View topic - New Access Point / Option for Woodland Caribou!

It is currently July 15th, 2019, 11:18 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: November 6th, 2013, 2:16 pm 

We are really pleased to announce that for 2014 we will be offering a “new” access point into Woodland Caribou…well perhaps it’s not really new, it just hasn’t been practical in the past and very few, if any have actually used it. A lot of people here are likely used to having this option for entry into the BWCA or Quetico, but this is all brand new up here!

We have a new 22’ boat coming this spring with custom canoe racks. It will have the seating and weight capacity for up to 8 people, their gear and 4 canoes for the 30 km trek down the lake. Transport into the park will be via the west end of Red Lake and Trout Bay. This will mean paddlers will have only an 800 meter portage to get into Douglas Lake to begin their trip and offers direct access to the 2 different watershed route options below.

Gammon River: Entering at Douglas Lake, you are into Walleye waters as soon as the first portage is complete and offers you entry to the Gammon River system by way of Hatchet, Upper Hatchet, Embryo and Telescope Lakes.

North Route through Indian House to the Bloodvein: This seldom used option is now a lot more practical as you access Indian House Lake by way of Douglas, Hatchet, Peterson, Page, Bell and Crystal Lakes. Not only does this offer access to the Bloodvein, but it also creates options for new routes with a put-in via our new water shuttle, and take-out at Lund Lake. Most appealing about this route option is that walleye are abundant on Douglas and Hatchet, and there is an excellent chance of encountering no other groups along the stretch from Hatchet to Indian House. For groups looking for new areas to explore that are remote, this could be a really great opportunity.

In continuing with our company philosophy and volunteer work, Red Lake Outfitters will be making sure all trails within this area are free and clear of blow down before the beginning of the coming paddling season.

We are also going to be offering interpretive water tours of Red Lake itself for those interested in spending a few hours learning about the history of Red Lake. There is a lot to explore around the lake including Pictograph’s, and old Hudson Bay Post, old mine sites, interesting geological formations and even the west end historical Museum (a true gem!) located down the lake! These interpretive tours can also be included in a water shuttle to begin your trip!

Our new ride will look similar to the boat pictured below

We’ll be posting more information shortly on our website and Facebook pages for those interested.

PostPosted: November 6th, 2013, 8:51 pm 

This is spam.

PostPosted: November 6th, 2013, 9:07 pm 

Sorry you feel that way Joe....

Actually, I believe there are a lot of paddlers on this board that are looking to travel WCPP or have traveled in the past that would find it informative to know that this new option exists.

If the Mods here feel this is SPAM, please feel free to take this down.

I see you have posted your same remark on another forum as well....perhaps you are offended?

PostPosted: November 6th, 2013, 9:20 pm 

A less expensive way compared to a fly in is good to know. Especially since this is major planning season for a trip that takes some logistic planning and expense.
It is not the first posting that points back to a persons particular "interests"
it is still a great way to get that info out.
And if all those with "other interests" where banned there would be a "heck" of a hole in the community.
Jeff

Choosing to save a river is more often an act of passion than of careful calculation. You make the choice because the river has touched your life in an intimate and irreversible way, because you are unwilling to accept its loss. — (David Bolling, Ho

PostPosted: November 6th, 2013, 9:26 pm 

Thanks Jeff.

I should note that the purpose of the shuttle is that it opens up the two new routes...or perhaps very low use routes and that this now provides immediate access to areas that before took a little grunt work to get to.....just trying to get the info out.

Harlan

PostPosted: November 6th, 2013, 9:53 pm 

This is a great option for accessing the park, Harlan. I've been looking at the routes in & around Indian House Lake, etc., and a water taxi start would be perfect. Thanks for posting this info. I will take it into consideration when planning my next trip to WCPP.

www.mikemonaghan.ca

PostPosted: November 7th, 2013, 12:59 am 

Harlan wrote:
Sorry you feel that way Joe .... I see you have posted your same remark on another forum as well....perhaps you are offended?

