View topic - Loring area

It is currently October 21st, 2020, 3:18 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Loring area
PostPosted: July 30th, 2010, 8:57 pm 

I sometimes spend far too much time looking at maps and Google sat pix and dreaming about future paddling and fishing trips!! :D

Has anybody done, or tried, the route shown on this topo? I know there is a port into Arthur, and the way into Mud looks doable(better on the sat pic than on the topo.

Attachment:
Mud lake.JPG
Attachment:
Arthur lake port.JPG
Attachment:
noganosh-lake_area_markupred.PNG

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Old canoeists never die---they just smell that way.

Post subject: Re: Loring area
PostPosted: July 31st, 2010, 10:52 am 

Well Wotrock the thing to remember is that with google earth the straightline distances can be very short and do not show the true depth of geography.
the old topos in feet I found where much better showing this.
Haven't paddled the area but just as a comparison I use google to try and read the best portages in QEW and it is a half and half sucess.
But the distances can really jump depending on what you find,
there is one short one on the route from smudge to Crooked and show 55m straight line but is more like 150 and down a hill.
That is why I like the early spring and fall explorations without the growth (and bugs 8) ) you can see and pick out the ridges an little easier.
That is where a small radio set and two people come in handy, when you are solo unless you can see your goal, you have to go empty first.
Jeff

Choosing to save a river is more often an act of passion than of careful calculation. You make the choice because the river has touched your life in an intimate and irreversible way, because you are unwilling to accept its loss. — (David Bolling, Ho

PostPosted: August 1st, 2010, 7:22 am 

Hi Wotrock,

been all through the area, although not for a number of years. There were fairly well used paths linking the lakes. From Port Loring we basically followed the drainage. There was a portage from Duck Lake up into the pond between Duck and Mud. we paddled the pond with no difficulty and portaged, again on a well worn path into Mud. There are a number of cottages on Mud and Long as well as a lodge at the west end of Long (where the creek from Fox (Lost) Lake comes in) .

There is also a well worn path along it as well into another group of lakes which I've been through a number of times down to Island Lake, the Mag etc.

There is a well used campsite on Long Lake, on the Island.

There is a short well used path across into Clear Lake (which is also accessible from the east through the small unnamed lake.

Bass Lake has a well used campsite on the island, although when we passed through it had recently been extensively burned (looked like a campfire had gotten out of hand) We portaged across (roughly where you have your mark) into Arthur Lake (cottages) If I remember correctly we 'bushcrashed" a short distance to the ATV road and followed it to a short path down to Arthur.

We walked the ATV road (quite long) NW to the Pickerel River (across from Lookout Island)
We were camped on Fox Lake at the time and had done a day trip to check out the access.

There is also a trail from Bass south into Irwin (Rainbow Airways has a cabin), and from Irwin south into a small unnamed Lake into Fox Lake and beyond

Somewhere along the south shore of Long there is a route across into Otter Lake.
We were camped on Council Lake on another trip and met some fishermen who had come across from Long. Never had time to walk the route though.

I tend to use Google Earth images for all my trips (and the "daydreaming" virtual trips)
I prefer to follow drainages etc. rather than look for portage trails. It often results in some rough bushcrashing if water levels are low

Anyway, hope this helps.

PostPosted: August 5th, 2010, 2:46 pm 

How about West Deer & the Hungry Lakes?
I don't think that group were ever part of a maintained route and have escaped the attention of the hunter/atv crowd.

PostPosted: August 5th, 2010, 7:53 pm 

[u][/u]WH,
That's amazing that you remember all those details from years ago! :thumbup:

WaterHunter wrote:
Hi Wotrock,

been all through the area, although not for a number of years. There were fairly well used paths linking the lakes. From Port Loring we basically followed the drainage. There was a portage from Duck Lake up into the pond between Duck and Mud. we paddled the pond with no difficulty and portaged, again on a well worn path into Mud. There are a number of cottages on Mud and Long as well as a lodge at the west end of Long (where the creek from Fox (Lost) Lake comes in) . [b]WH--that's very surprising to me. Looking at the sat pix there only seemed to be a handful of cottages. Mind you, only those with light colors might be discernable on the sat pix. Were they full blown cottages or more like cabins? [/b]

There is also a well worn path along it as well into another group of lakes which I've been through a number of times down to Island Lake, the Mag etc.

