View topic - Algonquin novices in October

It is currently February 25th, 2020, 11:47 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: August 22nd, 2005, 11:59 am 

My partner and I visited Canada (From England) last year in September and spent a couple of days near Algonquin. We didn't have much time there but did take 2 kayaks out onto Opeongo lake for an afternoon (I chose a kayak as I used to do whitewater kayaking in the UK years ago). We loved it and as it was mid September the park was very quiet.

We are back in Canada for a wedding in Cobalt on the 15th October this year and we would like to spend a week in/around Algonquin before that. Some of the time we plan just to chill out, but would also like to do some day Canoe routes and maybe an overnight camping if we're feeling brave.

I found a cottage at Kawawaymog lake but reading around it looks like we'd be limiting the canoe routes we could do as we would have to canoe along to North Tea Lake first. Last year we ended up staying at "The Mad Musher" in Whitney just outside of the park and it was a lovely place to stay, so could maybe go back there.

Another problem is that I'm probably going to be terrible at portages as I have a bad leg. I could probably manage to get myself across short portages OK, but not lots of equipment/canoe.

So what I really want to know are good places to stay as a base, good canoe routes with no or easy portages. Also advice on what the weather is likely to be like from around 7th-15th Oct. I'm hoping we can catch some of the Fall colours, last year we were a few weeks to early but we did have beautiful sunny warm weather for out trip and an almost empty park.

Cheers!!
Andrea

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 22nd, 2005, 1:19 pm 

The weather for the first week in October can see everything from 25C to waking up to snow. Prepare accordingly.Although forecasters are predicting a warmer than usual fall due to the heat we have maintained throughout the summer..leaves are already beginning to turn altho you'll experience peak and post peak foliage when you'll be travelling.

October the 10th is Thanksgiving, usually the last day a lot of the resorts will operate that are in the park ( Arrowhon Pines, Killarney Lodge, etc) but there are a few spots in Dwight that would stay open later.I like the various places in Dwight for a day base, they are inexpensive and have a good selection of restaurants. You could even go futher upscale and stay in Deerhurst or Grandview in Huntsville. Stay with the hiway 60 corridor and you cant go wrong, just give the foliage bus tours a very wide berth, they can be very dangerous.

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 23rd, 2005, 11:19 am 

I wouldn't say that you're just limited to NorthTea if you stay at Kmog. The paddle to North Tea is a nice one, and once you're on North Tea it's a big lake to explore. You'd also have Round lake and the South River to explore.

Looking for fall colours though you'd be better off staying around the highway 60 area. The WolfDen bunkhouse has a couple nice cottages and is pretty much just outside Algonquin. That time of the year all should be quiet for you. The Oxtongue river is always a nice paddle in the fall.

Edward Abbey