View topic - Lone Tree Lake Route Info

It is currently July 7th, 2020, 8:13 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: July 23rd, 2018, 8:15 pm 

I'm just wondering if anyone has any info that they could share about Lone Tree Lake near the Magnetawan River.

I'm planning an easy trip with some friends and am looking for a new route. I've found a little bit about this route but not much, so I am hoping someone has some knowledge about what the sites are like on the lake or what kind of condition the portages are in?

Thanks

PostPosted: July 25th, 2018, 8:43 pm 

Have not been there for five years but the portages were in good shape and there are at least two great sites on lonetree with room for at least four tents, the one on the right as you enter the lake from the south is great as well as the one at the end of the lake on the right again high up on a bluff. No thunderboxes the last time we were there but the sites were clean.&

Listen to advice and accept instruction, and in the end you will be wise. Prov. 19:20

PostPosted: July 26th, 2018, 11:07 am 

cbert wrote:
what the sites are like on the lake or what kind of condition the portages are in?

The portages in (from the south) are well travelled and wide at times. The longest, at Naiscoot, always has a stretch of mud and puddles to get through. Not hard though.

Main camp on LT is at the south end. It has a large sandy landing beach and room for quite a few tents. Good for large groups. There's a makeshift table for cooking, large firepit, thunderbox in the back.

Just to the south of that, within ear shot, is another smaller site.

Around the corner, just to the east is another good, out-of-the-way site with sturdy rock shelves/seating area.

Up the lake, in the small bay on the east side, is a good large camp at the top of the sloping rock. There's another hidden camp up abvove the sheer rock at the entrance to the bay.

At the north end, is one more site.

No fires right now though. :tsk:

PostPosted: July 27th, 2018, 10:30 pm 

Thanks for all the tips. They are really helpful. I think we might give this lake a shot then.

And ya, definitely no fires right now. Seems like the whole province is tinder dry and ready to go up in flames.