View topic - hiking in QE2PP

It is currently July 10th, 2020, 9:57 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: hiking in QE2PP
PostPosted: December 2nd, 2011, 9:36 pm 

Ive done some paddling in Queen Elizabeth II P.P. and would like to do some more exploring. I know there are some CCR regulars that are very familiar with the park, and was wondering how hard it would be to follow the ganaraska trail this time of year? would be starting from Moores falls access or possibly Devils lake where my map shows a trail to Sheldon lake.

Post subject: Re: hiking in QE2PP
PostPosted: December 2nd, 2011, 10:18 pm 

If there is no snow on the ground it will be easy. With all the rain lately there will be a lot of water in the lower areas, the moss on top of the granite will be very slippery.
Hunters will still be out,
wear some hunters orange so you can be seen easily.
Carry an extra pair of shoes that can get wet. Beaver ponds could be full and if you are camping over night it would be good to have dry boots.

Choosing to save a river is more often an act of passion than of careful calculation. You make the choice because the river has touched your life in an intimate and irreversible way, because you are unwilling to accept its loss. — (David Bolling, Ho

PostPosted: December 2nd, 2011, 10:33 pm 

I think they already have snow. There are open "barrens" areas with no trees and very few shrubs. The trail blazes are painted onto the bare rock, rather than using stone cairns. Even an inch of snow would obscure the trail completely. You would need a good map showing the trail and a compass to get across the barren areas. Be prepared to spend some time finding the trail again on the other side.

I have only walked the eastern side starting at Victoria falls. The trail is about half barrens on that side, but I do not know about the Moore's falls end.

shearjoy Sometimes your joy is the source of your smile, but sometimes your smile can be the source of your joy. Thich Nhat Hanh

PostPosted: December 3rd, 2011, 5:35 pm 

My understanding that the blazes in QEWPP are hard to follow at the best of times and that access from the East end (if you were considering that as an option) is quite problematic.

Old canoeists never die---they just smell that way.

PostPosted: December 3rd, 2011, 6:51 pm 

Yep, they got snow, today's modis image
http://coastwatch.glerl.noaa.gov/modis/ ... 3.250m.jpg
Most of my wonderings in this area rarely connected with marked trails,
always just enjoyed the wondering around mostly with just a topo map and now with google earth images.
Jeff

Choosing to save a river is more often an act of passion than of careful calculation. You make the choice because the river has touched your life in an intimate and irreversible way, because you are unwilling to accept its loss. — (David Bolling, Ho

PostPosted: December 3rd, 2011, 6:55 pm 

I've hiked parts of the Ganaraska before, theres a short segment included in our video from 3:14-4:18 if you're interested, really just get an idea of the terrain and what you'll encounter on the trail. It can be pretty easy to follow the trail in segments, especially in times with a lack of foliage like now, the white markers stand out and aren't hidden by leaves. Snow may come and go with these temperatures. But the barren areas could be hard to follow, I have found that if you're observant you'll see all the trail markers and shouldn't get too turned around. The path in some parts is not well worn and may b covered in leaves this time of year. There are numerous blowdowns so it can sometimes make finding the next marker a bit tedious. It's doable this time of year though.

3:14-4:18

My Backcountry Website: www.explorethebackcountry.com

PostPosted: December 4th, 2011, 9:40 am 

thanks for the input. was planning to go today but the cold december rain has changed my plans. I have read that the trail can be hard to follow at the best of times. I will get a better topo of the area and maybe do some exploring when everything freezes up. Its only 45 minutes from my door and I have enjoyed the sections of the park I have paddled through.