It is currently October 17th, 2019, 2:55 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: October 11th, 2019, 3:52 pm 

After many years of making do with an old F150 last week I finally was able to get my "dream truck" at 2012 Toyota Tundra.

The truck came with a cap installed which also has t-channel slots by yakima already built into the cap!! Great news right???

So yesterday I ambled down to my local yakima/thule dealer to see what I needed for a canoe rack.

Shocker the two "bars" plus hardware as well as a canoe strap down accessory came to about $1000 CAD (Canadian)....

This is almost what I paid for my Canoe! So I was wondering if I could use some sort of t-bolt solution - like use t-bolts in the t-track to fasten some 2x4 as cross bars and then just mount the canoe on that.

Anyone done this? I talked to Yakima yesterday and they said if I got their "Anchor plates" I could use a 5/8 bolt on them. Wondering what some of the folks on this forum have done (if anything)? I am generally putting the canoe on and off the truck on my own so it's difficult for me to muscle it up without risk of dinging the vehicle.

That's why I am looking for something that allows me to slide the canoe on and off from the back without much trouble.

On my old truck I had build a rack out of scrap lumber that was awesome - I could slide it in an out of the truck without issue and I customized it to make sure it was high enough to slide the canoe on and off without scraping off the roof.

My wife says I should just take the cap off the truck during the canoe season which is an option but then I have to store the cap somewhere and plus I lose all that sweet secure storage space and potential truck camping option....

PostPosted: October 11th, 2019, 4:24 pm 

Keep the cap, use foam blocks for the boat and drill or weld on "perfect" attachment points to the body.

My Tacoma came with the perfect frame holes for carabiners on the sides (rear wheel wells), webbing loops on the hood and the boat and vehicle become one absolutely solid mass. I've driven thousands of km without a single adjustment needed.

One downside, the ropes and blocks will mark up the fancy new vehicle finish, doesn't bother me because my Tacoma wasn't new when I got it and has lots of dents, dings and scratches already so a few more don't matter.

PostPosted: October 11th, 2019, 4:45 pm 

I have foam blocks and that isn't a big issue to actually put the canoe on the cap. I don't want to start drilling into anything on the body because if my history is any indication that would turn into an unmitigated disaster.

I'm loathe to put any marks or dings at this point because the truck is blemish free. That's the downside of getting newer truck. My old truck had entered "beater truck" territory so I could beat on that thing without reservation... If I could just pop the screen out of the little windows on the cap that would work because with the foam blocks I could then attach belly straps to the bed rails.

But again .... not a beater truck yet....

PostPosted: October 11th, 2019, 5:25 pm 

Look for a used rack. There are lots of them out there.

PostPosted: October 11th, 2019, 5:44 pm 

daypaddler wrote:
Look for a used rack. There are lots of them out there.

True their are a lot on kijiji but I find all the terminology very confusing. The ads all seem to be very brand specific like " roof rack from a corolla". Ok does that fit my set up??

PostPosted: October 11th, 2019, 8:37 pm 

Yeah some of the mount kits are vehicle specific but the bars might still be worth it. I just picked up a free set of bars and mounts for a 2011 honda which I don't have, so the mount kit does not do me any good but the bars are awesome.

I also got a set of bars and universal rail mounts for $75 - easily a $400 deal. These fit any vehicle that has the rails on both sides that go front to back, which both my Suburban and my VW Golf Wagon have. That was an amazing deal.

Paid full price for another set of universal rail mounts and bars and that stung a bit but pretty sure it was still only about $400 or $500.

On my old mini van I used the Thule permanent mounts on the front - you have to screw them into the roof but there is a heavy duty silicone gasket to prevent it from leaking. And once on they stay on. They were relatively cheap and if you buy the ones that fit the square bars, the bars a lot cheaper than the aerodynamic bars.

I drive 100km per day commuting in my VW with my square bars permanently mounted and I don't notice it on my mileage so it is not that bad.

PostPosted: October 11th, 2019, 8:43 pm 

BTW I find the straps from those kits to be lower quality compared to the MEC brand straps that are actually cheaper.

And back to your DIY solution it will probably work. I've seen a number of DIY solutions that don't look as slick as the store-bought stuff but they work just fine. If it seems sturdy to you then it probably is.

PostPosted: October 12th, 2019, 7:32 am 

I don't use Facebook but Facebook marketplace is another major source for used stuff. Maybe you can find a used rack that was on a pick-up cap.

Earlier this week I paddled with a guy that has a big heavy (100 pound) rubber mat in the back of his pick-up so we just put a canoe and a kayak in the back and strapped them in at the front so they couldn't escape. The cab breaks the wind so they ride nicely back there. He doesn't have a cap but if you can still lower your tailgate maybe that's another option for you.

PostPosted: October 12th, 2019, 10:25 am 

ameaney wrote:
I have foam blocks and that isn't a big issue to actually put the canoe on the cap. I don't want to start drilling into anything on the body because if my history is any indication that would turn into an unmitigated disaster.

I'm loathe to put any marks or dings at this point because the truck is blemish free. That's the downside of getting newer truck. My old truck had entered "beater truck" territory so I could beat on that thing without reservation... If I could just pop the screen out of the little windows on the cap that would work because with the foam blocks I could then attach belly straps to the bed rails.

But again .... not a beater truck yet....

If you are looking for belly tie-downs for your canoe, can you pry up your topper and install these?
https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5047-417/ ... GMEALw_wcB

They work great for under the hood and under the tailgate, too.

PostPosted: October 12th, 2019, 6:45 pm 

If you are looking for belly tie-downs for your canoe, can you pry up your topper and install these?
https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5047-417/ ... GMEALw_wcB

They work great for under the hood and under the tailgate, too.[/quote]

I am aware of those and they actually could work if I pry up the cap. Definitely an option to consider as part of the solution.