It is currently August 12th, 2020, 4:39 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: July 16th, 2020, 1:04 pm 

You will pick up the Catlonite just before Terrace Bay and follow it straight up to Sun Road South. Dont have to go near Longlac. Ill send you some maps later, on a trip this weekend

PostPosted: July 18th, 2020, 8:21 am 

If you're feeling adventurous you can take Sultan Industrial Rd to shave off almost an hour off the drive. It's about an hour on gravel though, but well traveled and maintained. I last took it two weeks ago and it's good.
Connects 144 to 129, then you take 101 west to Wawa. Here are the turnoffs:
https://goo.gl/maps/aUs4oQB9UzbTDn6dA
https://goo.gl/maps/3bzP1Mk4bPbjirfW9

PostPosted: July 25th, 2020, 7:54 am 

Jonathan Kelly wrote:
If you're feeling adventurous you can take Sultan Industrial Rd to shave off almost an hour off the drive. It's about an hour on gravel though, but well traveled and maintained. I last took it two weeks ago and it's good.
Connects 144 to 129, then you take 101 west to Wawa. Here are the turnoffs:
https://goo.gl/maps/aUs4oQB9UzbTDn6dA
https://goo.gl/maps/3bzP1Mk4bPbjirfW9

Hi Jonathan,

I just wanted clarification on this, and it might clarify it for others in the future reading this thread. I'm not heading through there anytime soon, but when I read your idea of saving time using the Sultan Industrial Road rather than the Hwy 17/Trans Canada I was surprised and thought I'd most definitely take that route in the future to save an hour on the way from the GTA to Marathon or whatever. But when I looked at the maps, it doesn't seem to save time.

I've attached a few images below. One is a direct trip from Chelmsford to Wawa along Hwy 17/Trans Canada. This is a distance of 511 km and a time of 5 hours, 31 minutes.

Attachment:
temp Chelmsford to Wawa.JPG

Going the other way, from Chelmsford to Watershed/Sultan Industrial Road, then from there to Wawa is in two legs in the maps below. First is 153 km and 1 hour, 39 minutes. The second is 280 km and 4 hours, 53 minutes. This would be a total distance of 433 km (78 km less than Hwy 17), and a total time of 6 hours, 32 minutes (About an hour more than on Hwy 17).

Attachment:
temp Chelmsford to Watershed.JPG

Attachment:
temp Watershed to Wawa.JPG

It's definitely a shorter distance, but do you say that it's a shorter time since in reality the driving time down Sultan Industrial Road is a lot less than Google estimates?

I just want to note for anyone who might be reading this, the drive along Hwy 17 (IMO) is far, far nicer with spectacular views along the shore of Lake Superior between Sault Ste. Marie and Wawa. It might be worth the extra kilometers (and possibly extra time) if you haven't passed that way before.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: July 25th, 2020, 2:36 pm 

Hey Brad, without a doubt...if you have the time, 17 is a far nicer drive with more amenities and easier on your car (actually I'm replacing a $750 windshield right now thanks to a rock chip from Sultan--but don't worry, it's well graded and maintained). On the other hand, eventually the 17 drive becomes less thrilling if you do it a lot and you just want to get the drive done ASAP. Not to mention you're less likely to hit highway repairs in the summer and probably a safer drive in the winter (LSPP is a bit notorious...I feel safer taking Sultan in snowy conditions).

But Google oddly has no perception of speed on Sultan despite the data they collect from people. It's definitely almost an hour faster. Google must think it's a 40km/h gavel road.

PostPosted: July 25th, 2020, 4:32 pm 

You're right about the speed assumptions, Brad - I checked the route on Google Maps as well, and the driving directions state that it spends 96.5km on Sultan Industrial Road, with a predicted time of 2hrs, 27 mins. So, about 40 km/h.

If it's safe to go ~80 km/h then you're shaving half the time off of that, dropping the total to about 3hrs 45 mins for that leg, plus 1hr 39mins for the 153km to Sudbury (I used the Esso at the corner of Sultan Industrial and Hwy 144 as my waypoint), for a total of 433 km in about 5hrs 19 mins. Unless Google Maps is *really* wrong (it does some weird dipsy-doodle turning about 10km west of 144, for some reason), so if it's <1hr from 129 to 144 then it would save a lot of time.

All that said, we're definitely taking 17 on the way up for our trip in August, but we might take the other route on the way back if we're tired of scenery and just want to get home. Depends how much of a beating I want to put my vehicle through, I suppose ;)

PostPosted: July 27th, 2020, 12:10 pm 

Nice to see all this new activity on an older thread. I will be watching for updates over the coming month as this route has made my short list for an Oct trip this fall, with the competitors being Ranger L. or the Sand River. I am off to do the Dunlop loop in 4 days time, but if Dunlop is too busy for Aug long weekend, than I may end up driving the other 6hr to head up that way and pick one of the other routes anyhow.
Have great safe safe trip PaddlingGal and we look forward to hearing about the current status.

Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit. ~ Edward Abbey