View topic - Route for 7d in Temagami region?

It is currently January 17th, 2020, 8:08 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: August 16th, 2018, 7:30 am 

Hi,
I try to plan a 7 days canoe trip in Temagami region (I've never was in this region) .
We would definitely like to choose a route that will give us a sense of remoteness and will be with nice views (mix of lakes and rivers). We are fit and we have a wilderness experience. For sure we would like to avoid busy lakes. Initially, we plan to make classic Mapple loop but because of the fire in Lake Evelyn park, we have to modify our plans.

I have a few alternatives:
First one is a 'great' loop Ferguson Bay - Diamond Lake - Florence Lake - Evelyn River - Diamond Lake. But I'm not sure if we can make this route because there is fire near Dry Lake.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1tbQptMDgXqSNM7vUquwnAZfYym5MriZk/view?usp=sharing

The second route - Ferguson Bay - Aston Lake - Barter Lake - Carpmor - Lake Evelyn - Willow -Frank Fall - Evelyn River -Diamond L. - Wakimika L. - Dorothy Lake - Nasmith R. -
- Obabika Rive -Obabika L. -> Bob L. ->Sharp Rock->Ferguson Bay

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1WOa6jSKWueur1DWiIYiRqL2xclM6aYRn/view?usp=sharing

Is it possible to make part Nasmith R.->Obabika R->Obabika L. in this direction? Is it a good route? Maybe you can recommend something different for us for 7 days?
It will be nice if you help us :)

Michal Szymanski
http://blog.szymanskich.net

PostPosted: August 16th, 2018, 9:46 am 

For a truly epic and memorable trip, fly in to scarecrow lake with Lakeland Airways (fantastic rates) and hike Ishpatina ridge (highest point in Ontario). From there you should be able to paddle through solace park, lady evelyn park (Florence Lake and the Lady Evelyn river), and return to start through Temagami.

PostPosted: August 17th, 2018, 8:41 am 

sbaillie wrote:
For a truly epic and memorable trip, fly in to scarecrow lake with Lakeland Airways (fantastic rates) and hike Ishpatina ridge (highest point in Ontario). From there you should be able to paddle through solace park, lady evelyn park (Florence Lake and the Lady Evelyn river), and return to start through Temagami.

I've condered such option. I think I've contacted with this company few months ago, but as I remember rate for Scarerow was high (at least for us), around 1000$/two people or even more.

Michał Szymanski

PostPosted: August 17th, 2018, 2:15 pm 

Though it would call for extra car travel - may be 3 hours each way - I'd also consider more remote western parts of Temagami, avoiding Temagami lake access altogether. For instance Beauty Lake Rd. / Montreal river - Smoothawater - Scarecrow / Ishpatina Mt. - Sturgeon R. - Solace park (Selkirk to Solace to Pilgrim)- Florence - S. Lady Evelyn river - N. Lady Evelyn river (Gamble etc.) - Smoothwater. It's not an easy route, but it's almost a perfect loop, terrific scenery, it allows for some variations and can be done in 7 days, weather permitting. I've spent 14 days in this area in June and seen no one (2 misguided hikers don't count).
You can also start at Gamble and do this loop in the opposite direction (Gamble-Florence-Solace-Smoothwater-Gamble).
If some whitewater is ok you might start on Kukagami lake, go north to the Sturgeon at Kettle falls, run it down to Kelly's farm (this year many rapids will probably require wading) and return to Kukagami via Mascinonge.
P.S. on your first loop Florence to Wakimika leg is lightly traveled and has some serious hills in both directions. On your second route I can't really comment, but Nasmith is not a river but a shallow creek (especially this dry season) and taking it from Dorothy to Obabika river would involve lots of ins and outs of your boat.

PostPosted: August 25th, 2018, 11:04 am 

I just got back from Temagami Lake Access. I won't be going back anytime soon. Cottages and motorboats. For paddlers i would recommend either a boat shuttle or starting somewhere else. I was not aware Lake Temagami was so busy.