It is currently May 25th, 2020, 5:05 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Canvas canoe pack
PostPosted: April 14th, 2020, 11:00 am 

Good morning!

I am in the market for a traditional style canoe pack and I was wondering if anyone knew of any Canadian companies that manufacture portage packs anymore? Looking for something along the lines of a frost river #3 pack.

Thanks

Post subject: Re: Canvas canoe pack
PostPosted: April 14th, 2020, 2:57 pm 

AndrewR,

I was looking for same thing a few years ago and had ZERO luck. Woods - nope! Ostroms- no longer...
Tilley has a canvas "school backpack' but that is about it that I found.

I ended up haunting every army surplus store i drove by and frequenting the MEC swap and Kijiji pages before finding my Woods #9 packsack with tumpline via an online ad.

Good Luck in your search- and no, mine isn't up for sale...

Bruce

PostPosted: April 14th, 2020, 7:05 pm 

Andrew, a decade ago MEC carried a line of packs sold by Hooligan Gear, a company located in Barrie, Ontario. The packs were made in China. They weigh 2.3 kg./5 lbs. each and are made of a tough nylon fabric.

I bought a couple of the 110-litre bags and even got the bag liners. Ten years and many trips later - and a visit to the Gear Repair Shop in T.O. for some seam reinforcement - and they still make up the core of our pack setup, along with a Watershed Colorado bag and a 100-liter Arcteryx duffel bag. We've somehow missed out on those big blue barrels that seem to be de rigeur these days!

Unfortunately, Holligar Gear shut down around 2015.

Kijiji has some used Ostrom or Hooligan packs that appear from time to time. The Canadian Outdoor Equipment Store in Port Credit may be able to track something down for you. One of the packs - the 123-litre Frost River Grand Portage - goes for a stunning $530. It is made of waxed canvas.

https://www.canadianoutdoorequipment.co ... -pack.html

Good luck in your search!

PostPosted: April 14th, 2020, 8:06 pm 

Heh heh, I have one of those Blackfeather cordura packs somewhere north of 100 litres in size, it just won't quit and I can't get myself a barrel, or even a fancy waxed canvas unit which expense I could probably rationalize somehow or otther, until it does.

PostPosted: April 14th, 2020, 11:09 pm 

Not Canadian made, but the Duluth stuff is the bomb. Exchange rate, not the bomb.

PostPosted: April 15th, 2020, 10:16 am 

I'm still a fan of my huge blackfeather as well; can fit 3 x 30 liter barrels in it along with other items stuffed in between.

Talked to the blackfeather company to see why they no longer make them; they switched 100% to large barrel packs for their outfitting business.

Good luck with the pack search; they are becoming increasingly difficult to find. You may have to pick up a sewing machine and learn to make your own!

PostPosted: April 21st, 2020, 7:56 pm 

AndrewR wrote:
Good morning!

I am in the market for a traditional style canoe pack and I was wondering if anyone knew of any Canadian companies that manufacture portage packs anymore? Looking for something along the lines of a frost river #3 pack.

Thanks

I have a Frost River Timber Cruiser bought two years ago - 4 trips. PM me if interested.
Niagara

PostPosted: May 22nd, 2020, 4:02 pm 

Duluth Pack is so far north it is in Baja Canada.

PostPosted: Yesterday, 4:34 pm 

I have some older ones of the type I think you are looking for. Just big bags with shoulder straps, right? I will never use the big ones again and my kids don't seem interested in old-fashioned techniques and equipment. Mine were made in Czechoslovakia. That's how old they are. They seem sound still, but if they aren't they are easy to repair.
They are not waterproof, not comfortable to carry. They must be packed very carefully with the knowledge that what you place there in the pack will end up here on your back. The shoulder straps are too thin and feel like a wire rope cutting your shoulders on a portage. I have equipped them with tump lines, which helps.
I have had nearly 150 pounds in packs like these and staggered over portages with them. It can be done.
I have three. One has a couple thousand miles on it and is too old for anything except what it is doing now - resting with an old canvas tent in it. Another is not bad, not used as much, but still has some wear. The third never did get used much and is in great shape.