View topic - Bear Attacks Canoeist, Wawa Area

It is currently September 20th, 2019, 10:19 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: July 23rd, 2006, 12:48 pm 

What the heck is sticking out of his back? Ouch!! :cry:

"To succeed you have to believe in something with such a passion that it becomes a reality."

"The first great gift we can bestow on others is a good example."

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 23rd, 2006, 1:27 pm 

That's an amazing story. Very happy that you and sam are ok. I can't imagine what your state of mind will be when you go retreive your canoe. So, are you thinking of a sat phone or PLB for that trip?

What happens with the bear? Perhaps you can get a trophy from your encounter. Even just a claw on a string to give to a grandchild or some such.

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 23rd, 2006, 1:30 pm 

Nancy wrote:
What the heck is sticking out of his back? Ouch!! :cry:

Those are drainage tubes to stop fluid build up in the wounds.
Hopefully they will come out in a few days

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 23rd, 2006, 2:16 pm 

flyrod wrote:
What happens with the bear? Perhaps you can get a trophy from your encounter. Even just a claw on a string to give to a grandchild or some such.

I did ask the ministry if I could have one of the paws and was told it should be no problem.
The body of the bear minus the head has been brought to Guelph only about a 20 minute drive from me so it will be easy for me to go and get it.

A satellite phone is a definite consideration.
After the attack I was looking at, at least, 2 days of hard paddling and portaging to get me where there was a good chance of meeting someone.
I was thinking the fly-in camp on Little Missinaibi Lake or the more difficult option of Whitefish Falls on Big Miss Lake.
Neither option was very attractive.

When I got out onto Abbey Lake I was praying there would be a fly-in camp there.
Thank God there was and that a couple of great fellows from Michigan were there to help!
Here's the plane arriving

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 23rd, 2006, 6:45 pm 
Not sure if it was this thread or the other one, but I connect with samsman on the topic of a good knife. Samsman mentioned he purchased a "good" knife after reading of another bear attack that ended in a death. For a couple years now I have been wondering about the same thing. I feel I should be carrying a more sturdy knife with a good hand/finger grip that won't let go in a situation like the one he faced. If samsman's inspiration came from a previous bear attack, then I want to let samsman know his attack has now led me to the same conclusion. I will be purchasing a good knife with a good grip before my next trip. I have always figured a can of bear spray and a "good knife" is probably my best protection.

Donny

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 23rd, 2006, 7:04 pm 

So what model of knife is nice and light on portages and still works well against bears?

Post subject: lucky dog
PostPosted: July 23rd, 2006, 9:24 pm 

Hey there,
Wow, is your dog ever lucky. Seriously with the strength of a bear's jaw, it could have broken the dog's back, caused nerve dammage...... How much fun is it now bathing the incesions of the drain tubes daily? It's amazing how much pain animals can put up with, and I bet the dog jumps right back into the canoe when he sees it next.

In regards to "so rather than wait for the hospital folks to change my dressing and prescribe anti-biotics for me, I discharged myself (snuck out)."
Way to go- successfully eluding the officials!!! I know a couple of the nurse practitioners in Wawa - they are nice people and are probably laughing at the fact that they 'lost a patient'.

Are you going to have the bear paw mounted with the knife and both gold plated? I think that's what I'd do.

Melissa

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 24th, 2006, 12:49 am 

Quote:

That is a question I have entertained in the past, will the dog be a deterent or an attraction?
Any experiences others could share would be appreciated.

depends on how hungry a bear is I guess, and previous experiences with dogs.
I sleep a helleva lot better in APP knowing my dog is outside the tent sleeping. He has gotten up once at 3 am snarling and barking , no idea what was there but it left.
Last fall a bear was ransacking my birdfeeders when I came home 1 night. Upon letting jasper off to go pee he ran into the backyard and started sniffing the air (bear had snuck into forest), then he marched stiffly over to the forest and the bear charged him. Both of us were totally shocked ( I ran for garage) but jasper quickly recovered and actually attacked it. The bear went up a tree pretty fast. He is half Akita so in retrospect it makes sense.

