It is currently August 12th, 2022, 12:31 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: March 4th, 2022, 12:49 pm 

Anyone in the North Battleford area that could help with a grocery re-supply for my summer river trip from Edmonton to NIpawin? My logistics tell me that at this halfway-ish point, I may need some more food etc to carry onward and I'm not sure about the ease and security of hiking to a grocery store while leaving my gear unattended. Any thoughts?

PostPosted: March 7th, 2022, 9:28 pm 

I don't live in the Battlefords but travel through frequently. You won't find specialized products there. There is a coop grocery in the town of Battleford on south side of river, about 500 m from the river. I think it would be reasonable and safe to land south of Finlayson island and stock up. There is a minor bridge there so access should be good. I could scout it for you when I go through in April. Supplies on the North battleford side would be much further from river.

PostPosted: March 8th, 2022, 6:55 pm 

Thanks Craig
I appreciate your insight and did a google map look at the area you describe. I think that might just be all a fella is going to need. Specialized products aren't high on the priority list at this stage of the game so the good old Co-op should be a-ok. If you're cruising by and have some time to take a look in April, that would be fantastic. Thanks again.

PostPosted: April 18th, 2022, 2:06 pm 

I checked it out on Friday, there is a gentle landing about 30 m upstream of the south bridge abutment. From there a path and road up the hill to the coop. The area is park , picnic, ball diamonds etc. could be busy with people depending when you land but a good neighbourhood I think .

PostPosted: May 9th, 2022, 10:01 am 

You read my mind....that looks like a good place to hike to a store from. There's always that bit of uncertainty about leaving gear untended in a populated area but at some point, you have to have a bit of faith and/or hope and go for it. Thanks for checking it out Craig.....much appreciated!!
Cheers!

Dan