There is a well used campsite on Long Lake, on the Island.

There is a short well used path across into Clear Lake (which is also accessible from the east through the small unnamed lake.

Bass Lake has a well used campsite on the island, although when we passed through it had recently been extensively burned (looked like a campfire had gotten out of hand) We portaged across (roughly where you have your mark) into Arthur Lake (cottages)[b]But very few, at least on the sat pix? There's a resort on the Pickerel that advertises Arthur lake as on of the 'back lakes' that their clients can access[/b] If I remember correctly we 'bushcrashed" a short distance to the ATV road and followed it to a short path down to Arthur.

We walked the ATV road (quite long) NW to the Pickerel River (across from Lookout Island)
We were camped on Fox Lake at the time and had done a day trip to check out the access.

There is also a trail from Bass south into Irwin (Rainbow Airways has a cabin), and from Irwin south into a small unnamed Lake into Fox Lake and beyond

Somewhere along the south shore of Long there is a route across into Otter Lake.
We were camped on Council Lake on another trip and met some fishermen who had come across from Long. Never had time to walk the route though.

I tend to use Google Earth images for all my trips (and the "daydreaming" virtual trips)
I prefer to follow drainages etc. rather than look for portage trails. It often results in some rough bushcrashing if water levels are low

Anyway, hope this helps.

Yes, that helps quite a bit actually. Thx very much!

PostPosted: August 5th, 2010, 7:57 pm 

CLofchik wrote:
I don't think that group were ever part of a maintained route and have escaped the attention of the hunter/atv crowd.

Have you been there,CL? Mind sharing some info with fellow paddlers?
Thx

PostPosted: August 5th, 2010, 10:08 pm 

wotrock wrote:
CLofchik wrote:

Have you been there,CL? Mind sharing some info with fellow paddlers?
Thx

No, I've just had that group on my shortlist of new places to poke into for awhile now. Actually I was wondering if Waterhunter had been in there :rofl:

Looks doable, I just need to get out there and do it.

PostPosted: August 6th, 2010, 5:48 am 

Yes I've been all through that areas as well. From Duck Lake (Port Loring) we portaged along a short marked trail into an unnamed lake (part of Dog Creek) We paddled up Dog Creek until it became too shallow. We then portaged along the bank (5 minutes or so with high grasses and bushes) until we reached the road. We followed the road west (right) At the top of the hill there is a fork in the road, the right fork continues to Long Lake etc. and the left goes into West Deer Lake. (cache of aluminum boats) We were able to paddle through to Dog Lake with a beaver dam and possibly a short portage. (can't quite remember)

From Dog we went up Dog Creek into Otter, Council, Rat etc. The Creek was mostly canoeable with numerous beaver dams. We did a short portage to start with where it flows into Dog Lake (north side of the creek) along an ATV track (has a bridge across the creek)

We also took the well worn portage from the SW bay on Dog Lake into Big Hungry Lake (previously known as Illfed Lake) There was a 2 wheel canoe/pack carrier there one of the times we crossed the trail. (probably from the Hunt cabin on the island in Big Hungry. Wing Lake can be accessed by a short lift over from Big Hungry . We ventured from there a number of years ago (SW direction) following rock ridges and beaver ponds down into Loon Lake ... Island Lake etc.
From Big Hungry there is a trail into Little Hungry and then into Pup Lake.
From Pup there is a 1.5 km well worn path down into Le Grou Lake. (public parking and boat launch area on Le Grou at the end of the road near the dam)

This was part of many other trips which we took eventually working our way east into Chartier Lake, south through ponds, Brunner Lake, Kimikong River, Snowshoe Lake to the Ferrie River (a scenic river) etc. and East up the Pickerel River into Raganooter, Pickerel Lake, Tough Lake north into Round, L, Harry May etc.

We always did these trips with a goal in mind, but with a day by day approach. If we lucked out and found easy portages or good beaver ponds we would get further, and if the going was tough we would re-route or finish the trip by retracing our steps. There we some times that we would just stay put for a few days if the lake was beautiful.

