View topic - newbie: Le Verendrye circuit suggestions

It is currently October 19th, 2019, 8:09 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: July 25th, 2018, 9:49 pm 

Hi, I'm new to the site and hoping for some advice. My 16-yo son and I did a 4-day trip last yr to LV and loved it. We took it easy and just island hopped on Cabonga reservoir. This yr we are looking at some of the suggested 3-4 day circuits. I read as much on these forums (and the LV sepac site) on LV as I could find and it sounds like 30 or 34 would be good but I am open to other (better?) suggestions. Are they too close to the roads for solitude? Is it a coin toss for 30 vs 34? Wish I had time for both!

We are fit and have lots of canoeing/camping experience. We want to fish a bit and not have to push it too much each day. We like rivers/lakes equally so no major preference there. Also, I wonder what this year's dry weather will bring for creek connections on 30/34 routes. Any one been on these recently? Any advice is appreciated.

Cheers

PostPosted: July 26th, 2018, 6:37 am 

I did 30 back in 2014 and there is certainly good solitude there, though it does go past some car camping spots. I found that there were not a lot of really great swimming spots on the route though there were some. Of the 3 routes I've done now it is my least favorite because it is a bit dirtier. That's connected with the less-than-great swimming opportunities.

10+11 is a good combination for a 4 day trip - I did that in 2015 and absolutely loved it.

I did not get to complete 15 a few weeks ago so can't really comment on the whole route. We had to backtrack because of extreme weather.

PostPosted: July 26th, 2018, 7:30 am 

Prospector16 wrote:
I did 30 back in 2014 and there is certainly good solitude there, though it does go past some car camping spots. I found that there were not a lot of really great swimming spots on the route though there were some. Of the 3 routes I've done now it is my least favorite because it is a bit dirtier. That's connected with the less-than-great swimming opportunities.

10+11 is a good combination for a 4 day trip - I did that in 2015 and absolutely loved it.

I did not get to complete 15 a few weeks ago so can't really comment on the whole route. We had to backtrack because of extreme weather.

Thanks for the suggestion. I thought that 10, 11, and 15 might be rather busy given their proximity to Le Domaine. Maybe I should reconsider those routes. That's unfortunate about 30 being dirty. Last yr among the islands on Cabonga I don't think we saw evidence of former campers anywhere.

PostPosted: July 26th, 2018, 8:01 am 

35.. I did this with 37 solo a few years ago and saw very few people.

PostPosted: July 26th, 2018, 8:33 am 

+1 for Circuit 34 (Portage-Larouche) Map number 2. I have done this circuit many times. Nice beach sites. Easy portages.

MikeD.

PostPosted: July 26th, 2018, 8:39 am 

I don't mean dirty in the way you took that - the waterways were mucky and lined with thick deadfall on both sides. Just not well maintained, not a lot of places to pull over.

There was not a lot of garbage left behind or anything like that.

On 10+11 there was a truly amazing spot where you paddle between two lakes through this massive reed bed. I think it was around site 11-17. This one small section of the trip left big memories with a lot of the people who were on that trip. Let me see if I can find photos of it.

OK here it is. The pictures really do not do it justice. Just a couple of weeks ago I was talking with some of the folks who were on this one with us back in 2015 and out of nowhere they started talking about the huge reed bed we paddled through. I really want to do this route again just to visit that place again.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/jifnu1VH6HGJ96zW6

PostPosted: July 26th, 2018, 2:58 pm 

Prospector16 wrote:
I don't mean dirty in the way you took that - the waterways were mucky and lined with thick deadfall on both sides. Just not well maintained, not a lot of places to pull over.

There was not a lot of garbage left behind or anything like that.

On 10+11 there was a truly amazing spot where you paddle between two lakes through this massive reed bed. I think it was around site 11-17. This one small section of the trip left big memories with a lot of the people who were on that trip. Let me see if I can find photos of it.

OK here it is. The pictures really do not do it justice. Just a couple of weeks ago I was talking with some of the folks who were on this one with us back in 2015 and out of nowhere they started talking about the huge reed bed we paddled through. I really want to do this route again just to visit that place again.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/jifnu1VH6HGJ96zW6

Looks gorgeous! Thanks for the suggestions. It's going to be a tough decision and I'm sure we'll enjoy any of those routes.

PostPosted: July 26th, 2018, 3:10 pm 

If you did 30 don't miss having a swim at this tiny little island. I'm not a fan of big sandy beaches I like having a piece of rock to jump off into very deep water, and this was about the only place on that route to do that. I did not fish here but I also suspect the fishing would be very good.

I guess you would call it a "swimming hole"

https://www.google.ca/maps/@47.1435854, ... a=!3m1!1e3

PostPosted: July 28th, 2018, 12:17 am 

Hi,

Any thoughts on circuit #77 vs. 34, or whatever? I'm considering 77 because it sounds the most remote/pretty.

Thanks,

PostPosted: July 28th, 2018, 7:43 am 

77 has some nice remoteness. But Grand Lac Victoria is anything but remote and it is accessible by power boat. When I was there they were occupying some canoe camping sites as they did have a couple of canoes.

I believe that motorized craft aren't supposed to occupy canoe camping sites and the rule enforcement may have been tightened. Nevertheless I found a really too nice a site for a solo canoeist further up the lake.

I also camped on an island in that same lake same trip early on and probably due to the midweek no one was on the lake.

PostPosted: July 28th, 2018, 7:03 pm 

So would you do 77 again, or another circuit(s)?