View topic - Kawartha Highlands - Shark Lake

It is currently August 9th, 2020, 12:29 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: June 6th, 2006, 4:27 pm 

Hi,

I am wondering if I can get some help concerning canoeing in Kawartha Highlands Provincial Park. I have never been but am an experienced canoeist. I plan to go on a two day canoe trip with a friend from Long Lake to Shark Lake and back on Fri June 16 and returning Saturday.

What is the park like? Do you need a permit for camping or to park your car? Are there many cottages or motorboats in the vicinity? Has anybody been to Shark Lake? If so, where would you recommend camping for the night? Finally, does anybody know of any outfitters in the area such as in Apsley?

Any help that anybody can provide would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance,
canoemost

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 6th, 2006, 5:06 pm 

Hi mostcanoe

Welcome to the forum. I went to Shark Lake for the first time in September 2005 and loved it. We stayed at one of the beach campsites (east shore). Shark Lake is described in Kevin Callan's book A Paddler's Guide to Ontario Cottage Country. (i think it has been re-published with a new name). Kevin Callan's book lists some outfitters too.

The beach campsite looked like this:

There is a second campsite within walking distance. The site was excellent in September but I would not stay at it in June - too buggy. But ... on second thought there is a great hill just east of the site (if you get the easternmost of the two beach sites) where it appears others have pitched their tents.

There was a site on the far east shore at the southern end which looked freshly established and without a good place to pitch a tent. Forget the island site - it was trashed when we were there, with many broken beer bottles and toilet paper everywhere and even a toilet seat. We talked to locals on the way out who were dismayed to hear it was trashed again since they have recently gone in to clean it up. There was a campsite near the portage from Buzzard Creek (at the southwest end of Shark Lake) that was nice and open - could be good in buggy weather. Lots of places to pitch tents.

Instead of putting in at Long Lake, we put in at Coon Lake and went through the three little unnamed lakes into Shark Lake. However there are some lengthy portages that way. Here is the portage out of Coon Lake, eek :lol: but at least it has a nice well worn path.

Have been to Stoplog which was beautiful. Once went to Turtle Lake and there was a massive encampment of atv'ers near the portage from Cherry Lake so I hightailed it to my favourite place on Stoplog.

Hope you have a great trip!
rm

Last edited by redstart mouser on June 7th, 2006, 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 6th, 2006, 5:07 pm 

p.s. you don't need a permit yet ( i think). You can pay to park your car at Long Lake Lodge - they have a website, it's posted on another recent thread in Ontario Canoe routes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 8th, 2006, 3:18 pm 

Dear redstart mouser,

Thanks for the information and pictures. I will look out for that beach campsite and that hill near the second campsite you were talking about. Which ever is less buggy would work for us. :D

I can't believe people trash campsites like that. : :evil: I try to do my part and take out more than I bring in but only if its hygenic ( toilet paper? - Disgusting!)

Is Shark Lake free of cottages and motorboats?

Thanks,
mostcanoe

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 8th, 2006, 4:16 pm 

Hi mostcanoe

Shark Lake does not have any cottages on it but there is a hunt camp near those two beach campsites. It was deserted when we were there in September but looked like there had been recent visitors (there were lawn chairs left out).

I think the only real motorboat traffic you will encounter is on Long Lake. Buzzard Lake is very popular with campers because it is so accessible. I have camped in the area 5 times now and have only once met up with the "yahoo type" but in that situation I just went to the next lake over.

Have a great trip, take lotsa bug spray!

PostPosted: June 9th, 2020, 12:05 pm 

https://canoedaddy.com/Kawartha-Highlan ... ke-3-Days/

PostPosted: June 9th, 2020, 1:43 pm 

https://www.ontarioparks.com/park/kawar ... ds/camping
I think permits are required nowadays.

PostPosted: June 10th, 2020, 11:06 am 

Hi Mostcanoe

If your leaving from Long lake access , the parking is included in your permit , before the it became a park , the MNR leased the land to Long Lk. lodge and you had to pay them parking and launch fees , not anymore

Long is the busiest lake motorboat wise and with the most cottages , Buzzard has 3 cottage and might see some motorboats , Vixen has no cottages , Shark has one hunt camp , and they generally only use it in the fall .
Long lake Lodge has rentals , mostly fiberglass , some kevlar. or there is Adventure outfitters in Lakefield
https://www.adventureoutfitters.ca/pages/rent I don't think they have delivery service

Your looking at about a 4hr paddle and portage from Long Lake to Shark , there is also an alternative by entering the south end thru Coon Lake , it's more portaging than paddling and about 2 hrs

If you like fishing the lake is well stocked with Splake, use some Rapalas that can get down to 20 feet , we catch them in the summer even at these depths

Enjoy your trip I've been paddling those lakes since I was a kid in the mid 70's ,