View topic - North Tea - questions

It is currently April 1st, 2020, 3:41 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: North Tea - questions
PostPosted: August 24th, 2011, 4:21 pm 

Loooooong time since I've been there. A friend is insisting he wants to go next Fri. - Monday.

Any fav. sites (large flat "private", good swimming)?

Also, if we go up after work Thurs. night, can you think of any place to stay near the access point wear I will get a good nights sleep?

Thanks for any info

Present: Slip, Slap and Slop, hide from the sun! Past: Get some colour in those cheeks! Paddle Naked!

PostPosted: August 24th, 2011, 7:01 pm 

It's been a while for me as well but I seem to recall we stayed on a spacious site with a good beach on that small point of land on the north shore that points towards the island in the west arm of the lake. There is an interesting motel just before you enter South River call (oddly enough) the Algonquin Motel. Stayed there one night in the winter when I was on a dog sled trip in the area. It's not bad, a bit better than your average flea bag joint. Call for reservations though.

Last edited by DaveH on August 25th, 2011, 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: August 25th, 2011, 8:55 am 

My wife and I were just there a couple of weekends ago, most of the north shore campsites in the west arm are excellent, and are exactly what you are looking for. Also, to add to DaveH's comment about South River, stop at Antonio's Grill, order the Massive Panzerotti, it is absolutely amazing. It is about the size of a football, and $11. Best meal to get after being in the back country for a few days.

For sleeping, you could stay at either of the two outfitters on Kawawaymog (Round) lake, or you could stay at Mikisew Provincial Park, which is about 35 minutes from the access point.

PostPosted: August 25th, 2011, 9:40 am 

Cheryl,

I'm pretty sure the site I've marked below is the one we camped at on Vic Day w/e several years ago. Nice big site, fairly high up among red pines. We chose it because we thought, being fairly high and open, the black flies wouldn't be so bad with the predicted higher than normal temps. The bits of snow blowing thru the site on Sun Am made double dog sure we didn't have blackflies. :P :roll: :doh:
Attachment:
N Tea.jpg
N Tea.jpg [ 72.13 KiB | Viewed 1074 times ]

Old canoeists never die---they just smell that way.

PostPosted: August 25th, 2011, 10:02 am 
CCR Assistant Administrator

Just posting to put in a good word for JeffM's map:

http://www.algonquinmap.com/online.html

:thumbup:

PostPosted: August 25th, 2011, 4:00 pm 

Cheryl, you have to stay at Northern Wilderness Outfitters
www.northernwilderness.com/
To stay in the chalet is only $30 per person per nite...but you get a huge chalet with little furniture so you can spread out and load your gear, you have the closest access to the river which sure beats the winds on the lake when you return...and the best of all a nice hot sauna you can use when you return..its a bit of a circuitous road from the permit office but so worth it...I know folks that have gone for a canoe trip , skipped the trip and just stayed there...there is a fire pit and barbq pits...
Plus you have to ask the owner, the retired gent about his bear encounter, its a great story...plus ask his opinions on every single canoe legend, he knows them all...

and for North Tea ...all the sites on the north shore (except one) are fabulous and the East arm island sites are great too!

PostPosted: August 25th, 2011, 5:17 pm 

That is a big help guys. Thanks.

Present: Slip, Slap and Slop, hide from the sun! Past: Get some colour in those cheeks! Paddle Naked!

PostPosted: August 25th, 2011, 8:01 pm 

The outfitter is full that weekend, and it an hour return to get permits, so I will investigate other ideas. Who is the other outfitter?

PostPosted: September 5th, 2011, 6:56 pm 

Wow! we got in by noon on Friday, and took a site near the portage (the ranger said the lake was already or going to be full by Thurs night). By Friday night, our son had counted 80 canoes going in, and only 16 going out!

Mass exodus Sun. and this morning, but passed 14 boats going in on our way out.

Antonio's panzarotti was absolutely amazing! It fed the 3 of us lunch - thanks for the tip!

We ended up staying in Huntsville at a place that had a pool. Son needs to blow off steam and 2 hours in the pool and he can conk right out into bed at 10:30.
Had a good trip, and tennis elbows hurt but survived!