It is currently June 19th, 2019, 10:47 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Gaia Glitches
PostPosted: April 11th, 2019, 4:30 pm 

I have Gaia on my Android phone. Quite often I cannot see either the topo or the sat pic of where I am but can see elsewhere. It's quite erratic as well---I might see my area but then I scroll or zoom and the image disappears. Anyone else have similar probs? thx

Old canoeists never die---they just smell that way.

Post subject: Re: Gaia Glitches
PostPosted: April 11th, 2019, 6:32 pm 

I use Gaia GPS on an iPhone while hiking and sometimes if I am low in a valley I have to get higher up for it to catch onto my location. Sorry I can't answer your question but how do you get the satellite to appear? Did you buy a map layer? There is a US satellite layer available but does not seem to extend to my area (around Huntsville).

I bought the Gaia app right when it first came out, was able to use satellite imagery and import my own maps, then it all got stuck behind a paywall after an upgrade and those options were no longer available unless I paid - kind of annoying.

PostPosted: April 12th, 2019, 7:51 am 

I have Gaia on Android, and it seems to have worked well over the years, I haven't noticed issues that Wotrock mentioned. That said, I haven't used it since last fall.

Redstart mentioned map layers. On Android you can download various layers, I've attached a sceenshot of what I see on the app. I've never had an issue finding topos or satellite views for anywhere in Ontario.

That said, I've heard that people who use Avenza Maps really like that platform/app a lot, it might be worth looking into if Gaia isn't thrilling you.

And Redstart, you might consider emailing or otherwise communicating with the folks at Gaia. I originally got the app on an iPhone 3GS (!) years ago (and paid), then when I switched over to Android, it seemed like I would have to pay again. After emailing them, they set me up so that I had full access on the new phone. Anyway, they seemed helpful ...

Attachments:
temp map.jpg
temp map.jpg [ 116.82 KiB | Viewed 630 times ]

PostPosted: April 12th, 2019, 6:23 pm 

RM---I don't have any prob with the sat signal. It's just that it shows me in the middle of a blank square with sat pix or topo maps in the surrounding squares.

BT---I think my screen shows the same menu as that but not everything is avail.

PostPosted: April 13th, 2019, 10:22 am 

THanks Brad. My Satellite @Mapquest only works when really zoomed out. Otherwise it's topo. T

The Satellite that you have selected from @Mapbox is $8.49/month or $54.99/year. You must have Gaia Pro. I'm not sure if I'll buy it when I can load Apple Maps or Google Maps and get the same satellite. It would be nice though.... to have the ability to see my tracks on the satellite imagery.

Wotrock, does your satellite only show when zoomed out? I also find that when you press the big circle at the top of screen (to show direction) and then try to zoom in or out, the map changes it's size on you and it's a little confusing! Maybe that is what's going on?

PostPosted: April 17th, 2019, 10:08 am 

With Avenza, there are no satellite photos available to download from their map store. Google maps can work offline on a phone but switching back and forth with sat photos had some problems (fuzzy memory for exact details).

It should be possible to add PDF files into Avenza if a sat photo can be copied into a PDF and then exported into the phone app or into a computer and then into phone. This might take some time (and I find top maps perfectly acceptable for now).

In the past I was thinking about printing sat photos and using them for higher resolution in some problem areas in combination with top maps and tracking over the phone. This might be enough to get by on while being out there.

PostPosted: April 17th, 2019, 8:41 pm 

Thx, FT. I have Avenza and it's good for what it does but I still like the sat pix. I am ticked off at Gaia for selling me an app that doesn't work properly on my phone.

PostPosted: April 19th, 2019, 3:50 pm 

Wotrock... Avenza doesn't provide sat photos in their map store but will show Google sat photos stored in the phone offline... so it's possible to switch back and forth between top maps and previously downloaded sat photos.

In the past I had some problems with the offline Google sat photos but they're working fine today for some reason. A problem with Google is the sat photos expire after thirty days and after that the menu won't work so another download will be necessary... a minute or two with wi-fi... the "expired map" shows in the menu and a touch is all that's necessary to download.

You'll have to first download a map to use in Google maps offline. To get that, get into Google maps and touch the three horizontal lines in the white space in the upper left. Touch offline maps in the menu... Google will prompt you to download a map for your current GPS location, or you can select another map by navigating to where you'll be with screen swipes. Download the map, it'll only be good for thirty days after which it'll need to be downloaded again.

In Avenza and using their top maps, and hopefully while tracking (I haven't tried using sat photos while tracking yet)... you can switch to the satellite view of the area you're in, by touching the three vertical dots at the lower right... open view in Google Maps in the menu. The map you downloaded previously should show your GPS location. To switch to satellite view, touch the underlined diamond icon in the upper right... then touch satellite in the menu, and your GPS location will be shown in the satellite photo. Touch the return < in lower left to return to the Avenza top map.

Takes longer to write than to do... the Google satellite photo resolution is high enough to resolve cars in the Algonquin map I downloaded (Opeongo access parking lot), while the Toronto sat photos seem to be sharper. I'll try using this while tracking in Avenza this weekend... hopefully the past Google maps sat photos problems have disappeared. Happy Easter!

PostPosted: April 21st, 2019, 9:23 am 

Initial tests on switching back and forth, to and from Google offline sat photos while tracking on Avenza top maps are good, except that the sat photos now show in black and white instead of color as they previously were after downloading. Zooming in and out, no problem, no blank areas in the sat photo coverage.. The track does not appear on the sat photos but the GPS'd location shows up and matches the tracking on the top map. There were losses in sat photo resolution in the past as well.... yesterday resolution was good, parked cars could be resolved well enough to be recognizable, we'll see if that degrades with time.

PostPosted: May 21st, 2019, 6:35 am 

Avenza's top map tracking combined with Google Earth sat photos still working OK... the past problems of blank areas and poor resolution on photos seem to have disappeared, maybe due to a fix in Android or Google. Google will remind you to update the sat photos previously downloaded after thirty days. This happened last night in a notification, downloaded again for another thirty days.

PostPosted: May 21st, 2019, 6:36 pm 

It looks like my probs with Gaia are over. I just got a notice to renew for another year for $25-$30. I see no reason to pay as other free apps seem to have the same features and functionality or better.