It is currently September 22nd, 2019, 9:35 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: February 1st, 2016, 11:51 am 

Hi everybody! Andrew and I have started to put together our winter toboggans. We are planning on taking our new tent and stove out for the February long weekend.. Hoping for more snow!
Here's a link to part one of the build. More to follow.

https://canoecrew.wordpress.com/2016/01 ... ggan-pt-1/

thehappyadventure.com

Friends of Temagami:
friendsoftemagami.org

PostPosted: February 1st, 2016, 8:26 pm 

You had me from the construction hat! Too funny! Today, in spite of rains that washed away the 3 cm snow base here in London, I built my first winter pulk in anticipation of a mid-Feb two-nighter in Algonquin with two grizzled veterans of the MYCC canoe fraternity, one of whom I've yet to meet. I've been assured, however, that he doesn't snore. That should more than qualify him, I think. Anyway, I researched ideas for toboggans and pulks, simple ideas promising even simpler assemblies and gentle swooshing sounds on pristine snowscapes. I used my kids' old light-duty plastic sled and jerry-rigged PVC pipes with rope and carabiners to a swanky backpack hip-belt. Making it might prove more fun than actually pulling it. Can't wait! Sorry I can't post pics of it. Posting pics has proven to be beyond my limited attention capability and seems to involve opening a Flicker or similar account elsewhere, and I hesitate to do so. Woe is me. But I'm consoled by your efforts, albeit a bit envious of your fearlessness, and Andrew's, to actually build stuff__ and with wood! If you're not already exhausted from googling toboggans, you might take a look at Dave Hadfield's builds. He has some amazing stuff on his own winter camping blog. Looking forward to seeing more of the work-in-progress! Such fun!

PostPosted: February 1st, 2016, 8:36 pm 

martin2007: the hat looks good, right?! And I matched my lipstick to the red stripe in my plaid shirt, in case you didn't notice :rofl:

I've been doing so much toboggan-googling lately, I'm sure I've seen Dave's stuff, but I can't place it. They're all sort of blending together now..
Building them has been fun so far, but I can't wait to take them out to the snow!
If you do ever decide to post the photos, I'd love to see them. Really interested in your hip-belt system. We can't afford fancy leather tump lines after all of this new gear!

thehappyadventure.com

Friends of Temagami:
friendsoftemagami.org

PostPosted: February 1st, 2016, 10:19 pm 

Nice workshop!

Best wishes with the build.

PostPosted: February 1st, 2016, 11:08 pm 

Thanks, Paddle Power!

Yeah, sure is handy to have Andrew's workshop, especially as our apartment is way too tiny for the storage of all our new winter gear!

thehappyadventure.com

Friends of Temagami:
friendsoftemagami.org

PostPosted: February 2nd, 2016, 8:51 am 

Sounds interesting so far. Is the plastic pretty rigid at 1/4"? I know nothing about these so Im curious what the end product will look like. Is it like the wooden ones that people used to downhill sled on? Thanks for the write up.

PostPosted: February 2nd, 2016, 9:05 am 

GRS Riverrider wrote:
Sounds interesting so far. Is the plastic pretty rigid at 1/4"? I know nothing about these so Im curious what the end product will look like. Is it like the wooden ones that people used to downhill sled on?

The plastic was really rigid when it was still in a huge 4'x10' sheet, but once it was cut down to widths of 16" it got pretty floppy. It's kind of like a very long, slippery cutting board. It will end up looking much like a traditional wooden toboggan, with a curved front, but much longer to accommodate our gear. Hopefully we will get more done soon and I'll post an update!

thehappyadventure.com

Friends of Temagami:
friendsoftemagami.org

PostPosted: December 10th, 2016, 3:22 pm 

Well done. Enjoyed the build read.