View topic - Kopka River trip report

It is currently November 12th, 2019, 7:37 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Kopka River trip report
PostPosted: June 17th, 2010, 7:38 pm 

I paddled the Kopka from May 20 to May 29 this year and what a great river . Fly-in to Kershaw Lake from Armstrong and then down the Kashishibog to the watershed portage into Redsand Lake and the Kopka headwaters. Takeout at Lake Bukemiga .Water levels were low. ...a solo trip in a NC Supernova. Full trip report is available at "paddlpics " on blogspot.com ..LOTS of pictures there too. Enjoy.

PostPosted: June 18th, 2010, 6:44 am 

http://paddlpics.blogspot.com/ is the address.

Neat pics, Serge. Looks like a river for real adventure!

PostPosted: June 19th, 2010, 12:35 pm 

You make it all very appealing. Another one for my list of TTD (things to do)

Present: Slip, Slap and Slop, hide from the sun! Past: Get some colour in those cheeks! Paddle Naked!

PostPosted: June 19th, 2010, 5:33 pm 

Nice trip report Serge, Can you tell me the type/make of your camp chair in one of your photos?
thanx
jim

PostPosted: June 19th, 2010, 6:10 pm 

Nice trip report Serge. Great pictures. I managed to go down a part of the Kopka in 2007, as the last part of a month long trip trip through Wabakimi. One of my daughters was with me so I didn't have the same set of problems as you experienced going Solo.
We never did find the portage with the rope until much later, but it appears that an alternate portage is on the same side of the river as you took. It was not pleasant, but it was doable. We started on the river and climbed up some distance before coming to a high spot overlooking the river valley. It was a spectacular scene. The portage was to our right and went down through a narrow valley that had a cliff on our right facing north. The rift was full of very large boulders covered in moss because they received little or no sun. The boulders were about 4 -6 feet in height and went down into the valley for about 100m.
I remember tying a rope to my canoe and my daughter , Melissa, went ahead of the canoe helping it to negotiate the tops of the moss covered boulders as I let it slide down on the rope.When we got down this section , I was then able to carry the canoe out to the river below the Falls.
Later, when we went back up the river to look at the Falls we saw the portage that you took. Definitely a nasty one that is much steeper than your picture shows.
But it is a great river to travel. That section of the Kopka, south of Kenakskaniss Lake, is one of the most scenic rivers in Ontario.

PostPosted: June 20th, 2010, 12:14 pm 

Serge,
Thank you for the trip report of your adventure down the Kopka. I want to congratulate you for undertaking and completing such a solo trip. Your photos and trip narration have given me a better understanding of what might be encountered on the Kopka. I have heard about "Goat Portage" and other menacing accounts about the river. Your report has sparked my interest in exploring it. :thumbup: