View topic - Lake Simcoe kayaking

It is currently October 13th, 2019, 6:35 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Lake Simcoe kayaking
PostPosted: August 15th, 2011, 3:25 pm 

A friend who lives in Barrie would like me to introduce her to kayaking. Any suggestions for an introductory paddle route in the Barrie area, including Kempenfelt Bay of Lake Simcoe?

Post subject: Re: Lake Simcoe kayaking
PostPosted: August 16th, 2011, 10:51 am 

Kempenfeldt Bay always seemed featureless while I lived in Barrie and I never went canoeing there. I'm sure there will be kayaks on the water if all that's wanted is paddling time. There is a public park in town with beach access.

Cook's Bay on Simcoe further south has a marshy character to it and there's more chance of seeing wildlife. But there will also be large power boats cruising around so not exactly an isolated spot. IIRC, Hwy 89 ends at a public access beach and so do the township roads to the south and so does Alcona beach (lots of private shoreline development in the area).

Minesing Swamp and the Nottawasaga River to the west of Barrie offers some wilder river paddling with less chance of disturbance from power boats... put in near Angus and take out at Edenvale. Search on Nottawasaga Valley Conservation Authority (NVCA) for info.

Georgian Bay Islands National Park and Beausoliel Island a little further away could be the most scenic in the area for an introduction to paddling, and Georgian Bay's 30,000 islands are recognized for quality kayaking... visitor info and map below, there are also trip reports in the CCR routes folder.

http://www.pc.gc.ca/pn-np/on/georg/index.aspx

Good luck!

PS... all of the large lakes can get rough in wind, so maybe for an introductory first time, make sure the water is calm enough. The Nottawasaga never gets rough because of it's sheltered character.... just a thought.

PostPosted: August 16th, 2011, 11:20 am 
CCR Assistant Administrator

frozentripper wrote:
Kempenfeldt Bay always seemed featureless while I lived in Barrie and I never went canoeing there. I'm sure there will be kayaks on the water if all that's wanted is paddling time. There is a public park in town with beach access.

The Barrie Canoe and Kayak Club have their clubhouse right there.

http://www.bckc.ca/

Quote:
Cook's Bay on Simcoe further south has a marshy character to it and there's more chance of seeing wildlife. But there will also be large power boats cruising around so not exactly an isolated spot. IIRC, Hwy 89 ends at a public access beach and so do the township roads to the south and so does Alcona beach (lots of private shoreline development in the area).

The problem with Innisfil is that all road end allowances have been blocked so that you aren't allowed to park at them. Only in Innisfil Beach Park are you allowed to park, and then as a non-resident you will have to pay for the privilege.

There are probably marinas where you could launch for a fee. I have no idea. I live here and we travel further north to get away from all this bureaucracy and cottage-clogged waterways if we want to go paddling.

PostPosted: August 17th, 2011, 4:52 pm 

Thanks for your input. Will let you know what we decide and how it turns out.

PostPosted: September 5th, 2011, 10:01 am 

Kempenfelt Bay would probably be ideal for introducing basic concepts to a novice paddler.

I occasionally put in at Minet's Point for an early-morning paddle. Lots of parking, very close to the water.

Many concession roads in Oro run down to the water, and have (limited) parking available.

PostPosted: September 6th, 2011, 5:04 am 

Thanks for this suggestion!

PostPosted: September 8th, 2011, 4:11 pm 

If they're willing to go a little further north, there's a lovely quiet spot on the Muskoka River at the 118 junction. I can give you more details if you're interested.