View topic - LF weekend canoe-to site for 30 within 2 hours of Ottawa

It is currently October 15th, 2019, 1:31 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: February 5th, 2018, 9:30 pm 

Hey folks, our Scout troop's spring camp is normally on Crotch Lake North Frontenac Parklands, and that is still certain a possibility but I am looking for more options. The problem I have with Crotch this year is that our troop is a lot bigger than usual and I am only familiar with the northern part of Crotch. There are not really any site clusters big enough for us even with park officials permission to overpopulate a bit beyond the 6 per site limit. 73,74,75 could work with one of the nearby sites, but I am not really fond of those sites they are very woodsy, buggy, and swampy.

There are a lot of clusters that could be workable in the southern lake but I have never been down there. 52-58 could work.

Nearby Big Gull and Kashwakamak have some possibilities but I have never been there either.

Frontenac Provincial Park has a similar limitation and their clusters hold only 24 if you get all 4 sites. And they have absolutely no flexibility on overpopulating.

Any ideas?

PostPosted: February 6th, 2018, 8:32 am 

La Verendrye has reservable group sites. Le Domaine may be three hours from Ottawa

PostPosted: February 6th, 2018, 1:59 pm 

Yeah we normally go there on our long trip (5 day) but that is a little far for a weekender.

Hoping to do Circuit 15 this year on the long trip.

PostPosted: February 7th, 2018, 8:35 pm 

How many people are going? Sounds like crown land may be an option (no size limits)

My Backcountry Website: www.explorethebackcountry.com

PostPosted: February 8th, 2018, 10:37 am 

My problem with crown land is taking a chance of not getting a spot.

One possibility I am thinking of is Lake of 2 Rivers in Algonquin Park. I vastly prefer something more backwoods but that is a nice campsite and as the headwaters of the Madawaska also folds into a desire I have to concentrate on some local rivers and possibly chip away at traversing the whole river over time by doing it piece by piece. I have a similar idea with the Mississippi (in Eastern Ontario near Ottawa)

PostPosted: February 8th, 2018, 1:46 pm 

Have you considered BSA camps in the northern Adirondacks? Massawepie or Sabattis may fit your needs and I believe they do rent space off season.
https://www.senecawaterways.org/massawepie
http://www.cnyscouts.org/camping/sabatt ... servation/

PostPosted: February 8th, 2018, 2:16 pm 

Nope, not going to consider crossing into the US with my troop. But thanks anyway.

PostPosted: February 8th, 2018, 2:29 pm 

Prospector16 wrote:
Nope, not going to consider crossing into the US with my troop. But thanks anyway.

Sorry to hear that. For many years BSA scouts in the Adirondack region (and with participants from elsewhere in the northeastrn US) would share an international camporee with Scouts Canada on Wellesley Island. It was a Famous event for patch showing and trading. One year it was held on the US side, alternating years on the Canadian side. One year it was held at Upper Canada Village. Always looked forward to a fantastic time to interact with our neighbors.

PostPosted: February 8th, 2018, 5:01 pm 

Yes that is Brotherhood and is still ongoing today. One of the troops I've been with has a tradition of going every year.

The other troop I am with right now used to go to the Adirondacks every year to hike a peak but I put an end to that this year with the current crazy man in the White House. Realistically speaking it was already a difficult endeavor taking someone else's kids across the border, and invariably left out a few Scouts every year because of visa constraints (did not have Canadian passport).

I've been on 4 of those trips and had a great time on every one. But I do not regret for 1 second putting an end to it.

PostPosted: February 8th, 2018, 7:14 pm 

No crazier than "peoplekind".

PostPosted: February 9th, 2018, 9:09 am 

The point is, I think, that when you go as a group, no one is involuntarily left behind. Great philosophy for a canoe trip!!

PostPosted: February 9th, 2018, 3:57 pm 

Thinking more about it I would consider crown land as long as there is a very high probability of it being low traffic and we'd get a spot. For example, one place I like to go is Wabun Lake just behind the Calabogie Ski Hill. However it is a very popular spot and not a place I would even remotely consider if I had to ensure a Scout troop had a place to camp.

With that in mind does anyone have any input on the Lower Madawaska Provincial Park? It is a non operational PP but says it has 36 canoe-to campsites. Does anyone have GPS coordinates of those sites? Any more info?

Or an specific recommendations on crown land locations that are very likely to be available?