It is currently July 19th, 2019, 12:59 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: April 16th, 2019, 10:37 am 

Hi everyone, I asked a similar question a while back, so forgive the repetitiveness, but it's a more focused question this time. Plus, I think you guys enjoy doing this anyways :p

Thinking about going camping the first weekend of May, somewhere around Toronto. The first question is, how do you think the conditions will be? It's been a cold, wet spring so far in Toronto. Choosing early May because I'd rather deal with the cold than with the bugs. But of course, it could be damp and rainy as well.

The second is the site/route suggestion. We're looking for a place 1) not more than 3.5 hours away from Toronto (ideally 3 or less), and then 2) a max. 3 hours of canoeing and portaging and only one site to stay on (again, ideally even less, definitely not more than 10km in total). Reason is that a few people will join us on Saturday but then we have to head back on Sunday, so can't be anywhere too far. Just a relaxed weekend in the woods. 3) Ideally a serene lake with fishing (and ideally no fishing boats) 4) AND swimming and 5) a flat and wide campsite that attracts a good amount of sun. Doesn't have to be Algonquin. Up for HHWT as well, or again, anything within a 3 or 3.5 hour drive from Toronto. Never been to Kawartha Lakes; perhaps that's an option as well.

Misty Lake was suggested previously, but that's more than 10KM. Would be great to go there one day.

Thanks in advance :)

Thanks

Last edited by sepandee on April 16th, 2019, 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: April 16th, 2019, 11:32 am 

Poker Lakes would be an ideal choice based on your criteria. It is part of the HHWT system but not in the Frost Center area. Lots of big open sites for larger groups and you can decide on no portages or as many as you like, most portages are less than 300m, most are about 150m-200m. You can be miles/hours from the car or you can be 10 minutes from the car, all up to you. It is about 1.5 - 2 hr hr from Toronto depending on your speed and traffic.
That early in May there will be no crowds and it is still cold enough for the Splake to be biting.

Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit. ~ Edward Abbey

PostPosted: April 16th, 2019, 11:57 am 

I bailed on the first wknd in May. I don't think the ice will be out of either Algonquin or Haliburton. We have reservations for both from May 8th-13th, but have my doubts as to the ice being off either location at the front end of our trip. Possibly have to do some car camping before heading back country.

Fingers crossed though. Satellite showed some open water on Simcoe and some of the Kawartha Lakes the other day, so QEWII, Kawartha Highlands and even Frontenac may also be possibilities ... but I don't think these parks are particularly trouty.

PostPosted: April 16th, 2019, 5:39 pm 

To be honest, as long as it's over 5C at night, I don't mind it. A bit of rain, i don't mind. It's the non-stop wet conditions, the heat waves, the motor boats, young roaring crowds that yell as if they're on the edge of the cliff and need to yell, and the bugs that I can't stand.

PostPosted: April 17th, 2019, 5:13 am 

You should look at the Friends of Algonquin facebook page for conditions in Algonquin right now, your trip will be limited by where the ice is out. Big rains coming which should help but I don't think it's going to melt by the first weekend of May. Maybe someone knows how much earlier ice goes out in Kawartha highlands compared to Algonquin PP? If Kawartha highlands is ice free you'd have your choice of sites, there's a nice big one at the end of Stoplog lake.