View topic - KHPP - Portaging from Vixen to Stoplog- Possibe?

It is currently September 20th, 2020, 5:00 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: February 18th, 2009, 11:34 am 

Greetings everyone, I am already dreaming of summer trips-

Quick Question- Does anyone know if its possible to portage from Vixen Lake to Stoplog Lake in the Kawartha Highlands?

If so, good portage? easy to find? I have been reading several resources (Callen, internet, just picked up Canoeing the Wolf range from the library) and can't find any references to a Vixen -Stoplog route.

This is what I am thinking for a full trip:
Long Lake- Buzzard
Buzzard- Vixen
Vixen - Stoplog
Stoplog- Turtle
Turtle- Cherry
Cherry- through crane creek - Compas
Compas- Loucks
Loucks - Long

If anyone has any additional comments on this route- please pass them on!

PostPosted: February 18th, 2009, 12:01 pm 

The park management plan shows there is a trail (from the swamp adjacent to Vixen):

I have not walked it, but the landscape is fairly open and it should be quite doable - you would be following the lay of the ridges. I suggest you get yourself some more detailed maps than the 1:50K topo, or take a GPS along in case you lose your orientation.

PostPosted: February 19th, 2009, 9:15 am 

Thanks! That is a great map you have. I never even thought to check if the management plan had detailed maps!

Here is crossing my fingers that its an easy trek between the two!! :)

If anyone has actually traveled it, I still would love to hear your experiences.

PostPosted: February 19th, 2009, 6:37 pm 

I can't say that I've done that portage, but I am surprised to see it. As Erhard wrote, you'd be going through the swamp in Vixen.

I was there a couple years ago wondering the same thing, but at that time the swamp was pretty impassable; I don't think one would have been able to enter the trail trying to exit Vixen from the point indicated on the map. (At least in the summer of 2007.)

PostPosted: February 20th, 2009, 8:36 am 

Sunfish,

The "trail" on that map is news to me. Hauling canoes through there would probably be a nightmare. It's certainly not what I would call a "portage". Although it might be possible (in the sense that anything is possible), by no means could it be called an easy trek.

In contrast, the rest of the route is pretty easy. I think your best bet if you want to visit all the lakes listed is to make the Buzzard/Vixen leg a side trip and double back to Long/Loucks to begin a circle route to cover the rest.

-JF-

PostPosted: February 20th, 2009, 9:20 am 

Like I said, get more detailed maps etc and go for it. It would be smart to walk the area first to make sure you will walk the path of least effort. And be prepared to switch to Plan B in case the trail doesn't really exist. But I'd like to hear your experience after you've tried.

By the way, I did a similar excursion trying to get to Elm Lake in the park's area and we were frustrated by inaccuracies of the 1:50,000 topo map. I have posted the experience and maybe you find it useful:
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=31038&hilit=buzzard

PostPosted: February 28th, 2009, 8:21 am 

I wandered that area all fall last season looking for a possible way across (it would make a great trip) but none exists. What I did find was an old trail leading out of the pond on the sw corner of Vixen. You have to lift-over from Vixen to get to the pond and then paddle across. A trail leaves the lake from the far shore and to the right (right behind a small heron rookery). It's a ski-doo trail that goes over to the area of Stoplog but not far along it you'll come across a swampy area that's not easy to portage across; and even then the trail doesn't go directly to Stoplog. There may be a way over from the trout pond to the south of Buzzard but I could only find an old trappers trail leading south from there to the pond on the nw corner of Vixen. The bush walking is better though. The Park Sup. was interested in that being a route when I chatted with him, so it may be opened up.

I researched more possible routes as well - but didn't come up with much. It's in my neighborhood so I spend a lot of time wandering the Kawarthas. What I found was there were no "extra" routes that were worth it. When I did "bushwack" to a lake (ie McGee, Little Anstruther, Tamarack, Elm...) I found an ATV trail to the lake and it was depressing to say the least.

Hope this helps.

PostPosted: February 28th, 2009, 8:40 am 

Here's some notes on the portages i tried to find last season.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: July 7th, 2020, 11:49 am 

I don't see why not. I have hiked across successfully and found it relatively easy going - if you can ignore the bugs in late June. Accessing the un-named lake West of Vixen was no problem via an established 10m portage, not through the swamp I believe Kevin is talking about. Then head to the N-W corner. As for the walk, aim for the southern end of Stoplog, just across the bay from Deer Creek (not at all what the map above is showing). There's even an established landing there for a hunt camp at the bottom of Stoplog, with an ATV path heading off in the wrong direction. The main concerns are occasional rock faces that have to be navigated around en route, and occasional wet spots. There is one small creek crossing. Still, it can be done in about 750m (rough guess). You basically ascend to the halfway point from either direction and will find a rock cairn in a large clear spot up top. If the park had the desire to establish a route I don't think it would be harder than any other portage (EG Stoplog to Turtle / Sparkler to Agate, etc).