Aboard this tiny Clip....per.

My mate is a smiling westcoast lass,
I'm the sternsman brave and sure.
Five of us paddled out that day
For a three day tour, a three day tour.

The weather started getting rough,
The tiny canoes were tossed,
If not for the courage of the fearless crew
The Hellman would be lost, the Clipper would be lost.

The boats set ground at Halfway camp,
With Susan,
And Brian too,
The Skyhawk in his 'yak,
A couple of canoes,
Marc and Christine,
Here at Halfway Camp.

So this is the tale of the castways,
They're here for a long, long time,
They'll have to make the best of things,
The winds will die some time.

Brian cleaned the campsite up,
And I caught more fish,
The others got comfortable,
In the Sechelt Inlet nest.

No phone, no lights, a few motorboats,
Not a single drop of beer,
We talked what we'd do that night,
Cause we may be stuck right here.

So join us here next year my friends,
You're sure to get a smile,
From five wind stuck castaways,
Here on "Halfway Camp."

Blucruisin (Sue), Mr. Blucruisin (Brian), Skyhawk (Ron), Piika (Christine), and I (marc) headed off for a long weekend of paddling Sechelt Inlet. We'd actually been planning it for a couple of months and knowing it was a long weekend, the May Two Four to be exact, we had made reservations for the ferry.

Actually let me rephrase that Blucruisin made reservations for the ferry, which was great, but she made them for the 7:20am ferry. That means a 5am wake up call, and for those that know and love me, I'm not exactly someone who likes to get out of bed early in the morning. Especially on a weekend.

The next morning came early....really early. A constant whine of white noise is how this day starts...crap. But, hey! At least I'm going canoeing!! I really was looking forward to this trip. I had kayaked in the Sechelt Inlet about 10 years ago and had always wanted to return, and it was to be the first overnighter with Wilma (Wilma = William (Bill) Mason).

Skyhawk arrived, loaded the last of the gear and off we went for a fairly uneventful crossing. Nothing of interest there besides my buying a new hat, it's awesome....behold my awesome hat!

We finally arrived at Tilicum Bay Marina, and began loading up our canoes, and Skyhawk's kayak. On the morning of the 22nd of May we launced into the Sechelt Inlet for a leisurely paddle to Halway Beach Campsite. It was an easy 1.5hours, and we arrived to find the long crescent beach empty.

We ended up having the whole place to ourselves for the weekend, so we kind of spread out and enjoyed ourselves. A little exploration, I did a bit of fishing, found a good spot for Rock Cod. Caught a bunch but let them all go. The adventure, as it were, begins as we pack to leave.

The canoes were all loaded up, and we launched from Halfway, but just as we launched the winds picked up. A strong headwind was kicking up white caps all across the Inlet, little “cat's paws” were rippling across the surface. With the tide going against us, this strong of a headwind and the amount and intesity of the whitecaps, we turned back to Halfway Beach and decided to wait out the winds for a bit.

This turned into a wait of 9.5 hours as the winds stayed constant and strong and the Inlet stayed really rough.

At 7:15pm on Monday the 24th the winds finally died enough, and the Inlet had begun to calm down, so we hopped in our boats and headed back to Tilicum Bay. A long wait on the beach, but it was fun. I did some more fishing, Mr.Blucruisin cleaned the campsite until in positively shone, we ate lunch, took pictures and just relaxed.

Luckily they had added extra ferry sailings for the long weekend, as we just made Langdale in time to catch the last ferry home, tired, a little sun burnt, but happy to crash in my own bed for the night.

It was a great weekend, with a lot of laughs, and is certainly a must-do trip again next year!

Last edited by marcjboudreau on May 27th, 2010, 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: May 27th, 2010, 12:13 pm 
CCR Site Administrator

Next summer must be the summer I head out to try some west coast paddling! Your trip report & gorgeous photos have inspired me (some of these could be entered in the next contest!).

thanks for a great trip report!

edit: I forgot to add - I loved the song!

PostPosted: May 27th, 2010, 9:16 pm 

:clap: That's funny!

Looks like a great place to be windbound.

Thanks for the TR.
Canoeheadted

PostPosted: May 28th, 2010, 5:41 pm 

Fantastic report! Love your sense of humour.
Cheers,
Bryan