View topic - Perth Area Day Paddling

It is currently June 26th, 2019, 11:58 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Perth Area Day Paddling
PostPosted: June 23rd, 2019, 8:00 pm 

Any good suggestions for the Perth - Smith Falls area?
I would especially enjoy marshy river sections and picnic-worthy shorelines.
I have the Otty Lake boat launch in mind, but wasn't to sure about the rivers in the area.

PostPosted: June 24th, 2019, 8:54 am 

You can put in at Last Duel Park in Perth and paddle down to Beveridge locks. If the current is running strong, which it shouldn't be at this time of the year, you can drive down to the locks and paddle up to Perth and back again, so you have the current on your return when you're more tired. There is a marshy sectrion in the middle of the route, and two narrow sections at either end. Not really any place to stop for a picnic except at the exit out into the marshy area from the Perth end. There is an observation platform there, but never having stopped there, I can't say anything more about it.

PostPosted: June 24th, 2019, 9:13 am 

Otty Lake isn't really marshy, unless you paddle Jebbs Creek. Jebbs used to be really good bass fishing, but not sure how it is today. I hear Otty is still good for bass.
Jebbs Creek does make its way into the Tay also.
You can paddle upstream on the Tay from the Rogers Rd bridge - go as far as you want - all the way to Christie Lake, though that would be a long paddle for the kids.

rab

PostPosted: June 24th, 2019, 4:28 pm 

Thanks Daryll. I'll look out for that platform. Is there big boat traffic going through the marsh and the Beaveridge Locks?
rab - is Jebb Creek at the very north end of Otty?

PostPosted: Yesterday, 8:40 am 

jmk60 wrote:
Thanks Daryll. I'll look out for that platform. Is there big boat traffic going through the marsh and the Beaveridge Locks?
rab - is Jebb Creek at the very north end of Otty?

There is some motorboat traffic. I can't recall seeing what I'd call "big" boats. They tend to stay on the main Rideau canal route. I can definitely say that I have never encountered PWCs, jetskis or high-speed racers, which is a nice change from the Rideau! You may have to hug the shoreline in the two narrow sections, but the motor boats have always been couteous when I've come across them. My experiences have been on weekends which I would think would be the times of highest traffic volumes. If you can paddle mid-week, I would expect you might see very few motor boats (maybe some people out fishing).

PostPosted: Yesterday, 8:54 am 

Yes, Jebbs Creek flows out of the north end of the lake into the Tay Marsh.

rab