View topic - Algonquin GPS Data

It is currently June 17th, 2019, 11:51 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Algonquin GPS Data
PostPosted: March 4th, 2018, 8:46 am 

Hey folks, does anyone know of some publicly available GPS data for Algonquin? I found some on the Paddle Planner website but it has an oddity that it has all the lakes and other bodies of water outlined. I managed to separate out the campsites since that was relatively easy to do (but still pretty manual) and so I put this map together with just the campsites. In doing so I also had to overcome a limit of google maps KML imports - it will only import the first 2000 objects and there are about 2150 campsites in Algonquin it seems. To do that I had to learn how to use Google Fusion Tables, which are pretty neat and gets me one step closer to (but still pretty far from) an interactive crowd-source map!

http://aws.prospector16.com/algonquin-campsites.html

So above is the campsite data stripped out of the Paddle Planner data, and then below is what is left which includes portages but also the outlines of all the bodies of water. I took a good hard look at the data and it does not look like it will be possible to separate the two of them.

http://aws.prospector16.com/algonquin-portages.html

I'm looking for portage data and also paddle data.

Post subject: Re: Algonquin GPS Data
PostPosted: March 4th, 2018, 4:35 pm 

OK I was playing around some more with the full dataset from Paddle Planner and trying different things, and noticed that it seemed to be the case that portage routes appeared first in the file, and then some time later came the outlines of lakes and such. And also noticed that stuff inside the park came before stuff outside the park.

So the next part was not easy ... a lot of manual editing.

I started by going into my editor (vi of course) and counting out the first 500 lines drawn and saving that to its own file. Then I loaded it into google maps to see what it looked like. Yup, I was on to something.

Knowing the line number in the file for the 500th line, I went back to the original and counted out 100 more. Then saved that and loaded it into google maps.

I repeated that process manually adding 100 each time until I got to a point where it looked like it was adding lakes and points outside the park. I think it was either 800 or 900 I forget now. But once I got there I started doing something similar but starting with the full 800 or 900 and taking away about 7 or 8 at time.

I repeated that process 4 or 5 times until I finally think I identified the last portage.

And here we go - my map of Algonquin portages!

http://www.prospector16.com/p/algonquin-portages.html

I do not yet have a 100% guarantee this is complete, but based on what I saw I think it is.

I'll play around some more with the remainder of the data.

PostPosted: March 5th, 2018, 9:09 am 

I'm seeing some inaccuracies... The track data looks as bad as the FOA map (portages in wrong bays, opposite side of river etc) My guess is its original source is the same outdated gov dataset (Go to LIO warehouse and download the provincial trail network for GIS: https://www.javacoeapp.lrc.gov.on.ca/geonetwork/srv/en/main.home). A couple clicks and you have trail, launch, campsite and route data for the entire province.

Jeffery M has a ton of referenced Algonquin data. His older Jeff's Maps initiatives were all GPS friendly via Avenza.

My Backcountry Website: www.explorethebackcountry.com

Last edited by Stajanleafs on March 5th, 2018, 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: March 5th, 2018, 9:30 am 

Thanks for the feedback - OK if the data is bad maybe I'll just nuke it.

I'll have a look at what you suggested to get new data.

PostPosted: March 5th, 2018, 3:40 pm 

OK I downloaded that data from the Ontario site but it is not clear to me what format it is in nor how I could use it. DB3 format some of it - so I guess I need a copy of DB3.

I'll have to do some more digging but if anyone has any pointers please let me know.

EDIT: Actually I'm not even sure I have the right data. I search "canoe" and nothing obvious comes up. Here are the files I have

4 zip files with these names:

FME_73741345_1520263648923_3004.zip
FME_7A771345_1520263514600_8228.zip
FME_73741345_1520263713905_10724.zip
FME_7A771345_1520263588514_7176.zip

PostPosted: March 5th, 2018, 4:03 pm 

I am carrying on this discussion in this new post since it is of a more general nature

http://www.myccr.com/phpbbforum/viewtop ... 22&t=46565