View topic - Looking for advice on the Saugeen River

It is currently August 12th, 2020, 4:32 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: August 26th, 2008, 8:19 pm 

I'm planning a day trip this sunday on the Saugeen River, and looking for any tips about the river.
I'm looking for about an 8 hour trip, and thinking about the Paisley to Dennys dam run, will this be about an 8 hours trip for avarage paddlers?
What is the water level like in the area at the moment?
Is there any thing else I should know?
Thanks for any in put.

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 26th, 2008, 8:50 pm 

You might want to check with Thorncrest outfitters in the area to see what they would suggest as a 8 hour ( day ) paddle. I believe from the Saugeen bluffs to Paisley is 3 hours apx.

I'm sure there are a couple of outfitters in the area, which might give some valued and current information.

The Mad Canoist ( nickname ) around here lives close by, but I haven't seen/heard him speak up lately, so I don't know if that will help.

Anyway, Thorncrest might be the best answer as well a shuttle service to pickup/or drop you off so you can either get to your vehicle or start somewhere like the Bluffs and paddle to your vehicle.

Hope that helps.

Actually, just looking at the info on the website for the Greater Saugeen shows a few trips and the times apx. that it will take to do...

Here's some contacts.

http://www.greatersaugeen.com/
Phone: 519-353-4453

http://www.thorncrestoutfitters.com/
Phone - Paisley: (519) 353-9283

A map is also available.

[color=green]For love of the wilderness, A journey begins...[/color] [color=brown][b][Nature's Calling...] So get OFF(!) THAT(!!) THUNDERBOX !!![/b][/color]

Post subject: Saugeen River
PostPosted: August 27th, 2008, 2:35 am 

Route discription, including maps of put in and take out and approximate run times.

http://www.thorncrestoutfitters.com/

River level. It's at 9.39 right now which is a good level.

http://scitech.pyr.ec.gc.ca/waterweb/formnav.asp?lang=0

PostPosted: September 6th, 2009, 1:37 pm 

Hi,

I'm planning a trip down the Saugeen this fall (as a follow-up to an awesome trip on the Spanish River this August). We're looking at early to mid-October. The previous post mentioned that a 9.4 m guage level is "good to go".

I need a bit of help though...
i) Which guage? There are three on the environment canada website, Walkerton, Durham and Port Elgin. I have a hunch he's talking about Walkerton.
ii) At 9.4 m will there be significant scraping along? Will we have the opportunity to practice eddy turns and ferrying?
iii) How does the flow and difficulty level compare to the Spanish River

Cheers and Thanks in Advance!

JS

PostPosted: September 6th, 2009, 9:07 pm 

Well, looking out my living room window, the river looks higher for this time of year than it has in the past couple of years. There has been alot of foam on it yesterday and today.
I'm guessing they guage around Walkerton (The Saugeen doesn't go to Port Elgin, it goes to Southampton). Between Durham and Hanover you will encounter lots of "scraping" even now (limestone and gravel beds). For the most part the river is deeper and slower between Hanover and Walkerton, and frankly not quite as interesting. If you want some eddy play I suggest between Paisley and Denny's Dam. There are a few spots after Denny's Dam that are quite fun as well, and this will take you to Lake Huron at Southampton. You won't encounter anything above class 2 at this time of year. There are also some really fun spots for a bit of whitewater just northwest of Walkerton.
As recommended above, Thorncrest is awesome for advice, shuttles, etc. They are located in Southampton, Paisley and Tobermory (though you won't be going that far). This website has everything you may need including maps: http://www.svca.on.ca/canoe1.htm
Only parts of the Spanish I've seen are around Massey where it seems to be wide and sluggish. The Saugeen only gets that wide around Southampton.
The nice thing about paddling the Saugeen is that you will get a little mix of everything between most of the access points.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid." — Albert Einstein