View topic - Shoulder Season canoeing

It is currently October 15th, 2019, 3:51 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Shoulder Season canoeing
PostPosted: April 15th, 2018, 11:04 am 

Its that time of year again! ... just when I think I can start to canoe, winter comes back!, Well maybe I have to settle for skiing with the canoe.
25+ cm here in Gravenhurst! Hope today’s forecasted 30+ mm of freezing rain stays away!

A link to some videos and pic:

https://www.flickr.com/gp/76927845@N07/653904

PostPosted: April 15th, 2018, 12:30 pm 

Waterhunter, on behalf of all forum users, I hereby give you our blessing for your playing "Silly Buggers" on such a day. This evil weather can push us to extreme states of fiddly-ness that no amount of serious canoe tripping can ever prepare us for. In London, Ontario as I write this we are sitting under layers of freezing slime. I had packed up my skis and come home hoping for a brief rest interval between ski and paddle seasons. Like maybe 2-3 days. It's now 3-4 weeks and I'm getting sillier by the hour. Your video, though, impressed me greatly: exploring the under-explored and oftentimes subtle interface between backcountry skiing and paddling. I noticed, and heartily approved of, your 75 mm BC bindings and what appear to be NATO-issued Asnes powder boards. I was, at first, puzzled by the absence of ski poles, but see that you've mastered the fine art of paddle-poling in good powder. Both my wife and Chuck Norris (an old ski-and-paddle buddy from way back) agree with me that you still need to work a little on effective embarking and disembarking from the boat. And perhaps, not to seem overcritical, more efficient kick-and-glide. But then again, who doesn't need to strive for improvement in those two key areas?

PostPosted: April 15th, 2018, 12:40 pm 

Freezing rain just started in downtown Ottawa and the wind is really picking up.

3-4 hours ago there was nothing downtown but a friend deep in the southern suburbs was reporting a blizzard

PostPosted: April 15th, 2018, 5:59 pm 

That's Great! Thanks for going to all the effort and thanks for posting.

PostPosted: April 15th, 2018, 7:03 pm 

Maybe if you were Snowhunter you might have better luck! :D

Old canoeists never die---they just smell that way.

PostPosted: April 16th, 2018, 6:07 am 

martin2007 wrote:
I noticed, and heartily approved of, your 75 mm BC bindings and what appear to be NATO-issued Asnes powder boards.

I now use second-hand downhill skis (bought at a re-store for $10 each) as I always break the $300 "backcountry skis currently sold. Maybe with teflon and/or some super glide wax I'll be able to paddle the canoe through the snowy forests :)

PostPosted: April 17th, 2018, 12:54 pm 

Any trip-worthy lakes open yet in Central Ontario? Kawarthas, Haliburton, Muskoka?
I'm overdue for some spring paddling!

PostPosted: April 17th, 2018, 1:24 pm 

There hasn't been a clear satellite picture in over a week. However it looks like the big Kawarthas are open. Sturgeon, Pigeon, Stoney, Chemong.

Ive got reports that rivers still have ice shelves and are not paddle safe.

I wouldnt head into the bush quite yet.