It is currently September 21st, 2019, 8:56 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: July 11th, 2013, 11:33 pm 

Hello,

I am planning on doing a one to two month solo canoe trip next summer and I am currently researching routes. I am wondering if there is a route North from BC or the NWT that goes through the Yukon and and ends up on the ocean. I am fine with going through Alaska. I would prefer a route that stays on rivers more than lakes. In terms of distance I am thinking around 700 to 1000 km. I am an experienced paddler and have moderate experience running 2+ rapids. I have never canoed further north than Churchill, MB on the Hudson Bay.

I am currently looking at the coppermine river and it seems to be a good fit. However I want to go further west if there is a good route. I have ruled out the Yukon river as I have been told that it is a float trip and I am looking for more of a challenge.

Thanks

PostPosted: July 20th, 2013, 12:01 pm 

Welcome to the site, Great Turtle. Of course, there are two oceans you could paddle to...the Arctic and the Pacific. You should check out Mary MacCreadie's book on paddling rivers of the NWT/Nunavut. Other rivers to consider are the Peel(not challenging but its tribs are) the Mackenzie(same as Peel) the Horton, the Anderson, the Back. BC rivers like the Alsek and Tat are difficult and not long. One little done route would be to start on the Blackstone, paddle the Peel to the Arctic. Aberdeen Canyon is about an 8-10km carry. The river is rated to 3 excluding the portage sections.

PostPosted: July 21st, 2013, 3:45 pm 

jmc is the CCR expert on the area but here's a try.
Whitefish Lake by float plane, portage, Snowdrift River, Great Slave Lake, several possibilities, Coppermine River (you mentioned it), Kuglugtuk.
Please check the NT Route Forums for means to access the Coppermine from Great Slave Lake.
Hope that this is not too far from what you were asking.

A literal mind is a little mind. If it's not worth doing to excess, it's not worth doing at all. Good enough isn't.  None are so blind as those who choose not to see. (AJ)

PostPosted: August 27th, 2013, 5:27 pm 

You could go up the Rat River then down the Little Bell, Bell and Porcupine Rivers to the Yukon River and continue down the Yukon to the Ocean. You could also do the Wind, Snake, or Bonnet plume to the Peel then up the Rat.

That gets you in the NWT, Yukon and Alaska. We have done all the rivers except we flew to Summit lake Rather than lining up the Rat.

I would not dismiss doing the Yukon River. Its only a float trip if you are too lazy to paddle, it has lots of history, great scenery, lots of wild life, and great current. You could put in on the Big Salmon for a more difficult start or the South McMillian River. Then take out at the Dalton Highway, or continue to Emmonic. The section between Dawson City and Circle Alaska is particularly nice and not often paddled.

PostPosted: November 13th, 2013, 11:36 am 

Hi Guys, thanks for the great responses. I ended up acquiring Mary McCreadie's book "Canoeing Canada's NWT" and immediately falling in love with the Anderson River. As long as I can make everything work financially I am planning on going down the Anderson river this summer.

PostPosted: November 13th, 2013, 12:09 pm 

Good luck with your trip, Turtle. You won't find the Anderson very challenging, except for the flights in and out. It is beautiful.

PostPosted: November 13th, 2013, 12:22 pm 

Hi Turtle -

Beyond McCreadie, there is some more information available on the Anderson which you might find useful.

In Clayton Klein’s book, “Cold Summer Wind II” there is a description of an Anderson trip from Colville Lake to the ocean.

http://www.amazon.com/Cold-Summer-Wind- ... 0923568492

On this site, have you seen this trip report by Ted Mellenthin, Colville Lake – Anderson River – then west (almost) to Inuvik via the Eskimo Lakes? This could significantly reduce exit costs if you have time.

http://www.myccr.com/canoedb/routeDetai ... outeid=790

(PS Allan, I couldn’t find this in the new Routes section, what was I doing wrong?)

There is also a post on this site (under Wolverine River) describing what might be cheaper (and harder) access to the Anderson.

Good luck, NWT travel has certainly not grown cheaper over the years.

-jmc

PostPosted: November 13th, 2013, 1:02 pm 
CCR Site Administrator

Quote:
On this site, have you seen this trip report by Ted Mellenthin, Colville Lake – Anderson River – then west (almost) to Inuvik via the Eskimo Lakes? This could significantly reduce exit costs if you have time.

http://www.myccr.com/canoedb/routeDetai ... outeid=790

(PS Allan, I couldn’t find this in the new Routes section, what was I doing wrong?)
jmc, there are 2 methods of finding the Anderson River in the New Routes.

1. Go to navigation tab Routes, slide down & click on Search. Then type in Anderson in rectangle for 'Route Name Contains'. That brings it up here: http://www.myccr.com/canoeroutes/anders ... aufort-sea

2. Go to Navigation tab Routes, click on Browse Trip Reports Database, click on NWT - sorted alphabetically it's first on the list.

Hope this helps - that's how to find any route you are looking for in the New Routes.

PostPosted: November 13th, 2013, 1:15 pm 

Location: Livingston Montana- On the Banks of the Yellowstone River
Well, This route goes between Yukon and NWT, No lakes, historic and flows into the Ocean
Mackenzie River...longest river in Canada!! Historic, first paddled in 1789 by Alexander Mackenzie...his failed route to the Pacific in which he discovered the Arctic Ocean instead.
Let me know if you need more info. I did it solo in 98.

PostPosted: November 13th, 2013, 2:34 pm 

This is also Michael Pitt's book on that area (Colville and Anderson). He's a canoeist.

Beyond the End of the Road: A Winter of Contentment North of the Arctic Circle [Paperback]
Michael D. Pitt