View topic - James Bay Coast paddling

It is currently June 26th, 2019, 9:17 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: March 21st, 2018, 9:34 pm 

OP here.

Thank you for helping me the challenges with doing this trek.

I have paddled the east and west coast, and know of these challenges.

It sounds Like I need to do a lot more research on the weather patterns.

What is the calmest month for wind?

PostPosted: April 13th, 2018, 1:27 pm 

Op here, yet again.

I now have a chart for James Bay.

It look like I will have mud flats that can be as far as 5km extending for up to 20km.

I really wish there were pictures and good knowledge from the area. I have talked to someone from there and they just don't have the knowledge.

Because of this, I am wondering if there are suitable camping spots that are near the mouth of the river that could allow me to paddle out, but be able to return to the safety of the non tidal area.

I am really surprised that the local area hasn't done much to promote the area for kayaking.

PostPosted: April 13th, 2018, 5:58 pm 

swimmer_sppe wrote:
Op here, yet again.

It look like I will have mud flats that can be as far as 5km extending for up to 20km.

Sounds about right

I really wish there were pictures and good knowledge from the area. I have talked to someone from there and they just don't have the knowledge.

Here is a short video clip, this was shot maybe 5km east the mouth of the Moose https://youtu.be/g3qKHX7COss

Because of this, I am wondering if there are suitable camping spots that are near the mouth of the river that could allow me to paddle out, but be able to return to the safety of the non tidal area.

You can probably find a camping spot on Ship Sands Island, it won't be great but it might be dry. The tide effect goes all the way up the Moose to a couple of km's upstream of the Moosonee townsite

I am really surprised that the local area hasn't done much to promote the area for kayaking.

Given that it's ugly, there's nowhere to go and it's dangerous it's not an area anyone would want to promote for general recreational purposes

PostPosted: April 13th, 2018, 7:16 pm 

recped wrote:
swimmer_sppe wrote:
Op here, yet again.

Sounds about right

Here is a short video clip, this was shot maybe 5km east the mouth of the Moose https://youtu.be/g3qKHX7COss

You can probably find a camping spot on Ship Sands Island, it won't be great but it might be dry. The tide effect goes all the way up the Moose to a couple of km's upstream of the Moosonee townsite

Given that it's ugly, there's nowhere to go and it's dangerous it's not an area anyone would want to promote for general recreational purposes

That video really helps me know what it is like.

As far as the beauty of it, it is a very different landscape. I would not call it ugly.

If someone were to work out the details for connected campsites and they knew the area really well, it could be promoted. I know I would sign up for a guided tour in the area.

PostPosted: April 14th, 2018, 4:49 pm 

I love James Bay. It has a desolate beauty to it.

If you paddle it please share your thoughts on how to promote it and if it's even safe doing so. The locals have tried promoting it and failed miserably. Check out Goose Camp on google.

It is easy to become wind bound for days even with a large freighter canoe. I would like to paddle the section of coastline from Hanna Bay to the Moose River. It is hard to determine the length of time needed...depends on the weather and tides.

There have been a number of people stranded on the Bay and requiring helicopter rescue. Check out Bill Holland and some of his trip reports. Maybe Bill reads this and it's not to criticize him. He has a large amount of experience paddling the bay in a kayak. But Bill is crazy too IMHO. Read his reports and you will see why lol.

PostPosted: April 14th, 2018, 5:43 pm 

Sam82 wrote:
I love James Bay. It has a desolate beauty to it.

If you paddle it please share your thoughts on how to promote it and if it's even safe doing so. The locals have tried promoting it and failed miserably. Check out Goose Camp on google.

It is easy to become wind bound for days even with a large freighter canoe. I would like to paddle the section of coastline from Hanna Bay to the Moose River. It is hard to determine the length of time needed...depends on the weather and tides.

