View topic - air shutlle from happy vallet goose bay?

It is currently November 20th, 2019, 12:09 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: May 22nd, 2007, 1:02 pm 

Can anyone recomend me cheap and reliable air shuttle from Happy vally Goose bay to one of the labrador coast rivers?
thanks

PostPosted: May 22nd, 2007, 4:10 pm 

krzysztof wrote:
. . . cheap . . .air shuttle . . .

These two words do not belong in the same sentence :lol:

In 2000 flew from the Goose to near Smallwood Reservoir for the sum of $5,200. :o Not a long trip either! That was when regular gas was 60 something/L.
I still have info somewhere and can dig it out if you want.

Paul

PS: Mining was booming in Labrador, getting someone to fly canoes rather than prospectors and gear was a major obstacle. The boom is still on.

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 23rd, 2007, 7:33 pm 

You might try Cloud 9 Salmon Lodge. I'm not at work , so don't have his coordinates, but the web site is www.cloud9 something or other. Ask for Norman Lethbridge. Mention my name.

It won't be cheap. I've just got the new uranium exploration maps of the region. Repeat: IT WON'T BE CHEAP. But Norman might figure out something for you.

Did I mention it won't be cheap?

john

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 13th, 2007, 12:00 am 

Wow, I never knew the shuttles could be so expensive.

I was thinking about taking a trip into the interior, could a person not just solicit a cheap flight from a private bush plane owner, or are there some type of insurance bullshit that stops you? Don't want to bring a canoe either, i've been dreaming about it for years.

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 13th, 2007, 8:38 am 

one thing you have to realize, is unlike a commercial airline that takes you to a destination and fills your seat for the return a bush plan is fliing back to base empty. and someone pays for that gas and time. (i.e. you.).it can be expensive to get fuel to the base to begin with.
as far as hiring a private pilot as you state. this is not alaska ,sure there are lots of planes and pilots but not every other family has one.and most likely the smaller the operation the more expensive it will become.
find a reputable pilot for the best service and safety of flight,they will most likley have insurance.why pinch pennies when you want to stay alive.

just my .02
trevor

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 16th, 2007, 9:40 am 

OGTL wrote:
Wow, I never knew the shuttles could be so expensive.

I was thinking about taking a trip into the interior,

The only way to avoid this expense is to plan a long trip starting from the Schefferville area and using the RR instead of a fly-in. This takes more time and portaging effort. Then at trip's end on the coast use the coastal ferry service (from Nain or Davis Inlet) to exit back to Goose Bay.

Herb Pohl, and others (including myself) did this a number of times.

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 21st, 2007, 2:10 pm 

George it sounds like the good idea. I do not mind portaging.
What is RR?
How long were your trips?

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 21st, 2007, 6:40 pm 

krzysztof,
RR means railroad. In this case the Quebec North Shore & Labrador Railway which travels between Sept-Iles and Shefferville.
GG

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 22nd, 2007, 3:31 am 

One more question to George and Gerald. I have asked this question before but I will do it one more time. What is the likelyhood that the end of such trip in area of Nain or Davis inlet I will encounter Polar Bears? And maybe there is a way to plan the trip in the way that I will finish at the time of the year that polar bears are not present. I want to avoid carry a gun.

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 22nd, 2007, 4:54 am 

It's 5:30 am and I'm leaving in a few minutes for a canoe trip.
Will enjoy further reading this thread when I get back.

krzysztof, remember this thread?

http://www.myccr.com/SectionForums/view ... 96b4250cc4

Good planning,
GG

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 23rd, 2007, 4:05 pm 

krzysztof wrote:
I want to avoid carry a gun.

If I was canoeing a Labrador river ending near Nain or Davis Inlet I would have no concern about polar bears and I would not bring a gun. I think the risks of a canoeing disaster or accident on the river are much higher. It's another matter if you were planning to paddle and or camp along the northern Labrador coastline. There you might have a polar bear encounter (although I never did in my 3 canoe trips along the northern coastline). The Innu in Davis Inlet and the Inuit in Nain are hunters and patrol the area near their communities in motor boats and so I don't think you will find any wandering polar bears near there. As always nothing can be absolutely guaranteed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 27th, 2007, 9:06 pm 

you might want to follow up with these guys before you make a gun decision:

Davis Strait Polar Bear Population Inventory
This summer was the second year of a three-year survey to determine the size of the Davis Strait
polar bear population. The research was conducted by Dr. Mitch Taylor from Wildife Research
Section of the Nunavut Department of Environment, and supported by Parks Canada, Nunatsiavut
and Newfoundland and Labrador Governments and Makivik. Over 130 polar bears were captured
in the park, which is a significant increase from 2005. The final results of the survey will be released
in 2007.

((from Torngat Mtn Nat Park Reserve newsletter, Dec, 2006)

Locals are talk about seeing more polar bears every year. It seems Nain and south, if you stay on the mainland, p/ bears encounter is reduced.

Polar bears have been spotted on the outer islands (Black Island just outside Nain) as late as June this year....the odd stray could easily wander further south.