View topic - Obonga-Ottertooth Provincial Park

It is currently December 16th, 2019, 2:23 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: March 23rd, 2018, 9:41 am 

Just trying to glean some information for future bucket list trips. Oh how they grow ever steadily 8)

Has anyone paddled from Kashishibog to Obonga Lake in Obonga-Ottertooth Provincial Park? I do not see coverage of this in the Wabakimi maps. Seems to be a lot of canyons and falls towards Ottertooh Lake. Looks like it would be a great loop route when combined with the Kopka. Up on Ottertooh and down on the Kopka for the whitewater. I don't see as many rapids on the Ottertooth (mainly falls?), but would imagine upstream would require tons of lining/wading. My guess is ports are not in great shape/non-existent once you get past Otthertooth?? Ottertooth towards Survey looks the most difficult, but also the most beautiful...

Any resources would be great!
EDIT: Graham Area Canoe Route?

My Backcountry Website: www.explorethebackcountry.com

PostPosted: March 23rd, 2018, 5:40 pm 

Obonga-Ottertooth Provincial Park marks the southern boundary of the Wabakimi Area defined by Friends of Wabakimi (FOW). One of our FOW volunteer crews is planning to explore and document (i.e., map) this route in the first 2 weeks of July, 2018 from Kashishibog Lake to Obonga Lake.

The Kopka River route from Kashishibog Lake to Lake Nipigon Lake was explored and documented last year (2017) by another of our volunteer crews and is detailed in Volume Five of our newly-published Wabakimi Canoe Route Maps booklet. The maps in this publication include the route upstream on the Brightsand River from Allan Water Bridge to the headwaters of the Kopka River via Kashishibog River to Redsand Lake.

FOW offers unlimited, complementary route planning to its members. If you choose to embark on this trip, we would welcome a trip report.

PostPosted: September 12th, 2019, 8:26 am 

Abundant recent information on this trip here:

http://canoeing.com/ottertooth-river-trip-report/

PostPosted: September 12th, 2019, 11:06 am 

Yep, Vern Fish takes his cousin, Dave Fish, on these rugged scouting trips... we kid him about it. I think Vern said that was one of the toughest routes he has done.

PostPosted: September 12th, 2019, 12:22 pm 

I got in touch with him for some extra details. Did a loop through Wabakimi and the Kopka instead due to timing. Still plan on paddling this at some point in the future.

My Backcountry Website: www.explorethebackcountry.com