There have been a number of people stranded on the Bay and requiring helicopter rescue. Check out Bill Holland and some of his trip reports. Maybe Bill reads this and it's not to criticize him. He has a large amount of experience paddling the bay in a kayak. But Bill is crazy too IMHO. Read his reports and you will see why lol.

Define wind bound.
I have on several occasions paddled through waves that crash over my entire kayak.
I have zig zagged for far too many hours to save myself from being capsized.

I own a 18' sea kayak, and I know how to load it so that my weight is as low as I can get it.

(I am also stubborn/crazy.....)

PostPosted: April 14th, 2018, 9:24 pm 

Bill Hollard have a trip report that includes paddling on the bay, see day 14, July 1st.
http://www.myccr.com/canoeroutes/kattawagami-river

PostPosted: April 14th, 2018, 9:58 pm 

Paddle Power wrote:
Bill Hollard have a trip report that includes paddling on the bay, see day 14, July 1st.
http://www.myccr.com/canoeroutes/kattawagami-river

Thank you. That was a good read.

It sounds like I need to really learn the tides.

PostPosted: April 14th, 2018, 11:46 pm 

Tides are not really the issue and "learning" is very simple, tides go in and tides go out, they follow a schedule.

The problem in that part of the world is the weather which can turn from calm and clear to high winds and storms very quickly. If you are 2 - 3 km from shore and a big offshore wind comes up you may find yourself 5 - 10km offshore, out of sight of any land and in a potentially dangerous situation.

PostPosted: April 14th, 2018, 11:53 pm 

recped wrote:
Tides are not really the issue and "learning" is very simple, tides go in and tides go out, they follow a schedule.

The problem in that part of the world is the weather which can turn from calm and clear to high winds and storms very quickly. If you are 2 - 3 km from shore and a big offshore wind comes up you may find yourself 5 - 10km offshore, out of sight of any land and in a potentially dangerous situation.

An offshore wind would be great. It beats one that is perpendicular. Then I just punch through those waves.

The worst trek I did was when I was trying to head south and a wind from the east was coming at me. It was creating 1-2m white caps. I fought that for hours. If it had been an offshore wind, I would have fought through the waves, but I would not have also had to worry about one rolling me.

PostPosted: April 16th, 2018, 1:09 pm 

People have camped on the mud flats waiting for the water to return.

People have dealt with stopping on mud flats in calm waters only to experience waves crashing when the water returns—and dragging canoes towards land.

In general people don’t like paddling along that coastline because of the extensive mud flats.

PostPosted: April 16th, 2018, 2:35 pm 

Just read Bill Holland's Kattawagami report from 2009. Thanks for linking it here. That's a good read! No, it's an excellent read. I wonder how subsequent paddling trips worked out for him. Say hello if you read this, Bill!

PostPosted: April 16th, 2018, 3:39 pm 

Paddle Power wrote:
People have camped on the mud flats waiting for the water to return.

People have dealt with stopping on mud flats in calm waters only to experience waves crashing when the water returns—and dragging canoes towards land.

In general people don’t like paddling along that coastline because of the extensive mud flats.

So, the mud flats are reasonably solid? If that is the case, this actually makes this easier.

Due to the change in tide of less than 1m, I could simply drop an anchor, walk my gear to above the tide line, and if the boat is floating, I pull it closer to shore.

I know I am not doing this unless I have a drysuit, as I am guessing that the bay doesn't warm up much.

I would also plan on staying up river for a night or so to ensure I an not late for my return train home. For the night before, I would most likely stay at one of the B&B/hotels in town.

PostPosted: April 17th, 2018, 6:11 pm 

I never said camping was easy or good just that I know it has been done.

PostPosted: April 17th, 2018, 6:29 pm 

Paddle Power wrote:
I never said camping was easy or good just that I know it has been done.

And it's a lot more comfortable to "camp" in a canoe than "camp" in a kayak!

To be perfectly clear, I hope you go, I hope you have a great (and safe) trip I just don't think you should even vaguely suggest to others who may be reading that it's a safe and enjoyable thing to do.