View topic - Killarney PP - Threenarrows Lake info (fishing, portage,etc)

It is currently August 12th, 2020, 4:33 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: July 24th, 2020, 11:48 am 

Hey,

Just found this site, looks awesome. I am planning a trip to Killarney later this summer and Threenarrows seems to be the only site in the park available. I had a few questions about it if anyone is willing to answer.

Ill start with the dreaded 3k portage. Seems like it is mostly flat after the initial hill. Is it really that bad. My friends and I are early 30s pretty good shape and intermediate paddlers. We've previously only done portages with whitewater canoes so Im hoping the lighter canoes are a breeze compared to those chonkers.

Is the fishing good there or are any of the nearby lakes better?

I've read that there are a few cottages with motorboats on it (le sigh) and floatplanes, it seems like a mixed bag on whether they will be busy or not. However the older posts on here seemed like it was busier 10+ years ago compared to newer posts. We're going during the week so I'm hoping itll be less traffic.

Looking to do a solid hike one day, bushwhacking is fine. Looks like getting to Silver Peak might be a bit much in one day. Does anyone know of the accessibility of quartzite lake. I saw a youtube video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojXQBXrDZpQ where they get there from it seems Killarney lake. Does anyone think this is possible coming from Threenarrows?

Thinking of staying on Doris Island, any recommendations on best site?

Thanks all for any input, much appreciated.

PostPosted: July 24th, 2020, 6:55 pm 

You can get to Quartzite from 3-narrows... my route was by walking along the high ground paralleling the long Killarney-3-narrows port, on high ground on the east side... either park your canoe at the beginning of the 400m port to the unnamed pond going towards Killarney, or port the canoe the 400m and park at the beginning of the 3000+ port where the clear rock exposures begin on the left (east side) of the port..

Climb up along the clear quartzite rocks and along the highest ground southerly until you get to the highest point, which has a decent view in several directions. Along the way and maybe a little further south and west there are high cliffs overlooking the maple forest covering the port below. Most of this hike is clear, unobstructed smooth rock.

At the peak, changing direction will provide a hike towards Quartzite... there are steep cliffs and rocks on the north side of the lake, and a more level spot on a small peninsula for a lunch break. Or there might be other spots to hike to depending where you are and where want to gp. The hike into Quartzite is rougher than the relatively smooth going along the rocks that parallel the port.

Back at the peak mentioned earlier on, going south, again parallel to the port and keeping to the high ground rock exposures, leads to a forested dip and then a rise back up into rocks where there's a shallow overhanging cave. Further south, is another lower peak overlooking Killarney followed by a rough and maybe risky scramble down a scree slope to get back to the beginning of the long port at the Killarney end.

It might be easier and more scenic just to retrace the hike along the high ground back to the highest peak and return the same way on the rocks, esp if the evening's coming on.. enjoy.

PostPosted: July 26th, 2020, 4:21 pm 

Thanks frozentripper. I'll map out your route and bring it with me

PostPosted: July 27th, 2020, 8:14 am 

I was there a few years back and caught a small bass or 2. It seemed to be a fairly shallow and fertile lake but less scenic than OSA, Killarney

Old canoeists never die---they just smell that way.