It is currently September 24th, 2020, 6:54 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 157 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next
PostPosted: June 6th, 2003, 1:59 pm 

So how about it?

What are some of your favourite books regarding the wilderness?

Some of my top favourites are

The Tracker by Tom Brown Jr.
Call of the Wild by Jack London
To Build a fire by Jack London

Particularly, the Tracker. This book totally changed the way I go out and see wilderness. Great read!!! All of Tom Brown's other books are quite good to!

That's all I can think of off the top of my head.

but I would love to hear more books that I could read.

Jeremy

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 6th, 2003, 2:15 pm 

Canoeing with the Cree

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 6th, 2003, 2:52 pm 

"Where Rivers Run" By the McGuffins
- Excellent narrative, Joanie's Writting is fantastically descriptive. A trip across an original transcontinental voyager route, entirely within Canada.

"Kaboona in the yellow Kayak" By Victoria Jason
- a novice paddling the NW passage

"Silent Spring" By Rachel Carson

"Ishmael" By Daniel Quinn
- This book has changed the way I look at the environment and other cultures around the world. A pretty Hardcore Ideology concerning global enviromental Catstrophe

Last edited by Arbor Vitae on June 9th, 2003, 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 6th, 2003, 4:00 pm 

Farley Mowat - "Never Cry Wolf" and "Lost in the Barrens."

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 6th, 2003, 4:17 pm 

Adding to the above quote mentioning the book "Ishmael" by Daniel Quinn, I also suggest "The Story of B", and "My Ishmael" by the same author.

Definately my three favourite books of all time! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 7th, 2003, 7:08 am 

"Desert Solitaire" - Edward Abbey - an account of a year spent in the canyonlands of the American Southwest as a park ranger, before extensive roading and tourist development took place.

"The Snow Leopard" - Peter Mathiessen - a search through the Himalayas for both leopard and spiritual understanding... takes place in Nepal, where religion and philosophy play a large part in the book along with the descriptions of trekking through the mountains.

Thiose two just seem to stand out this morning. Also intending to read more things by John Muir, "A Thousand-Mile Walk to the Gulf", where he became a tramp for a while and hiked through parts of America and Canada after the civil war... and "My Summer in the Sierra" where he was a sheep farmer in the lowlands of California and mountaineered whenever possible.

Also looking to read Hearne's account of his trek to the Coppermine... and have recently read through Champlain's accounts of life with the Hurons and explorations during early 1600s... very different times and very interesting.

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 7th, 2003, 7:36 am 

My favourite is Cache Lake Country. I can't recall the author just now.
It is a very relaxing read and great for browsing. There is lots of nifty old-time woodsmanship and backwoods philosophy. It changed how I look at things when I go out.

Don Burgess

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 7th, 2003, 8:40 am 

All of Sigurd F. Olson's books, especially " The Lonely Land ".

" The Men of The Last Frontier " by Grey Owl

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 7th, 2003, 8:58 am 

"Undaunted Courage" is one of my favorite adventure books. Every time that I think I've done a difficult trip, I get humbled by remembering Lewis and Clark. It is hard to comprehend the suffering that the Corps of Discovery must have endured on their month long portage around the Great Falls of the Missouri River! Am a big Stephen Ambrose fan, even if he may have inadvertently plagiarized the work of others on some occasions. Too bad he recently died. Also, I understand that the actual journals of Lewis and Clark are an interesting read as well. They are on the reading list but haven't got to them yet.

"Great Heart: The History of a Labrador Adventure" by James West Davidson and John Rugge. A nice analysis of of Minna Hubbard's, Dillon Wallace's and the initial Leonidas Hubbard 1903 expedition into the Labrador wilderness.

"The Starship and the Canoe" by Kenneth Brower was an excellent read. Some of my favorite books have been about vagabonds and their adventures.

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 7th, 2003, 9:49 pm 

I am always on the lookout for a new favorite - but - by far my favorite is "The Tent Dwellers" by Albert Bigelow Paine. It is an actual account of a 1908 fishing/canoeing excursion into an area that is now Kejimkujik National Park and the protected Tobeatic Wilderness in Nova Scotia. It is humorous and clever - following the daily activities of an extended canoe trip into unforgiving wilderness by two American sportsman and there "uncivilized" local guides. It was the book that started my interest into backcountry tripping and I would recommend it to anyone that enjoys paddling and as Paine writes: "trout as big as your leg"

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 8th, 2003, 8:37 am 

I quite enjoyed Read The Wild Water -- 780 miles by Canoe Down the Green River, by Robert Franklin Leslie.

It's the story of a boys canoe club and their trip down the Green River from headwaters in Wyoming to junction with the Colorado River near Moab Utah back in 1965. As well as being an adventure, it's the story of how a bunch of city kids could learn self-reliance in a very inhospitable chunk of North America.

john

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 8th, 2003, 10:11 am 
"The Mad Trapper of Rat River" 1930's man hunt for albert Johnson in the Yukon's harshest on foot and dog sled. Took 48 eight days to catch albert- 4 shoot outs. All in -45 below temperatures. One tough coot!!

"The Best of Robert Service" a must on Northern Trips.

"Chips from a Wilderness Log" can't remeber the Aothour right now, but wrote many of the early how to in the Woods books. The book is a collection of tips, stories and tales form 60+ years of bush living.

"Edurance" by Shakelton- a nother really tough bunch of guys.

A classic out of print that I Want to buy for my children
"Throught the Sub Arctic Forest" by Warburton Pike - about his 1890's tourist trip in the Yukon- a classic if anyone has a copy to get rid of I'll take it.

Mason's series Path of the Paddle
Song of the paddle
Thrill of the Paddle- great book for advanced paddlers- my boats don't like it as I am now getiing enjoyment from Rock jumping or boofing! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 8th, 2003, 12:23 pm 

"Chips from a Wilderness Log" was by Calvin Rutstrum. I too like Rutstrum's books, particularly his stories of encounters with native Americans in the early 1900's. Other Rutstrum books: "Paradise Below Zero"; "The Wilderness Life".

"The Dangerous River" by R.M. Patterson - autobiographical account of his 2 trips to the Nahanni River in the 1920's.

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 9th, 2003, 11:34 am 
Yukon Bushman,

have you tried www.alibris.com ? They have a copy for sale there, although it's pretty expensive. This is a great site for anyone looking for out of print books.

My favorites are "Dangerous River" by Patterson, "Paddle to the Arctic" by Don Starkell.

Eddie

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 9th, 2003, 2:06 pm 

Patterson's "Dangerous River"....that description of the old curmudgen who gets it in the face with the pancake and frying pan had me laughing for days...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 157 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next