View topic - Thanksgiving Trip to Killarney

It is currently January 27th, 2021, 12:45 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: May 23rd, 2018, 8:54 pm 

Hi,

I just booked a three-night trip to Killarney over Thanksgiving. 2 nights on Boundary, and one on Ruth Roy, with the intention of hiking Silver Peak, which I have never done.

I had a great chat today with an outfitter, who suggested these lakes were not the best for being surrounded by the white/pink mountains - although the hike had a great payoff.

Her suggestion was to hike the crack and then head to Muriel, and hike along the trail near Artist Lake. This seems more sensible to me. It does look like Muriel sites are South facing, which may or may not be problematic for sunshine at that time of year.

Any thoughts one way or the other? Any input appreciated.

MT

PostPosted: May 23rd, 2018, 9:37 pm 

I'll be up there the same weekend doing both trails Silver Peak and The Crack. The Crack is nice, but Silver Peaks is just an overall more breathtaking viewpoint. I'd stick with your original plan, and possibly even get an early start on your last day and hike the crack (starting from the highway) and then head home afterwards. Especially since it's Thanksgiving weekend and hopefully fall colours will be at peak, you don't want to skip Silver Peaks.

In terms of campsites, Boundary is a nice site, and it's private (which is great since that weekend will be very busy), but you're right that it doesn't have the traditional Killarney views. If you want a site with a better view, you can try your luck with David Lake, but there's no guarantee you get any specific site and it will get fully booked so you might spend a while paddling around looking. Also there's a couple of cottages on the lake.

Between paddling through the park and doing the Silver Peak hike, you'll be surrounded by the scenery even if your Boundary campsite doesn't have the specific view. The end of the portage into Boundary is a massive rock you'll need to maneuver down, so trust me you'll get your first experience of the Killarney mountains then :)

Personally, I say stick with your plan, and if it's possible to add The Crack as well, do that.

PostPosted: May 24th, 2018, 6:21 am 

Muriel is probably the better lake for basecamping if you want to spend time up in the rocks since you can get to it from George lake in several hours. You can get access to both the south and central quartzite ridges there... Gulch Hill is one of the highest and there are good views east over Killarney lake to SP, from the Teardrop lake area, and south and west out over GB from the eastern twin peak (the western peak of GH is overgrown with no clear view). Also canoeing in OSA which is one of the most scenic lakes in the park. The high peak at the NE end of OSA is worth doing and has views including north to Sudbury, like SP does.

Downside of Muriel is people sometimes paddling past the campsites going along the popular OSA - Baie Fine route. Boundary seems like a much more isolated place although I've never been there. You might find The Crack and SP sort of popular and overused although on the T-giving weekend that might not be an issue.

PostPosted: May 24th, 2018, 12:07 pm 

I was on Silver Peak over Thanksgiving about 25 years ago, I'd estimate there were 50+ people at the top and back at that time the George Lake was virtually empty. I imagine these days SP would be overrun that weekend especially if the weather is nice.

Note about global warming, in the late 80's I was going to Killarney every Thanksgiving and there was usually at least a touch of snow on the ground, doubt that happens much any more. No snow and warm means lots of visitors (it's still very nice).

PostPosted: May 24th, 2018, 2:19 pm 

Boundary is up there as one of my favourite campsites I've ever stayed on in the backcountry. Not a traditional Killarney view, but you are somewhat surrounded by hills/mountains, and it is very secluded. The portage in is a bit of a bear, and that cliff you have to somehow get your canoe down and into the water can be tricky. Also note the lake is a "dead" lake, so no fishing either.

If I was doing a weekend trip, I'd even see if Bell lake was available, especially for the eastern-shore campsites. Great views of Silver Peak, easy to get to. Bit of a paddle to the hike to Silver Peak start, but shouldn't be anything that is a huge issue for you.

Tim

PostPosted: May 26th, 2018, 1:25 pm 

Thanks for the insight everyone. Still a little tough as opinions are divided!

FYI, I've visited several times. Have been to Norway, Killarney, Nellie, Grace, and have hiked the crack and bushwhacked in those places.

PostPosted: May 26th, 2018, 3:35 pm 

If you've been to the centre of the quartzite hills then you should go to Silver Peak this time.

Just my meaningless opinion but if the weather is halfway decent it's a great hike with spectacular views even if it is a bit "crowded". With Thanksgiving as early as is possible this year the colours should be fantastic.

PostPosted: May 27th, 2018, 12:52 pm 

recped wrote:
Just my meaningless opinion but if the weather is halfway decent it's a great hike with spectacular views even if it is a bit "crowded".

I agree. I went on a busy mid-August weekend and went up to the peak pretty late in the day; there were tons of people walking back down, but my group was the only one at the top.

OP if you want to avoid crowds just go very early in the day or very late in the afternoon/early evening. Earlier is safer since if you get lost or delayed, you still have a day of light ahead of you .

PostPosted: May 27th, 2018, 8:52 pm 

I really like the campsite on Boundary. Very secluded with no through traffic. No, the views aren't those of OSA. Yes, the put in to Boundary is for mountain goats, and if it is wet, there's a rock face on the climb from David that can catch you out for slipperiness, but the short paddle from the campsite to the shortcut Silver Peak trailhead cuts a fair bit off the hiking time.

Silver Peak will be busy. but you should still be able to find a quiet little corner to call your own.

PostPosted: May 28th, 2018, 7:20 pm 

Thanks again for the input! Will leave the trip as-is, and hike to Topaz another time.

PostPosted: May 29th, 2018, 11:02 am 

This discussion of a Thanksgiving trip to Silver Peak reminds me of a story.
Several years ago my son and his family went up Silver Peak in the fall. They were there alone until another family arrived. Mike speaks some danish and recognized that they were speaking it. He started talking to them. They had flown into Toronto the evening before and driven north to some small lodge. They had been advised to go straight to Silver Peak. So they had only been in the country for less than a day.
Apparently the man spread his arms showing the great expansive view and said something like "so this is what Canada is like".