snowshoe trek.

But if you did go and it was awesome, please share.

_________________
"That's all I have to say about that..." (Forest Gump)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: August 8th, 2022, 3:56 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: October 16th, 2008, 9:20 am
Posts: 1478
Location: Warkworth
SWIFT wrote:
So did you go?

I lived there for a couple of years, and extensively paddled, snowshoed, snowmobiled, and even biked the area. And to be honest, while not trying to sound negative, it's not a trek I'd recommend doing in terms of "adventure". Especially in the winter, as its pretty straight forward, with flat monotonous topography.

And as for that video, (my two cents) not likely (though not impossible) that it was a Polar Bear. They typically do not ventured that far south. I do remember that once one did, and it was a pretty big deal that attracted a lot of the locals as sight seers (because it was so rare). Now if the number of sightings have increased since moving away some 20 years ago (wow, time flies) then "maybe"?

In my opinion, the area is far more interesting as a paddling adventure, than a snowshoe trek.

But if you did go and it was awesome, please share.



I did not go….yet.

I have been upgrading some equipment so that I am well prepared. I am pretty familiar with that area as I have paddled a number of James Bay rivers. I would just like to see what it looks like in the winter and maybe see some northern lights.

I am simply drawn to that area of our Country. It’s beautiful in its own way.


Sam

_________________
"It's healthy to be dirty" - Lars Monsen


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: August 9th, 2022, 7:05 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: April 3rd, 2003, 5:35 am
Posts: 1538
Location: NORTHERN ONTARIO
Well then...

my only "tip" (other than what I stated above) is to bring BOTH snowshoe and skies. Reason being, is that the ice can be both tumultuous jagged, and or wind swept flat (and sometimes even eerily blue and clear). So you might have to switch back and forth between shoes and skiies often. But it all depends on the winters character that year. You would think to just follow the snowmobile tracks, but that too is not always predictable.
If it were me, I'd trek south west from Moosonee towards the Kwetabohigan, or Cheepash or even Moose Rivers (depending how far you wanna go). It's more interesting, more variety in terms of topography/geography.

If you do go to the Kwetabohigan River, my cabin may or may not still be there (suspect it would be taken over by the locals)... its an A-Frame 24X20 on the north/west side of the River with a wood stove and loft. IF you find it, take pictures, would love to see it again.

Otherwise enjoy.

_________________
"That's all I have to say about that..." (Forest Gump)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: August 9th, 2022, 11:48 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: October 16th, 2008, 9:20 am
Posts: 1478
Location: Warkworth
SWIFT wrote:
Well then...

my only "tip" (other than what I stated above) is to bring BOTH snowshoe and skies. Reason being, is that the ice can be both tumultuous jagged, and or wind swept flat (and sometimes even eerily blue and clear). So you might have to switch back and forth between shoes and skiies often. But it all depends on the winters character that year. You would think to just follow the snowmobile tracks, but that too is not always predictable.
If it were me, I'd trek south west from Moosonee towards the Kwetabohigan, or Cheepash or even Moose Rivers (depending how far you wanna go). It's more interesting, more variety in terms of topography/geography.

If you do go to the Kwetabohigan River, my cabin may or may not still be there (suspect it would be taken over by the locals)... its an A-Frame 24X20 on the north/west side of the River with a wood stove and loft. IF you find it, take pictures, would love to see it again.

Otherwise enjoy.


Hey thank you for the recommendations Swift! I think I will do one of those options instead. The Kwetabohigan would be fun to see and trying to find your cabin.

Thanks!

Sam

_________________
"It's healthy to be dirty" - Lars Monsen


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group