It is currently June 19th, 2019, 10:38 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: June 10th, 2019, 2:10 pm 

I have the opportunity to purchase what has been described as a very old Cedar fiberglass canoe in need of a lot of work. Just interested in getting some feedback from people who have the knowledge as to what I should be looking for when I go to look at the canoe to determine if it is salvageable or if it's past saving. I don't mind learning what to do and putting in the work but I want to make sure that what I buy is worth trying to save. Any advice any of you might have would be well appreciated. Thanks.

Attachments:
rsz_webpnet-compress-image.jpg
rsz_webpnet-compress-image.jpg [ 99.14 KiB | Viewed 321 times ]

PostPosted: June 11th, 2019, 12:02 am 

Wolfring

To be brutally honest- all cedar canoes can be restored/repaired/recreated. It just depends on personally whether it is worth it. I love wooden canoes and think they all deserve a second or third life but that’s just me.
Fibreglass on cedar is a boat killer! The glass traps moisture against the planking and rots from outside. And as the ‘glass is basically glued to the planking, removal and repair is a pain if not impossible in some cases. Unfortunately fibreglass was seen as a quick fix for canvas replacement on old cedar canvas boats in the 60’s and 70’s and a lot of hulls have suffered this fate.m
Fortunately many of these jobs were poorly done and the ‘glass has started to delaminate so removal is somewhat easier. Note I’m assuming you want to remove glass and restore canoe.
There is lots of advice around on how to do this and shat to expect. May I suggest the wooden canoe heritage association website and forum as a first stop. Next try Mike Elliott’s blog and book This Old Canoe- excellent stuff for DIY repairs- google is your friend here!
Going by the photo submitted this is a project! Even without ‘glass on the hull , the decks are s mess and need replacing. The repairs indicate stem rot and repair but how well was it done?
Can’t tell about planking but not broken ribs obvious in the photo supplied. Outwales rotten and or it in a few places- need replacing though I Wales appear ok. Need more pictures for better assessment.
Bottom line, I wouldn’t expect to pay more than a couple hundred bucks for this absolute tops. You’re looking st a ton of time to remove glass and about $1500 materials to bring this back to life!
Check out WCHA website for more advice.
Bruce

PostPosted: June 11th, 2019, 4:51 am 

ya, what Pook said. More pics, closer up would help. I'm guessing from the looks that polyester resin was used, which is a good thing, as it tends to not bond with the wood, and is fairly easy to remove. I wouldn't pay anything for it, as it needs a whole lot of loving. Even if it were given to me free, I would have second thoughts about restoring it.

PostPosted: June 11th, 2019, 9:41 am 

BTW
My apologies for all the spelling mistakes in earlier reply- I was typing on an Iphone on LRT and bus!
I mentioned the WCHA- there just happens to be a timely thread on fiberglass on a cedar canoe right now!

https://www.wcha.org/forums/index.php?t ... ing.16254/

Bruce

PostPosted: June 11th, 2019, 11:50 am 

Thanks so much for your replies. I am going to look at it tomorrow. He's only askng a couple hundred for it so depending on what I find when I get there it may be worth it just to get as a canoe to learn on. Cheap investment to figure out what I'm doing make my mistakes on so that the next time I have a better idea what I'm doing. And it just seems like fun. I'm up for a challenge. I just restored an old Kevlar canoe and it's because of all the great threads on the site that I was able to figure out how to get it done and come up with a really great-looking canoe at the end of it. Maybe I'll find a spot where I can post some pictures of that project. Thanks again for taking the time to respond.

PostPosted: June 11th, 2019, 5:22 pm 

Boat looks OK to me.
Fiberglass will come off with heat and some effort.
Go to Kettle River Canoes and view Mike Elliots blog.
He restores old W/C canoes.
Lots of info there.
I say go for it.

PostPosted: June 12th, 2019, 11:11 am 

Went and took a look at the canoe this morning and I think I'm going to have to pass. I think it's a little past my skill set and a lot past what equipment I have available. The ribs look pretty good seemed stiff and stable. But the cedar on the outside of it seems very thin and very crackly for lack of a better word. When I push on certain areas it felt like an old bushel basket that was ready to fall apart. I'm not sure how much of the canoe frame stability those exterior Cedar pieces are supposed to provide but it felt like to me a lot of it would have to be replaced. So a bit disappointed but I'll keep looking for another project. Thanks for your input .

Attachments:
rsz_20190612_105228.jpg
rsz_20190612_105228.jpg [ 139.96 KiB | Viewed 174 times ]
rsz_20190612_105246.jpg
rsz_20190612_105246.jpg [ 126.09 KiB | Viewed 174 times ]
rsz_20190612_105237.jpg
rsz_20190612_105237.jpg [ 127.24 KiB | Viewed 174 times ]
rsz_20190612_105257.jpg
rsz_20190612_105257.jpg [ 131.38 KiB | Viewed 174 times ]

PostPosted: June 12th, 2019, 12:20 pm 

Cedar canvas canoes are a labour of love- they take a fair bit of regular maintenance and upkeep but I think they may than repay that in the pleasure derived paddling them.
The pictures actually make this Old Canoe look better than I originally thought. I don't see any cracked or broken ribs either nor and really terrible planking. No really bad rib tops visible either.Stems need some work and new decks and new outwales but I've seen a lot worse restored. You'd be surprised how this might look once varnish removed.
No photos of the 'glass or exterior- that's what I'd worry about.

Fully understand your assessment however. This is a serious PROJECT.
Bruce

PostPosted: June 12th, 2019, 5:05 pm 

Good decision, in that second photo, a lot of the planking looks bad. It should not be spongy to the touch either, should be rock solid. I don't know where you are, but I've got one in better shape than that, needs a new home.

PostPosted: June 12th, 2019, 10:16 pm 

RHaslam wrote:
Good decision, in that second photo, a lot of the planking looks bad. It should not be spongy to the touch either, should be rock solid. I don't know where you are, but I've got one in better shape than that, needs a new home.

I'm in Ingersoll just east of London.