View topic - RESEARCH HELP: Looking for experienced paddlers of ELA

It is currently August 14th, 2020, 12:36 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: August 14th, 2018, 11:24 am 

Hello all,

I am currently in the research process for my Master's thesis (MA in Geography) and require some help finding participants as well as ideal camping areas in my research site. I am studying the environmental and place-based values of groups in the Experimental Lakes Area of northwestern Ontario, Canada. One of the groups I am focusing on is the outdoor recreationists of the area. However, while I have read about and heard that the region is fantastic for a variety of camping endeavors, I am having trouble finding more than a handful of recent examples. Due to the scope and rationale behind my research process, I am looking only for people that have formed an attachment to the area through an experience. Essentially, if you value a space or specific place in or near the ELA due to its physical characteristics or an emotional experience there then I would like to talk to you to learn what influenced those meanings. The spatial scope of my research extends to areas as far as Dryden and Kenora, including the Winnange Lake Provincial Park and the Eagle Dogtooth Provincial Park.

Bear in mind that this does not mean any comment or message to me is used for my research, this is simply just a brainstorming exercise and outreach request. If you or anyone you know has camped in the ELA, please feel free to message me and tell the story! It is an important place and learning the different values and comparisons between each group could greatly benefit all those involved.

I am also looking for good canoe routes in the area. Any level of difficulty.

If you have not been to the region but know of some resources, please share those as well. Any information will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Corey

PostPosted: August 15th, 2018, 12:48 am 

Your spatial scope from Kenora to Dryden seems to include a lot more than than the ELA area. I've just returned to this region and find it weird that people tend to do this - to talk about "the ELA area" in very broad, vague terms. I'd find it more useful to use more specifics, like access points or parks, because most of the area has nothing to do with the experimental lakes, so it's confusing.

Hoping to re-connect soon with the Hillock and Dryberry areas. Many summer camps (Stephens) and other organizations (Nature Manitoba) have put many paddlers through the area, creating strong, life-long connections. Seems there's a fair bit of info on-line documenting routes through Nature Manitoba and Paddle Manitoba.

Good luck with your research.

Pat.

PostPosted: August 15th, 2018, 9:00 am 

yarnellboat wrote:
Your spatial scope from Kenora to Dryden seems to include a lot more than than the ELA area. I've just returned to this region and find it weird that people tend to do this - to talk about "the ELA area" in very broad, vague terms. I'd find it more useful to use more specifics, like access points or parks, because most of the area has nothing to do with the experimental lakes, so it's confusing.

Thanks for the tip... I should clarify that my intentions behind that wording were for finding the local research participants and not the physical research space (I've been writing too many papers so my blog language is a little rusty, sorry!). The ACTUAL physical spatial scope is the lakes of the ELA... those designated for scientific research and those not.

Also, thanks for the recommendations on more blogs. I am finding (and please correct me if I'm wrong) that this is more popular for Winnipeggers and Manitobans.

PostPosted: August 15th, 2018, 12:17 pm 

It’s been a destination for the Manitoba canoeing community for decades including summer camps that have out tripping programs.

PostPosted: August 20th, 2018, 2:26 pm 

If you would be interested in give a presentation on the research I'm pretty sure Paddle Manitoba would be willing to host an open house style event if that would be helpful.

We have paddled there (Rushing River to Vermilion Bay) many times but there are many whose experience goes back much longer. Even we have seen many changes in the the time we have been in Canada. The area sees much more se by paddlers and this is very visible in the condition of the campsites.

PostPosted: August 30th, 2018, 9:22 am 

FYI, in the current issue of Canadian Geographic magazine there is a little 1-pager on the ELA. It includes a map, and there are some lakes ID'd as ELA lakes that are out of what I thought of as the core area, west over to Ethelma Lake and the Berry R where I like to put in.

P.

PostPosted: September 18th, 2018, 12:06 pm 

In looking for route/loop possibilities of various lengths, I had some success Googling the series of lake names I was interested in. You could probably do the same if there are any particular lakes you're interested in.

My search, over towards the W of ELA, generated a few route descriptions from a website called Kenora Life, can't recall whether any of these water bodies are technically part of ELA use:

https://www.kenoralife.ca/wp-content/uploads/routed.pdf

https://www.kenoralife.ca/wp-content/uploads/routee.pdf

In re-looking for these routes, I found this index, and there's some routes in the area (e.g. Dryberry - Fiest):

https://www.kenoralife.ca/wp-content/up ... _index.pdf

There is also mention of these lakes on fishing forums and other canoeing forums that I haven't checked out.

Unfortunately (from my biased perspective as a canoeist interest in wilderness), you can now also find users of this area on forums dedicated to 4x4ing.

There was alo rock climbers interested in the area, no idea if that is still current:

http://www.accmanitoba.ca/climbing-guide/ela/

Also, have you contacted the ELA organization itself? Some people I know who use the area are either alumni of ELA or family of people who were connected to ELA - e.g. on my weekend trip in August, I ran into a couple that included a daughter of somebody who used to manage the ELA site 25 years ago. As mentioned above, outside of people directly connected to ELA, people who've been on canoe trips through summer camps based on Lake of the Woods would be a good bet to have connections to the area, though I'm not sure who you'd find them. And there may be a few lodges/camps (e.g. Highwind Lake Camp) with good info.

As I mentioned in your other post, people who use this area are self-sufficient and independent, not organized or channeled through any central source of info or management, so Googling the routes and uses may be one thing, finding the individual people who use the area may be another.

Pat.

Last edited by yarnellboat on September 18th, 2018, 5:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: September 18th, 2018, 12:08 pm 

Another search result led to a local outdoors supplier:

https://www.wildernesssupply.ca/wild-tr ... -lake-loop

And the related newspaper article:

https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/sport ... 99491.html

P.

PostPosted: September 18th, 2018, 5:16 pm 

And an actual brochure:

http://tourism.kenora.ca/wp-content/upl ... e-loop.pdf

P.