View topic - James Bay Coast paddling

It is currently August 9th, 2020, 4:23 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: April 17th, 2018, 10:35 pm 

Paddle Power wrote:
I never said camping was easy or good just that I know it has been done.

Are the trees big enough to support a hammock? Can't get any easier than hammock camping.

PostPosted: April 17th, 2018, 10:40 pm 

recped wrote:
Paddle Power wrote:

And it's a lot more comfortable to "camp" in a canoe than "camp" in a kayak!

To be perfectly clear, I hope you go, I hope you have a great (and safe) trip I just don't think you should even vaguely suggest to others who may be reading that it's a safe and enjoyable thing to do.

The more information I get, the more I know just how much of a challenge this will be. If I do it this summer, I may do it in August. I know I need a few more maps, a tide table, and I need a drysuit, all before doing this.

If/when I do this, there will definitely be a trip report posted.

I never knew about the long mud flats. The rest, like the cold water, and the unpredictable wind and weather, I figured, just by the nature of the area. It is an Arctic oceanic area, right?

PostPosted: April 18th, 2018, 7:42 pm 

swimmer_sppe wrote:
Paddle Power wrote:

Are the trees big enough to support a hammock? Can't get any easier than hammock camping.

Trees? On the sections I've paddled I do not remember any trees. I'm a hammock camper too. I spent a night near the mouth of the Harricana and set up a tent on a pile of logs up against alder thickets. It was the worst camp I've ever had by far. There was no "ground" I could find.

PostPosted: April 18th, 2018, 8:46 pm 

Sam82 wrote:
swimmer_sppe wrote:
Paddle Power wrote:

Trees? On the sections I've paddled I do not remember any trees. I'm a hammock camper too. I spent a night near the mouth of the Harricana and set up a tent on a pile of logs up against alder thickets. It was the worst camp I've ever had by far. There was no "ground" I could find.

Do you happen to have any pictures of the shore line?

I may have to really rethink this all.

PostPosted: June 19th, 2019, 9:42 pm 

Over a few pages in the Autumn ‘07 Nastawgan, Brett Hodnett describes paddling across the flats from the Kattawagami to Moosonee. Section begins p. 5, June 19.

https://www.myccr.com/sites/default/fil ... all_07.pdf

PostPosted: June 19th, 2019, 10:26 pm 

chad9477 wrote:
Over a few pages in the Autumn ‘07 Nastawgan, Brett Hodnett describes paddling across the flats from the Kattawagami to Moosonee. Section begins p. 5, June 19.

https://www.myccr.com/sites/default/fil ... all_07.pdf

Thank you. That was a good read. The potential to end up sleeping in my kayak sounds like a challenge I am not yet up to.

PostPosted: June 15th, 2020, 9:15 am 

DougB wrote:
recped wrote:

Standing beside your canoe in less than an inch of water pretty much out of site of land has it's appeal, it's a BIG sky but I think that gets tired fast.

This about sums it up.

I consider the bay paddle a necessary headache to finish off some of the James Bay rivers. A primary paddling destination? No thanks. My experience is limited to 25 km from the Broadback 25 km from the Pontax back to Fort Rupert where I had to paddle uncomfortably far from shore and deal with wind, choppy water and the powerful outflow of rivers. I had ideal conditions on both occasions. I was happy to have a boat shuttle for the 80 ish km crossing from the Harricana over to the Moose where the motor boats were weather bound for 2 days
and I also enjoy the challenge

It sounds as if youre determined to make a go of it. Hear it now beleive it later.

Just reaching out to find out more information about the paddle from the Broadback to Waskaganish/Fort Rupert. We are working on getting a water taxi... but just in case we can't get one, how protected is the area from the elements? Did you do a paddle at high tide and come back in at high-tide... or could you get into town at any tides? Any good resources to share. We are relatively new at Big Bay paddling... and want to get a full handle on it, if it is something to be considered or required.

Thanks,
Jared

PostPosted: June 15th, 2020, 1:22 pm 

The paddle is or can be a slog but in relative terms it's not too bad. You can do it at either low or high tide, although it might be shallow close to shore at low tide there are no extended tidal flats such as you find around Moosonee.

The two main issues are the prevailing winds which you will be paddling against and the last little bit where you are paddling against the outflow of the Rupert.

I found the most frustrating part is that after the community becomes visible it seems to never get any closer no matter how hard you paddle!

There are places to camp at the mouth, at a native camp on river right and on the left shore.

PostPosted: June 15th, 2020, 2:15 pm 

Both times I've paddled to Waskaganish we had great weather. First time coming off the Pontax, second time we sailed into town. Had a tail wind for almost the entire way.
Hope you have the same weather.
rab