View topic - Little French River - Free Flow Channel question

It is currently September 23rd, 2019, 3:01 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: February 4th, 2016, 9:18 am 

Hey...
Unfortunately, one of the members of our group was sick the morning we arrived at Dokis, so we had to delay our trip by a day and were unable to do the trip as planned. We ended up putting in at Otter Bay Campground (Little French) and went to the Five Finger Rapids and base camped below the rapids then returned to Otter Bay... We probably will do this loop at some point but I think we'll put-in near Dokis and go down the Free Flow Channel instead of up it... as I recall, when we stopped to look at the channel from the bridge over the Little French, there was quite a flow and it would have been a difficult paddle... will let you know if we ever do it.... or if you do it let me know....
One note of interest, you can buy PP permits at Otter Bay up until the long weekend in Sept ( probably starting in late Jun/ July long weekend ) if you want to start at Otter Bay... after that you either have to pick them up at the park office off of Hwy 69 going north just before you cross the French River bridge( if they're open) or at one of the lodges near Dokis Marina (can't recall the name)... Dokis Marina does not handle PP permits....
Cheers,
Al 8)

PostPosted: February 4th, 2016, 4:55 pm 

Thx---where is Otter Bay?

Old canoeists never die---they just smell that way.

PostPosted: February 4th, 2016, 7:56 pm 

Hey Wotrock,
About 1 km before you cross the bridge over the Little French River on the Dokis Reserve Road on your way to Dokis Marina, there is a road on the right ( a bit hidden ) with a French River PP Permits sign on a tree... this leads into Otter Bay.
Check out the map: https://www.google.com.mx/maps/place/Fr ... 23!6m1!1e1
That's where we put in...
Hope this helps
Al 8)

PostPosted: July 30th, 2018, 7:46 pm 

Hey Al,

We did a quite similar tip last week, also as a "Plan B". Plan A was to go out the Key, so you can guess what happened. We needed to drive to Dokis as the guy at Otter only takes cash. When passing over the bridge I noticed that there was a whole lot less flow than a few autumns ago when a bud and I went fishing up there. I assume that Nip is 'drawn down' a bit in the fall by opening the dams as is done on so many other lakes.

PostPosted: July 30th, 2018, 10:34 pm 

Hey Wotrock,
The Parry Sound 33 fire has really put a dent in canoe season on the French this year. We cancelled our couples trip from Hartley Bay to Crombie Bay Point area. Did you start at Otter Bay and do a loop or just go down past Five Finger Rapids and back. If you did a loop and ran the the Little French I'd like to know where the portage is.
Not sure how the dams work up there and if they would affect the level of the Little French, but it is possible. Glad to hear that a least you got a trip in. I'm off to do the Missinaibi train to train from Missinaibi to Peterbell a week from this Thursday: Dog Lake, Crooked Lake, Missinaibi Lake and part of the river. No fires up there so far.
Cheers,
Al

PostPosted: July 31st, 2018, 6:47 am 

We just did a similar trip as you did---down past 5 Finger and back. It was an OK trip but we like the delta better. Oh well, next year!!

PostPosted: July 31st, 2018, 7:54 am 

Hey Wotrock,
Were there lots of paddlers on that section of the French? Lets hope they get the Parry Sound 33 fire under control and out soon. My friend Richard just sent me a map of how far it has encroached and it's getting dangerously close to the main channel of the French and has taken out one of our go to base camp spots on the north/south channel of the Pickerel River leading to the Bay. The leading NW edge is creeping towards Merranger's Island and Moosehorn Bay near the Canoe channel and the Elbow. If it gets there it will be devastating for French River PP and the cottages in that area. :( :(
Cheers,
Al

PostPosted: July 31st, 2018, 8:04 pm 

Not many paddlers but LOTS of fishermen! We have never gone E of 69 on the French so I was a bit surprised even though I know there are quite a few fish camps there. The delta is by far my fave.

I see that Fox L has been burnt over too :x . A very scenic area---really too bad.