Either way having a dog with you evens the playing field a bit, in the very least might give you a chance to get into your canoe while the bear is distracted. Will he bring a bear into camp? I doubt it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 24th, 2006, 7:14 am 

Good point EGB. Bears are not predatory(with the excpetion of Polar Bears) and therefore won't view a dog as a source of food any more than a racoon or fox.

Advice is a form of nostalgia; dispensing it is a way of wishing the past from the disposal--wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts, and recycling it for more than it's worth.

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 24th, 2006, 7:54 am 

EGB wrote:
Last fall a bear was ransacking my birdfeeders when I came home 1 night. Upon letting jasper off to go pee he ran into the backyard and started sniffing the air (bear had snuck into forest), then he marched stiffly over to the forest and the bear charged him.

'Nuff said.

Post subject: knife
PostPosted: July 24th, 2006, 8:43 am 

Quote:
Ghost Posted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 7:04 pm Post subject:
So what model of knife is nice and light on portages and still works well against bears?

No one has answered Ghosts question of what knife is good to have with you? This is an question i'm also interested in as before this happened i was just saying i need a good knife- up till now i've just used a plain 4" foling camp knife and a swiss army.

I was looking at the Gerber huunting knives, are they any good??

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 24th, 2006, 8:59 am 

Rob in Angus wrote:

"Bears are not predatory(with the excpetion of Polar Bears)"

My understanding is that black bears are opportunistic omnivores. Generally speaking, they'll eat whatever provides the most nutrition for the least hassle. There have been a couple recent (and thankfully rare) occasions in Ontario where certain black bears apparently preyed on humans so I don't doubt they might prey on a dog. They've also been known to protect a food source against a perceived threat., and they might easily see a dog as that sort of threat

But they're complex, moody, unpredictable animals (they might say the same about us) . I'm sure most of us have seen the photo from New Jersey where a black bear was treed by a small domestic cat.

The only person on this forum who has any real insight into the confrontation between the bear and Samsman & Sam is Samsman.

Samsman: I'd sure appreciate hearing you tell your story -- You now probably have more hands-on experience with bear confrontations than anyone else here. Please excuse the pontifical statements from all the other self-appointed bear experts ( including me :-) ).

-JF-

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 24th, 2006, 9:30 am 

Totally agree. A black in the right mindset can be predatory to a small person, a fawn, etc. Anything it deems as being easy.

Post subject: Knife
PostPosted: July 24th, 2006, 9:33 am 

The story of Dr. Perry and her husband's attempts to fight off the bear with a Swiss Army knife really hit home with me.
I had been through the area where she was killed only a couple of weeks previously.
I decided that despite the rareity of this type of attack I wasn't going to be in the same situation with only a small folding knife to rely on.
I talked with some knowledgeable fellows and while they recommended a knife larger than 6", I went with the 6"
One of my considerations was whether an 8 or 10 inch blade might be a bit cumbersome to carry around with me.
Not saying they would be but I opted for one that I felt I would be comfortable wearing.
Any knife is, of course, no help if you don't have it readily at hand.

It's interesting to me to look back in my trip journal to the night before the incident and find this entry..
"Finding it quite easy to wear knife on belt"

This is the knife I was carrying, a made in the USA Buck Knife mod#119 available through CDN Tire...

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 24th, 2006, 10:22 am 

Wow that is an incredible story and so glad to hear that you're both OK.

You're right that a knife is no good unless it's handy. My brother & I were ridge hiking in Killarney behind our campsite when we came face-to-face with a big black bear.

Usually the bear turns tail & takes off but this brute just stared us down and we ended up backing away until we were out of site. I didn't have my 6" knife on me. I usually kept it in my pack to be more comfortable but every since that encounter I now wear it on my belt.

Hope for a full recovery to you & your buddy.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next