View topic - 1000 islands kayaking tours

It is currently September 18th, 2020, 10:08 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: June 8th, 2012, 9:18 pm 

Anyone ever do a tour with this company out of Gananoque? Any advice? my wife and I are in the area for a couple of days mid week near the end of this month and I was looking at doing a day long kayaking tour of the thousand islands national park area near Gananoque. Lunch, guide and all equipment is provided, 135$ per person, is it worth it?. I would bring my canoe but I've never kayaked and thought it would be a good place to start, plus, the wife isn't exactly a 'paddler'......Also, I don't want to leave my canoe on the roof for several days at the hotel.....Could do the thousand islands boat cruise but paddling is definitely always the better option.

Anyone have any experiences?
Cheers!

PostPosted: June 8th, 2012, 10:16 pm 

I can't vouch for the tour company but I can comment on paddling through the St Lawrence Islands National Park. We did a weekend canoe trip from Gananoque to Mallerytown Landing in early June 2009 before the busy summer boating season. Our group had 2 tandem canoes and one kayak. We camped on Beaurivage Is, Camelot Is and Grenadier Is. The quietest and most enjoyable paddling area was the group of islands south of Gananoque. As we proceeded down the river and under the Ivy Lee bridge the channels got narrower and the boat traffic more concentrated. Those thousand island cruisers throw up a big wake. It was very different from our usual northern paddling trips and we felt more like an enigma surrounded by the "yachty" crowd. The thousand island "cottages" were impressive to paddle by.

PostPosted: June 9th, 2012, 9:57 am 

Quote:
...in the area for a couple of days mid week near the end of this month...

I haven't been there since the eighties when I did some werk for Parks Canada... there are some nice islands but at the same time large vessels are around and often moor and camp where camping is allowed.

The best thing for me was the fishing... the waters are productive and at the end of this month bass season opens. Plenty of smallmouth in the 1000 islands and always a chance for a musky besides.