View topic - Notakwanon River TR and discussion

It is currently July 21st, 2019, 3:57 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: Notakwanon River
PostPosted: December 10th, 2008, 10:33 am 

I know this is on old thread, but does anyone have a copy of that mccloud's 50 page document on the Notakwanon? My email is j_wilkie14@hotmail.com. Thanks a lot!

PostPosted: December 10th, 2008, 8:33 pm 

alwayspointsnorth wrote:
I know this is on old thread, but does anyone have a copy of that mccloud's 50 page document on the Notakwanon? My email is j_wilkie14@hotmail.com. Thanks a lot!

I don't have a copy of the report but where do you live? For what it's worth, Tom McCloud usually comes up to our Toronto Symposium, see
http://www.wcsymposium.com/

And many years ago four of us did the Notakwanon, from Shefferville's Iron arm to Davis Inlet - following the dePas to the George to the Notakwanon route.

Lots of white water and a high water level could make a BIG BIG difference in what you have to deal with. Beautiful vistas and hiking.

George

PostPosted: December 14th, 2008, 2:37 pm 

Yeah, thats the trip that I am looking to do. Right now I'm trying to figure out the least expensive way get around. I think to get to Shefferville the train from Sept Iles is the best option. How did you get out once you finished the trip. I was looking at paddling from the mouth of the Notakwanon north the Nain along the coast. It looks pretty sheltered, with a lot of islands. And then from Nain the ferry goes down to goose bay. Any ideas about ferry from goose bay to sept Iles. Also if anyone has any information about paddling the Labrador Sea that would be great!

Cheers!

PostPosted: December 15th, 2008, 10:59 am 

alwayspointsnorth wrote:
Yeah, thats the trip that I am looking to do. Right now I'm trying to figure out the least expensive way get around. I think to get to Shefferville the train from Sept Iles is the best option. How did you get out once you finished the trip. I was looking at paddling from the mouth of the Notakwanon north the Nain along the coast. It looks pretty sheltered, with a lot of islands. And then from Nain the ferry goes down to goose bay. Any ideas about ferry from goose bay to sept Iles. Also if anyone has any information about paddling the Labrador Sea that would be great!

Cheers!

Yes, the train to Schefferville is the way to start.

From the mouth of the Notakwanon it is a very short and easy paddle south to Davis Inlet. Going north to Nain is a longer paddle. Davis Inlet was a rather rough community when we were there last,

Assuming things haven't changed - from Davis Inlet you can take the coastal ferry south to Goose Bay (with your canoes on board) OR you can take a twin otter plane flight south to Goose Bay. But then you have to sell the canoes or figure out how to get them south and home.

Hope that helps.

George

PostPosted: December 15th, 2008, 4:21 pm 

Another possiblity would be to put your vehicle on the train to Shefferville and have it shuttled to Goose Bay. There is a secure enclosure at the ferry dock, take an extra set of keys.

Cheers

PostPosted: December 16th, 2008, 12:28 am 

rhumline wrote:
Another possiblity would be to put your vehicle on the train to Shefferville and have it shuttled to Goose Bay. There is a secure enclosure at the ferry dock, take an extra set of keys.

Cheers

Nope that wouldn't work you can't srive ANYWHERE from Schefferville.

I would suggest......

Drive to Goose Bay
Hire someone there to drive you back to Emeril Junction (where the train crosses the Trans-Lab Hwy, and return your vehicle to Goose Bay.

Train with boats and gear from Emeril to Schefferville

Paddle the DePas, George, Notakwanon to the coast

Paddle to Nain or Davis Inlet to catch the boat to Goose Bay where your vehicle would be waiting.

PostPosted: January 15th, 2009, 10:55 am 

If possible, CCR would like very much to post the reports mentioned by Guest in the 4th post in this thread.
CCR could do the scanning and all that.
If posting the reports themselves is not possible, we'd like to post links to them.
Does anyone know whether the reports are still accessible in any fashion?
All the above applies to other reports, not just the ones mentioned by Guest.
Yours in paddling, Allan

A literal mind is a little mind. If it's not worth doing to excess, it's not worth doing at all. Good enough isn't.  None are so blind as those who choose not to see. (AJ)

PostPosted: April 8th, 2009, 5:06 pm 

I too am considering the trip from Schefferville to Nataushish (formerly Davis Inlet). If not this year then in the near future. A couple of questions spring to mind.

1.) Is it feasible to paddle up the R George from its junction with the R De Pas to its junction with the R Dumans? In this section there are several rapids marked on the topo maps. If these are separated by flatwater and not by continuous swifts I might consider this a possibility.

2.) Is it feasible to ascend to the height of land via the R Dumans?

PostPosted: May 10th, 2009, 10:39 am 

A link to Tom McCloud's report was just posted at
viewtopic.php?f=103&t=27600
together with a route description.
There's a link also on the Routes page: http://www.myccr.com/places.htm
That is sure not a trip for someone with my abilities.

A literal mind is a little mind. If it's not worth doing to excess, it's not worth doing at all. Good enough isn't.  None are so blind as those who choose not to see. (AJ)

PostPosted: May 10th, 2009, 4:44 pm 
CCR Site Administrator

Here is a direct link to Tom McCloud's Notakwanon trip report

We are also working on getting Tom's report on the Mecatina into suitable format to make it also available.

PostPosted: May 11th, 2009, 6:47 am 

This doesn't answer Northern Pike's question, but Herb Pohl accessed the Notakwanon from Schefferville.
He paddled down the De Pas, bushwhacked over to the George (I believe that he followed Stewart Coffin's route from Schefferville to the Adlatok: http://www.myccr.com/canoedb/routeDetai ... outeid=812 ), then went up the George, up through Lac aux Goélands and over the height of land to the Notakwanon.
Here are links to his reports (published in Nastawgan):
http://news.ourontario.ca/nastawgan/new ... LID=185760
http://news.ourontario.ca/nastawgan/New ... LID=185788
I swear that I posted a similar message yesterday.

Tom McCloud's party accessed the Notakwanon from the Smallwood Reservior. Choose your poison.
Tom mentions that other groups have float-planed in to a lake on the Notakwanon proper.

PostPosted: May 26th, 2009, 9:42 am 

I just posted a link to Paul Ferguson's Notakwanon report from 1995:
viewtopic.php?f=103&t=27600
Thanks, Paul!