It is currently May 25th, 2020, 3:33 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Steel river
PostPosted: May 18th, 2020, 5:52 pm 

I read somewhere about an alternative to the diablo Portage via some alternative lakes. Any thoughts or leads on this option? Not that I would shrink away from such a challenge as diablo.

Post subject: Re: Steel river
PostPosted: May 18th, 2020, 7:57 pm 

Did the loop last summer. We went in through Diablo just to say we did it.

I was told before I left that the Pic River First Nation has cut three new ports into Diablo Lake. They start at the north end of Santoy and finish in the eastern arm of Diablo. Sorry I didn’t bother to look for any of the entrances but they are apparently signed with yellow portage signs and are easier than Diablo but you would be hard pressed to find a portage that isn't.

Last edited by ShawnD on May 19th, 2020, 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: May 19th, 2020, 8:07 am 

I recall reading a thread (probably here) where someone bushwhacked an alternate route into Diablo, and regretted it. The terrain there is very hilly, so you are probably best of sticking to established ports. Although Diablo is intimidating, It won't be too bad if you just pace yourself. There is always time to work out on the stair stepper to prep yourself!?

PostPosted: May 19th, 2020, 4:51 pm 

The new ports are there, put in by Biigtigong First Nation. That was their traditional route. My buddy did them last summer and said it was much easier than Diablo.

PostPosted: May 20th, 2020, 12:45 pm 

Yeah, I wondered about it too when we did the Diablo in 2006 and looking at the map asked , how come no one tried going through the small lakes east of Diablo Lake?
Good to know we now have those alternate access locations (even though doing the Diablo twice-both directions-was FUN! :D )

When a new source of taxation is found it never means, in practice, that the old source is abandoned. It merely means that the politicians have two ways of milking the taxpayer where they had one before.
H. L. Mencken

PostPosted: May 21st, 2020, 8:22 am 

I did the Diablo portage late last August, the portage was in great condition, much better than I expected and it was not as tough a slog as some others have described, probably due to that maintenance. The first 200-300 metres are steep but it levels off after that.