PostPosted: June 8th, 2012, 4:21 pm 

Re: Port Loring, Duck Lake and Beyond.
I have not been back for a few years but Long Lake is very familar to me. You can get to Long Lake by the ATV trail or up the Mud Creek Portages. From Mud Lake into Long Lake. Once in Long Lake there are many opportunities, many already mentioned in this thread.
1) Clear Lake, by both mentioned routes, then Bass, Arthur and long trek to Pickerel River.
2) Otter Lake portage is halfway down the first major arm to the south (left).
I have not personally done the route from Otter to Fox but have heard of many of who have as well as some who lost their canoe in the weeds. There are three other hunting trails to Otter from Long, not canoe?, snowmobile yes.
3) My personal favourite is up the canyon to Fox Lake from end of Long. At the end of the creek, close to Fox the weeds can get pretty thick (good beaver activity means easier paddling). From Fox there is (hope) a beaver dam/pond into Lost (Irwin). Then easy portages into Bass, to Clear, to Long. The above loop, Long back to Long, without gear is an easy day.
Campsites are plenty: the narrows on Long, Clear Lake portage and across from Clear Lake portage. As you enter Fox there is a good campsite. Lost is pretty thick woods. Bass island was good.
There are no buildings on Fox. One hunt camp on Lost. One camp/cottage halfway down Long at first south arm and one at far end.

If anyone has done these routes lately, would love to know their state.

PostPosted: March 16th, 2014, 10:03 pm 

WaterHunter wrote:
This was part of many other trips which we took eventually working our way east into Chartier Lake, south through ponds, Brunner Lake, Kimikong River, Snowshoe Lake to the Ferrie River (a scenic river) etc.

Bringing up an old thread, but is there any portages connecting Snowshoe Lake? Or did you access it via the North Tip where it connects to the Kimikong River? That river looks like it could be a pain in the later part of the season...

My Backcountry Website: www.explorethebackcountry.com

PostPosted: March 20th, 2014, 3:41 pm 

The Kimikong River was a pain close to Chartier Lake and then on the east limb approaching Snowshoe. We paddled as far east as we could in the ever thickening alders and eventually pushed to the shore. As usual we bush crashed up the hill towards Snowshoe, came across an ATV track and followed it into Snowshoe. There was a hunt camp at the end of the trail. The river was mostly flooded between the 2 tough ends.

Note: that this was many years ago so everything will be quite different now.

I always prefer routes with no actual paths, or ones with very little use

PostPosted: March 23rd, 2014, 10:20 pm 

Figured as much. I love taking the path less traveled too. This seems like a perfect place. May loop back to Island Via Dog, Otter and Rat Lake too.

PostPosted: August 24th, 2015, 12:52 pm 

pss wrote:
If anyone has done these routes lately, would love to know their state.

Just got back. Looped from Duchman Lake on the Pickerel River, traveled downstream to Duck/Toad, portaged to Arthur (what an indirect trail!!), Bass, Clear, Long, Otter, Paddled Dog Creek to Dog, Big Hungry (accidentally portaged past Little Hungry) Pup and then Le Grou where we parked the car.

Notes:

Trails are in great shape, but they are mainly snow/ATV so it gets really confusing. We took a few wrong trails and probably added several extra km of needless wanderings. GPS and compass helps, but trails start heading one way only to double back and through you for a spin. :doh:

The Pickerel Dries up in spots. There are 2 "established" portages around some falls and bony rapids, but the long Dutchman Chutes (Read: Dutchman Trickle :roll: ) needs to be portaged/waded or lined in stream. You could bushwhack the shore but we completed the 400m route by boulder hoping and wading. Not too difficult. Rapids at Big Slide were non-existent but formed a neat canyon.

Big Hungry Lake is gorgeous!! One established site by 2 Cabins but your better to camp on any one of the flat spots under the Red or Jack pine in the NW corner of the lake.

I GPS'd my route, but have tried to include the actual trail to follow as markers in several cases. Great route. Seldom paddled, a few scattered campsites. I'll assemble a TR and video in the next few months.