View topic - Has anyone been to Gibson / McCrae recently?

It is currently September 20th, 2020, 5:03 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: May 28th, 2017, 8:55 am 

Hi,
Although we have done some back country canoe/camping trips in the past, they have always been in parks that we reserved a site on. We are looking at doing our first on crown land and would like some input into a relatively good spot that is not that far from west GTA (Oakville).
I have been reviewing the Gibson / McCrae Lake Route, and although this seems like a nice spot and easy - I am concerned with what I have read about it being "party central". Has anyone done this route recently? The last post I could find was in 2012.
We are willing and open to other routes, but due to some back issues with one in our party we have to limit portages to shorter distances (under 500m).
Thanks in Advance!

PostPosted: May 28th, 2017, 12:07 pm 

I haven't been to the Gibson/McCrae area so I can't give you any advice on that, but if you are open to other easy routes then you should look into the Wolf Island PP area. It's on the Trent-Severn Waterway so it's not the most remote, however a number of the sites are tucked away in bays, so it is fairly private. It's a perfect novice route with only one portage and its only about 50m long.

PostPosted: May 28th, 2017, 8:12 pm 

:) Thank you cbert, i will check on that route.

PostPosted: May 29th, 2017, 3:10 pm 

I live nearby and day trip there regularly. I don't recommend it unless you're going during the week in the off season. If you want to stay in the area, Massassuga is better.
If you're still considering McCrae, I have a lot of current information and pictures on my website

Shawn http://myselfreliance.com/ https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIMXKi ... q2UJePJEog

PostPosted: May 29th, 2017, 4:55 pm 

Thank you my_self_reliance. We have a reservation for Massassauga for the August long weekend. I spent all my summers growing up in the Parry Sound area so I feel right at home as soon as I see granite outcrops! (In fact broke my back there last summer!)
We are looking for crown land (more the roughing it type of back country) for a quick weekend canoe trip. We would like to stay under 3 hours from Oakville, which is why I was looking at McCrae.
We will keep searching.
Thanks again,
Cheers!

PostPosted: July 7th, 2020, 9:25 am 

My apologies for adding to an old post, but my subject was going to be the same. I am looking at doing the Gibson - McDonald route (https://www.myccr.com/canoeroutes/gibso ... nald-route) in early August. I haven't done this one in 20 years, so before 69 was widened out as the 400. Is it still possible to pass under the highway by water? The maps I have seen look like it, though the McDonald one appears to be through a concrete culvert.

PostPosted: July 7th, 2020, 10:33 am 

We tried to get under 400 last year, and turned back a sit was literally an ankle breaker and not designed to carry a canoe through. Also a lot of no parking signs. to get into McCrae, you are better to go in via: https://www.myccr.com/phpbbforum/viewto ... on#p434434
We tried to do free parking and get in at Potter’s landing, but the marsh was impenetrable, and with lack of rain it may very well be this year as well. Go Home Lake Marina has parking for a reasonable rate. The store and place to pay are right up on the dock facing the river, but the parking is at the back. I was easy to get the canoe in on the little inlet into the marina, or to carry down to the dock.