Offended? Oh no, I LOVE spam. Especially when I see the same post advertising the poster's commercial services on multiple websites.

Perhaps I misunderstood this part of myccr's Netiquette page:

"Don't Advertise
We provide and pay for these forums as a meeting place for people sharing a common interest. They shouldn't be considered a way to get free advertising material out to that group. If you'd like to advertise, feel free to contact us about those banners and text ads you see over on the right side. Heck, if you're perceived as supporting these forums, the users will probably even buy your product."

Perhaps myccr's administrators won't see your post as advertising. But to me, your post seems to be something that should go out by email to jedi jeffi, canoeguitar, and anyone else who requests to be on your mailing list.

PostPosted: November 7th, 2013, 6:34 am 

Yes you misunderstood the intent of the forum rules.

PostPosted: November 7th, 2013, 8:24 am 

Joe - I probably will never paddle in Woodland but I realize that such a posting is useful for the paddling community for folks trying to plan a decent trip in such areas. Such postings could be spam (irrelevance or excessive frequency) but that's not the issue here, in my opinion.

To me, an outfitter is primarily a partner in our endeavours. May be you can see it the same way...

Last edited by Erhard on November 7th, 2013, 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: November 7th, 2013, 8:31 am 
CCR Moderator & Assistant Administrator

There is a blurry line between advertising and information. My decision upon seeing Harlan's post was that it is of sufficient interest to our membership to allow it.

PostPosted: November 7th, 2013, 9:22 am 

It's been fun watching Harlan "grow" from advice seeker right here on these forums to actually running a successful outdoor outfitting service. We are lucky to have a couple of other participants too, and their posts reflect that they are busy with business!

PostPosted: November 7th, 2013, 11:52 am 

Funny I always have my "spam" filter on maximum alert and really didnt see it that way . Harlan has done an amazing job of opening up Woodland Caribou to paddlers. Running an outfitting company is a tricky business and while there are few successes in AO and where there is heavy traffic like Algonquin and Quetico its far more difficult to make it a go in the less busy areas.

Every time Harlan imparts some new aspect of paddling in Woodland Caribou I put it in my "trips to do " column. Finding a lightweight canoe from an outfitter west of Sudbury is always a challenge but knowing that outfitters in Red Lake can provide shuttles and even winter camping tents is welcomed information.This new information helps since I always thought of WC as a fly in only place .

Once could argue that when Kevin Callan posts a new video release on his crazed effort to circumnavigate Algonquin as spam to sell more books I really wouldn't see it that way.
And if the "bug shirt" guy came out with a new model I would sure like to hear about it.

PostPosted: November 7th, 2013, 3:14 pm 

@ Joe_Schmeaux...

In many of Canada's more remote paddling areas the local outfitter is often one of the best sources of information for paddlers to tap into. When it comes to the logistics of paddling in and around WCPP, or the Bloodvein River, Harlan is a wealth of information. That there are now new access/egress options available in the area is welcomed information. Not spam.

www.mikemonaghan.ca

PostPosted: November 7th, 2013, 3:46 pm 

Incorrect content deleted.
Regrets.

A literal mind is a little mind. If it's not worth doing to excess, it's not worth doing at all. Good enough isn't.  None are so blind as those who choose not to see. (AJ)

Last edited by Allan Jacobs on November 8th, 2013, 5:40 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: November 7th, 2013, 4:35 pm 

Jeeze Harlan! What are ya thinking? There I was sitting on my couch, doing the potato thing, and you go and tick one more box of “why I can’t really do the WCPP, I’d like to, but it’s too far, too complicated, too hard…”
I don’t know/don’t care what damn spam scam thang you call this, I call this the final nudge of encouragement to explore and discover WCPP. Thanks Harlan. I also like the idea of an interpretive history tour. We can stick any label on this - commercial, historical, cultural, but when push comes to shove, I’ve been informed and am thankful for it.